201T Fuel tank replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmcsparron

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
I need to replace the fuel tank/housing on a Stihl 201T.
There are no guides about the process of dismantling and rebuild that I can find online.
Are any of you guys familiar with the procedure or know of a good online source to help guide my thick brain?
The saw fell 30ft out of a tree on to concrete and landed on the tank, cracking it open like a cracked open thing!

They really aren't that hard. If you have the new tank, it's kind of self explanatory.
1. Large clean work surface
2. Selection of torx drivers
3. Ziplocs or small Tupperware containers to hold fasteners for each piece, and a sharpie to label them
4. Take a picture at each stage of disassembly
5. I like to have a notebook handy for reminder notes for little things like wires and hoses, etc.

Tear into it and post if you get stuck

They really aren't that hard. If you have the new tank, it's kind of self explanatory.
1. Large clean work surface
2. Selection of torx drivers
3. Ziplocs or small Tupperware containers to hold fasteners for each piece, and a sharpie to label them
4. Take a picture at each stage of disassembly
5. I like to have a notebook handy for reminder notes for little things like wires and hoses, etc.

Tear into it and post if you get stuck
Hey JL. Thanks for replying. I did as you suggested and tore into it. It was easier than I imagined. I was worried about the top handle assembly but photographed it from many angles after exposing it. Wrapping insulation tape around the exposed handle kept all the connection rods in place while I replaced the tank. All good as new now and running perfect.
I also have a 200T that ain't running well. I'm gonna open a new thread to put the question out there. Maybe you'll shimmy over to it to see if you can help? Thanks again.

Hey JL. Thanks for replying. I did as you suggested and tore into it. It was easier than I imagined. I was worried about the top handle assembly but photographed it from many angles after exposing it. Wrapping insulation tape around the exposed handle kept all the connection rods in place while I replaced the tank. All good as new now and running perfect.
I also have a 200T that ain't running well. I'm gonna open a new thread to put the question out there. Maybe you'll shimmy over to it to see if you can help? Thanks again.
I can answer any questions on the 200t.

Back