2022 gardens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a couple seed of that bean to try!!!! LOL!!! LOVE it!!!!

I can help you with that.

I'm sitting here shelling some dry seed as I type.

All I ask is that you save seed for yourself the following year and offer seed to one other person, or more people if you like.

Dr Martin take a long growing season. I start mine in 3 inch pots and they have to be almost 'birthed' to get going. The seed is planted with it's back just 1/4 inch below the potting soil level and once the seed swells and starts to move I did around it just a little bit to help out. If soil is not removed often the small emerging leaves rot in place and the bean plant dies. I lose maybe 25% to this leaf rot. I don't do as well planting directly in the ground plus the small plants are very easy to lose to pest.

The bowl to the right is dried seed and only about 1/3 of them will be good seed for growing. The other 2/3 will be eaten as dried lima soup. I do the culling in a few weeks. Any distortions or dark spots go in the soup.

My offer is good to people who are participants in this thread.

Dr Martin seeds 002.JPG

But how tasty are the beans? They certainly look plump and beany.

My wife runs from the kitchen any time I cook up lima beans. She won't eat 'em, and I think they are just great. I make a BBQ'd lima bean recipe that's just great, but it kinda depends on liking Limas.

In fact, I haven't found a bean I don't like. I'd guess black beans are my favorites. Even Taco Bell is offering black bean servings now. I got black bean tacos saved as a favorite.

I can help you with that.

I'm sitting here shelling some dry seed as I type.

All I ask is that you save seed for yourself the following year and offer seed to one other person, or more people if you like.

Dr Martin take a long growing season. I start mine in 3 inch pots and they have to be almost 'birthed' to get going. The seed is planted with it's back just 1/4 inch below the potting soil level and once the seed swells and starts to move I did around it just a little bit to help out. If soil is not removed often the small emerging leaves rot in place and the bean plant dies. I lose maybe 25% to this leaf rot. I don't do as well planting directly in the ground plus the small plants are very easy to lose to pest.

The bowl to the right is dried seed and only about 1/3 of them will be good seed for growing. The other 2/3 will be eaten as dried lima soup. I do the culling in a few weeks. Any distortions or dark spots go in the soup.

My offer is good to people who are participants in this thread.

View attachment 1020847
I can do that, I can give a few dollars & pay postage.

But how tasty are the beans? They certainly look plump and beany.

My wife runs from the kitchen any time I cook up lima beans. She won't eat 'em, and I think they are just great. I make a BBQ'd lima bean recipe that's just great, but it kinda depends on liking Limas.

In fact, I haven't found a bean I don't like. I'd guess black beans are my favorites. Even Taco Bell is offering black bean servings now. I got black bean tacos saved as a favorite.

They are very tasty. Most all other large seeded lima beans turn white when mature but Dr Martin stays green more like baby limas do.

If you chase her from the kitchen just cooking lima beans.....

Then these large seeded limas will have her fleeing the family room a few hours later.

Not to be eaten in the same meal with hard boiled eggs for sure.

I like black beans too.

Our favorite pole string bean is an Italian type named Hilda. A very wide bean, quite large and stringless. We save seeds.

Italian (Roma) pole beans 002.JPG

Italian pole bean 004.JPG

One of our ammo cans that we use to save seeds. The jars are silica jell that we dry in the microwave and it turns a bright cobalt blue. Pink when it needs drying out.

Italian pole bean 006.JPG

Del, a lot of people here in Midlands of S.C. do not like big lima beans, just the small butter beans & butter peas.
But Mother always bought dry large lima beans, one of the few vegetables we did not grow.
I really am looking forward to growing them & eating them green, after eating them dry for fifty years.

Managed to finally get the potatoes dug last weekend. A surprisingly good crop considering how dry we were. All together we should end up with 2/3 of a rubbermaid tote of Russets, a full tote of fingerlings, and a 1/3 tote of both mixed together that we will be eating first.

20221001_154718.jpg

We had a frost advisory early this week so I picked all the squash and everything else that wouldn't like a frost. Unfortunately the squash weren't nearly as good as last year, only half the crop.

Got the rest of the sweet potatoes dug and hauled to the food bank! Over 3,000 pounds total for the 5 rows about 200 feet long. No where as good as we normally do but this was not a normal year and we were lucky to have anything this year!
The biggest this year was 7.5 pounds and last year it was 10.5, so we were down a bunch. And yes the big ones are great eating!!
This load was 2,500 pounds that went to the Midwest food bank and over 500 pounds were given to friends. I kept a half dozen of the big guys for us.

Attachments

• DSCN1184.JPG
    DSCN1184.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1186.JPG
    DSCN1186.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1185.JPG
    DSCN1185.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1141.JPG
    DSCN1141.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Filaree Garlic Farm sent me a email that my GEORGIAN FIRE & MARTIN'S HEIRLOOM will be shipped 11/03/2022.
That late for S.C., but it is still hot here in the day, like 75-80F.
My plot is Fallow ground, so I will need to remove the weeds & turn it once with compost first.
I am trying Martin's Heirloom to see how it does in 8a zones Spring heat, I harvest in early to late June here.

Filaree Garlic Farm sent me a email that my GEORGIAN FIRE & MARTIN'S HEIRLOOM will be shipped 11/03/2022.
That late for S.C., but it is still hot here in the day, like 75-80F.
My plot is Fallow ground, so I will need to remove the weeds & turn it once with compost first.
I am trying Martin's Heirloom to see how it does in 8a zones Spring heat, I harvest in early to late June here.
I'm planting some in the next week or so. I had some old Koreans show me how to grow it a few years ago but i lost touch with them. I bought some rocambole pink skin at produce auction this year and will be planting that. It was about $.50 per bulb.

Great price!
We had garlic as a kid, but it grew in a clump.
What little I know, was taught to me by growers.
1) eat small cloves, plant biggest cloves, because the bigger the cloves the bigger the bulbs.
2) work in compost/ organic matter every year at least three weeks before planting cloves.
3) plant cloves 1-1.5 inches deep/ 25 to 38mm deep
4) plant cloves 6 inches apart/ 150mm in beds or rolls, I do beds.
5) as soon as the cloves leaf/blades pop up an inch or two, mulch them with straw or ground dry leaves to keep weeds down & to protect cloves from cold freeze.
6) water every few days if there is no rain.
7) harvest when the blades/leaves are 1/3 dry on the Garlic stock.
8) dry on screen in the shape, some people leave garlic & onions out in the sun, I do not do that.
Tell me what I missed or got wrong. No one knows everything & I know less, so I am always looking for another point of view.

Back