2022 gardens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No fair.

We still can get frost/snow end of May. Mater are small as are peps. View attachment 1000043

With I'll leave you this.
hi MP
no chance of 'Caution - May Be Ice On Bridge' here!
i'll leave u with yesteday's garden pickings...
P1010013.JPG

got a few pix last night. been hauling water to the gardens all summer trying to keep things alive. Today we have a light rain so maybe that will help for a while!

Attachments

• DSCN0796.JPG
    DSCN0796.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0805.JPG
    DSCN0805.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0813.JPG
    DSCN0813.JPG
  • DSCN0790.JPG
    DSCN0790.JPG
  • DSCN0792.JPG
    DSCN0792.JPG
  • DSCN0789.JPG
    DSCN0789.JPG
  • DSCN0795.JPG
    DSCN0795.JPG
  • DSCN0794.JPG
    DSCN0794.JPG
  • DSCN0800.JPG
    DSCN0800.JPG
  • DSCN0798.JPG
    DSCN0798.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
got a few pix last night. been hauling water to the gardens all summer trying to keep things alive. Today we have a light rain so maybe that will help for a while!
That there is one big watering can! and garden.

How does the straw work for the tomatoes? Don't have to stake them? I usually stake them and put down hardwood leaves as a mulch. We've had problems with vole population explosion last 2-3 years, little bassturds love to hide under mulch........

My garden is good sized for a home garden. I use a real tractor/2-bottom plow/harrow to prep it. I have a rain catchment system from the house downspouts to 275-gal plastic totes, I can gravity feed down to the garden to more totes. I start filling them as soon as they won't freeze early spring.

My early stuff is just coming in well, late getting transplants out: broccoli, lettuce, summer squash, cabbage............have 100 taters in, 50 tomatoes, 50 peppers, that are growing well.
I got a ton of dill for your pickles!!!! LOL!! stuff grew like weeds this year and I usually cant get it to grow!!!!!!!!! go figure!!
My cukes are doing good, and whole patch of dill I'll have to transplant. I do some batches of pickles with garlic and horseraddish besides the pickling spices.
hi MP
no chance of 'Caution - May Be Ice On Bridge' here!
i'll leave u with yesteday's garden pickings...
View attachment 1000059
My biggest tomatoes are just green golf balls now.

Ya,-- I LOVE that watering can! LOL! ss and will never rust,-- has only had clean water in it since new, so I made out o.k. on it at the auction last week!
Tomatoes about the size of golf balls too,---be a long time til ripe.
The straw helps a lot and here it's more to hold moisture in and weeds down. does good for that and ya rodents years ago were why I quit using anything. The last few years they kinda moved on so this year I found some straw and started putting it down. Have enough for a few more rows but not the whole acre of tomatoes.
We do total of 4.5 acres in garden. Why??? when you figure out a good answer let me know as I have no idea why so much gets planted! lol!

Ya,-- I LOVE that watering can! LOL! ss and will never rust,-- has only had clean water in it since new, so I made out o.k. on it at the auction last week!
Tomatoes about the size of golf balls too,---be a long time til ripe.
The straw helps a lot and here it's more to hold moisture in and weeds down. does good for that and ya rodents years ago were why I quit using anything. The last few years they kinda moved on so this year I found some straw and started putting it down. Have enough for a few more rows but not the whole acre of tomatoes.
We do total of 4.5 acres in garden. Why??? when you figure out a good answer let me know as I have no idea why so much gets planted! lol!
Why? Good therapy,keeps you young and the food taste better than store bought!:happybanana: Great looking garden! Be Safe and Stay Cool!

We pig out on fresh veggies for sure! We freeze dry onions and sweetcorn every year. can a little of this and that. Make horseradish for a 6 month or so period.
The hot muggy weather will return tomorrow from the sounds of it. The light rain we just had was only about 4/10'th's or so. ground under taters wet only 2 inches down then dry and hard.

How does the straw work for the tomatoes? Don't have to stake them?

