2022 gardens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a couple onion pix for you! onion harvest is done. sweetcorn first planting done. second and third planting gave not one stalk of corn!---not a kernel ever came up! fourth planting is shoulder high now and with no rain it wont make anything.
a lot of the onions this year weigh 2+pounds which aint half bad.
one of the beets I cooked----- some of them are big and the whole row did good.
Carrots are still doing great, --- been eating them on a regular basis and they are tender and sweet this year.
had a good dill harvest too. Tomatoes just starting to give us a few, ---- been making juice out of them.
onions doing well in refer. had to take down the string in kitchen. cooked up 3 other evening with dinner....
P1010001.JPG

I'll have to post something proper here, at some point. I actually run a business selling tomato/pepper plants and we have a large garden, as well. Here's a few pics of my pepper plants, a cool squash, and a "white" cucumber (supposed to be green, but there must have been a mutation in the genes).

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_075157_746.jpg
    IMG_20220721_075157_746.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220705_192856_390.jpg
    IMG_20220705_192856_390.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220621_090802_810.jpg
    IMG_20220621_090802_810.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 0
Do most of you guys have root cellars? How are you storing all your carrots, beets, potatoes, etc?
hi MS-

i do fall carrots, eat them. beets. have done. but prefer pickled best. and so canned from store just fine for me. spuds... have grown reds here. lasodas. but never so many that normal care can't keep them. no root cellars. in fact, hardly ever a cellar. not like homes when i lived in PNW~

I finally dug the onions and garlic last week. They did surprisingly well considering how dry it's been this year. The onions did very well, I think it really helped getting them planted the 1st week of may.

We've been getting a lot of heavy dews and pop up showers lately so drying in the garden was a no go. Spread them out on a piece of plywood in the shop.

full

I should get some pics of the rest of the garden, we are right in the peak of summer production here. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, sweet corn, potatoes, beans, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, apples, peaches from the family, and even a few strawberries are coming off right now. There is food everywhere in the kitchen and our fridge is stuffed full! It is a good problem to have though.

One year I had white cucumbers. They are called white wonder and are actually quite good! ---A bear to peel cause the skin and the insides are the same shade of white!! lol!!
Been super busy trying to do watering to the crops as they mature and have been making tomato juice and my version of v-8 juice.
4'th try of sweetcorn looks promising this time. I had to spray water on it when it started to bloom so the pollen would stick to the silks and it looks to have helped. Pulled a test ear last night and it has a good fill.
Been digging potatoes by hand a few at the time and they are not as good as years before but they will eat.
Sweet potatoes are not getting enough water so they wont be worth diging at this point, but its a long time til frost so we see if anything develops under them or not.

Did the every other day picking of tomatoes tonight, they are really coming on strong now. Also pulled some carrots and dug some potatoes. I was really surprised by the potatoes; everything in that basket came from one plant. That was the first plant I dug from the main garden, and the soil there isn't as fertile and doesn't hold water as well. With it being so dry here I wasn't expecting much but maybe they will actually be pretty good.

I did remember to take a pic this time. Not pictured is the 1/2 dozen 16" long zucchini and the small bowl of everbearing strawberries.

20220905_195446.jpg

Some pepper picking Monday. This is about 4 bushel. Taking them to produce auction. I sort by color and size.
View attachment 1016033
Pepper picking Thursday here, a pound of Scotch Bonnets off of the one plant that’s producing.😁 ****** hot peppers!🥵
I don’t eat any of the habaneros but I tasted the mash I made for pepper sauce and holy shomoly it was hot! Hope everyone is having awesome fall gardens!
6890F0FF-3564-4015-B038-D4209E1140C5.jpeg

Bet I could pick them beans with my 70' Hi-Ranger!! LOL! -- lookin great guys! We had a hail storm here that took out most of everything. 5" of rain, high winds took down a lot of field crops too.
Been trying to dig sweet potatoes in the mud and the quality is not too good this year either. too dry all summer and I wasnt able to haul enough water to them when they needed it.
Did get some nice carrots this year.
Salvaged some of the roma tomatoes and made 1 batch of 6 pints of thick sauce out of them. wanted to do more but time has run out for that.

Attachments

• DSCN1133.JPG
    DSCN1133.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1130.JPG
    DSCN1130.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1131.JPG
    DSCN1131.JPG
  • DSCN1087.JPG
    DSCN1087.JPG
  • DSCN1089.JPG
    DSCN1089.JPG
  • DSCN1087.JPG
    DSCN1087.JPG
  • DSCN1127.JPG
    DSCN1127.JPG
not sure what our plans are for the fall garden! QB went to the nursery with the g/ks yesterday afternoon... no fall tomatoes! prob have to start s couple of seeds myself. did find a renegade cilantro other day. so plan to see if it can continue on. garden fresh cilantro is one of my favs. but takes time and 35-cents a bundle at grocery hard to ingnore...

thess do pretty well during fall months
1664212853134.png

wow! impressive to say the least. not sure i have seen plants like that, not even in the seed cats or sites. 👍

Thanks!

One problem with pole limas is how tall they get. If you have an 8 ft. trellis they grow to the top and back to the ground again. The take a long growing season and we didn't get any until almost the end of august.

In my home town a local fireman was a gardener and grew big beaned pole limas and some would get on the powerline guy wires and grow up so tall that the city electric company would come by and trim them away with a bucket truck. This went on year after year and the city electric company employees, the police and firemen were all a tightly knit group.

not sure what our plans are for the fall garden! QB went to the nursery with the g/ks yesterday afternoon... no fall tomatoes! prob have to start s couple of seeds myself. did find a renegade cilantro other day. so plan to see if it can continue on. garden fresh cilantro is one of my favs. but takes time and 35-cents a bundle at grocery hard to ingnore...

thess do pretty well during fall months
View attachment 1020041
What is your night temperature with this tomato plant?
Looks good.

Latest posts

Back