2022 gardens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Time to start the 2022 season garden thread guys!
What are your ideas for this year? --- size of gardens, pots on porch, raised beds, containers, ---ALL are welcome here.
Post your equipment, what varieties you like and what tillage methods you use and how you process and store your harvest. Thanks!

After many years with no garden, I plan to have one this year. I have a few Troy-Bilt Horse tillers and a Wheel Horse 36" tiller and a couple of Wheel Horse tractors to mount it on.
I want to grow kitchen herbs in big pots, and the usual row crops in the 30'x100' garden. Beans, cucumbers, caged tomatoes, okra &etc. Cabbage, collards and kale for cooler weather crops.
God willing.

our garden for 2022 is going full bore. as its 202 Fall Garden. lots of tomatoes still. sugar snaps did well. herbs doing great!
P1010029.JPG
P1010030.JPG
P1010051.JPG

P1010003.JPG

After many years with no garden, I plan to have one this year. I have a few Troy-Bilt Horse tillers and a Wheel Horse 36" tiller and a couple of Wheel Horse tractors to mount it on.
I want to grow kitchen herbs in big pots, and the usual row crops in the 30'x100' garden. Beans, cucumbers, caged tomatoes, okra &etc. Cabbage, collards and kale for cooler weather crops.
God willing.
i like my TB Horse. once i started following D. Raymond's gardening how-to's and guidelines... in his book The Joy of Gardening... i never needed another book other than to look at pictures once in awhile! lol. still have it. has been used for reviews thru the years. solid advice. it is still avail numerous sources. i highly recommend it, if only for adding to a good gardening library...

1642660031887.png

amazon

google Garden Way's Joy of Gardening

or the 'bay, etc

i like my TB Horse. once i started following D. Raymond's gardening how-to's and guidelines... in his book The Joy of Gardening... i never needed another book other than to look at pictures once in awhile! lol. still have it. has been used for reviews thru the years. solid advice. it is still avail numerous sources. i highly recommend it, if only for adding to a good gardening library...

View attachment 957714

amazon

or the 'bay, etc
That is a good book!

View attachment 957714

amazon

or the 'bay, etc
Rhodales "Garden Problem Solver" is another good one

I will be adding a few raised beds this year. Wanted to do it last year but the price of 2x12's scared me away. Then I found a way to make them from cinderblocks and I'll try that. Fill the blocks with dirt and plant marigolds in them too. My biggest problem is consistent watering, so I'll set up a drip system on a timer.

Cinder blocks make excellent raised beds! --- also you can plant veggies in the holes around the outside of them. My friend does that in his and works great.
We usually plant wide rows that most people cant because of the lack of space. We do 4.5 acres so have room to wiggle a bit more.
The garden books focus on intensive planting which dont work for everybody but in a small garden it should do great.
The main thing that helps the most is compost, manures, etc. then plow it under deep.
Tillage will depend on how much topsoil you have. Some only have 6 inches on top of bedrock where here I have 5 to 6 feet of black dirt on top of clay, so what I do here wont work for everybody.---like subsoiling 3 feet deep!
We have to develop a method that is compatable to the area we live in.
I love to see how the different areas have different seasons and crops! That is what makes this thread so interesting.

Here's my list for planting this year. Cutting back to grow more soybeans.$$$$$
100 tomato plants.
50 Roma tomatoes.
About 500 green peppers and about 72 sweet Italian frying peppers.
4-5 acres of sweet corn.
About an acre of pumpkins and acorn squash.
1/2 acre of Indian corn.
Around 100 zucchini and yellow squash.
Row or 2 of greenbeans.
Turnips.
Cucumbers and pickles.
Mixed bag of Cole crops for the fall.
The asparagus should start shooting up around mid April. (Planted that 26 years ago. )

its realy early here to be even thinking garden yet. i want to try to do a better job mulching this year, so i dont need to weed. i have a bunch of loose straw up in teh mow. i'm thinking about backing a flat bed wagon in there, filling it up. then driving over tomatoes and laying the straw down, right after planting and see how that goes, for weed control.
plans for this year, is to put out a full flat of c alifornia wonder bells. maybe 12 tomato plants. other stuff gets added in as i can.

fertilizer is up 400% over last year locally. teh big guys are loading up a few acres of composting chicken manure. to put down for field corn this year for a nitrogen source. what ever is in my chicken coups, needs shoveled out and put on the corn fields. i have my piele on my feed lot of cow manure.to spread on my fields. i just need to selectively target my corn fields this year.

Here is a pic of my SIL digging a ditch with a 8HP Gravely and a rotary plow.

5wd0uDa.jpg

When he bought that home, he needed all the ditches improved,, the Gravely dug hundreds of feet of ditch,,

We also dug several hundred feet of trench to put 4" pipe in for gutter runoff,,
The Gravely will dig 8" deep easily in two passes, perfect for gutter runoff, if it is just across lawn,,

Back