My early stuff is just coming in well, late getting transplants out: broccoli, lettuce, summer squash, cabbage............have 100 taters in, 50 tomatoes, 50 peppers, that are growing well.

My cukes are doing good, and whole patch of dill I'll have to transplant. I do some batches of pickles with garlic and horseraddish besides the pickling spices.

My biggest tomatoes are just green golf balls now.
zzzzxgt.JPG

Our 2022 plot….lots of borage, nepeta, calendula, taters, asparagus, onions, garlic and so on. Experimental “food forest” in the back where I have lilacs, butterfly bushes, comfrey, berries, bulbs and fruit trees all growing in a jumble…it’s all about 1/2 acre and keeps my little family and close friends fed most of the year. Add onto that a few deer, an elk, huckleberries and some trout and our cuisine is pretty decent!

3FA5FEBF-F83F-4656-8AED-570E558FEDB2.jpeg

wind storm yesterday here --- only 12 drops of rain from it here! 13 miles North of us got 3" in one hour with the winds that peaked at 70 in some places. They were excess of 50 here cause the turbines shut down at 50 and they did shut down!
been working on sweetcorn and onions. Weeds are about to get out of hand this time of the year. A lady from town came out and picked greenbeans, sweetcorn,yellow summer squash,and onions to take back to some of her friends. The left just before the storm hit.

Attachments

• DSCN0896.JPG
    DSCN0896.JPG
  • DSCN0893.JPG
    DSCN0893.JPG
wind storm yesterday here --- only 12 drops of rain from it here! 13 miles North of us got 3" in one hour with the winds that peaked at 70 in some places. They were excess of 50 here cause the turbines shut down at 50 and they did shut down!
been working on sweetcorn and onions. Weeds are about to get out of hand this time of the year. A lady from town came out and picked greenbeans, sweetcorn,yellow summer squash,and onions to take back to some of her friends. The left just before the storm hit.
That's some ominous looking storm clouds Sonny. It tried to rain here last evening but like you only about 12 drops. Running drip lines 12 hours or so every day.

Our 2022 plot….lots of borage, nepeta, calendula, taters, asparagus, onions, garlic and so on. Experimental “food forest” in the back where I have lilacs, butterfly bushes, comfrey, berries, bulbs and fruit trees all growing in a jumble…it’s all about 1/2 acre and keeps my little family and close friends fed most of the year. Add onto that a few deer, an elk, huckleberries and some trout and our cuisine is pretty decent!

View attachment 1003439
looks good MS - especially all that asparagus!! :yes:

my Kentucky Wonder pole beanss couple days ago! ....
P1010001.JPG

a couple onion pix for you! onion harvest is done. sweetcorn first planting done. second and third planting gave not one stalk of corn!---not a kernel ever came up! fourth planting is shoulder high now and with no rain it wont make anything.
a lot of the onions this year weigh 2+pounds which aint half bad.
one of the beets I cooked----- some of them are big and the whole row did good.
Carrots are still doing great, --- been eating them on a regular basis and they are tender and sweet this year.
had a good dill harvest too. Tomatoes just starting to give us a few, ---- been making juice out of them.

Attachments

• DSCN0910.JPG
    DSCN0910.JPG
  • DSCN0911.JPG
    DSCN0911.JPG
  • DSCN0904.JPG
    DSCN0904.JPG
  • DSCN0839.JPG
    DSCN0839.JPG
  • 20220712_143628.jpg
    20220712_143628.jpg
Man, you guys with your awesome looking sweet corn are making me very jealous. My first planting didn't come up worth a darn and none of my second or third plantings came up at all. I figure it was a combination of insects and being very dry.

I should get some pics though. Tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, and the brassicas all look pretty good so far. This year was the first year with a raised bed too, and everything in it is doing really well.

getting dry here too. squash and other vine crops are turning dead. cant haul/carry enough water to everything.
i am loosing stuff even with plenty water. have an evergreen ground cover, snipped some pcs when down in Galveston over 40 yrs ago. planted, grew big. now down to on section, and i see yellow starting in its center, too! :cry:
:cool:

Latest posts

Back