2022 gardens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But how tasty are the beans? They certainly look plump and beany.

My wife runs from the kitchen any time I cook up lima beans. She won't eat 'em, and I think they are just great. I make a BBQ'd lima bean recipe that's just great, but it kinda depends on liking Limas.

In fact, I haven't found a bean I don't like. I'd guess black beans are my favorites. Even Taco Bell is offering black bean servings now. I got black bean tacos saved as a favorite.
i bean meaning to ask, too!

one of my favs! i do like limas. but not as a kid! 😝 canned/tin... frozen/grocery, but garden fresh best! all, imo👍

kidney mine
1666158435971.png

I can help you with that.
The bowl to the right is dried seed and only about 1/3 of them will be good seed for growing. The other 2/3 will be eaten as dried lima soup. I do the culling in a few weeks. Any distortions or dark spots go in the soup.
My offer is good to people who are participants in this thread.

View attachment 1020847
that is a generous offer! one bean company sells them. pricey! 10 fot $8.00. :surprised3:

then add in shipping...

how many in your package?

They are very tasty. Most all other large seeded lima beans turn white when mature but Dr Martin stays green more like baby limas do.

If you chase her from the kitchen just cooking lima beans.....

Then these large seeded limas will have her fleeing the family room a few hours later.

Not to be eaten in the same meal with hard boiled eggs for sure.

I like black beans too.

Our favorite pole string bean is an Italian type named Hilda. A very wide bean, quite large and stringless. We save seeds.

View attachment 1020848

View attachment 1020849

One of our ammo cans that we use to save seeds. The jars are silica jell that we dry in the microwave and it turns a bright cobalt blue. Pink when it needs drying out.

View attachment 1020850
i keep my seeds out in shop refer. one bag holds the summer seeds. and another holds the fall seeds. a few seasons back, i planted reg lima beans seeds. Fordhooks. the seeds were limas i had saved from a prev season's garden plants. and they were 23 years old at the time i planted them. germination was all but 100%! and the plants thrived. and had lots limas that year. :)

What, no posts since my last one?

Still picking a few carrots every week as needed.

View attachment 1023294

Harvested my first ever crop of sweet potatoes.

View attachment 1023295

View attachment 1023296
i have grown homegrown sweet potatoes before. i was amazed at how much more flavorful and sweeter they were than store bot out of the home garden... for starts, just plopped down slice of store bot... thot it had rotted. then uncovered it some... and runners galore! :cool:

I'm sitting here shelling some dry seed as I type. Dr Martin take a long growing season. I start mine in 3 inch pots and they have to be almost 'birthed' to get going. T

i bean meaning to ask, too!
one of my favs! i do like limas. but not as a kid! 😝 canned/tin... frozen/grocery, but garden fresh best! all, imo👍
. two things came together for me yesterday. rather than cut and bale my garden pastures... tall grasses! :( i decided to be a productive home gardener. thanks to del's lima posts... now thinking maybe plant some limas. :) time will tell. but no time like the present to get the rest of the garden dethatched! one other section done. not as bad. still 4/5ths to go... :nofunny:
P1010004.JPG

that is a generous offer! one bean company sells them. pricey! 10 fot $8.00. :surprised3:

then add in shipping...

how many in your package?

I will send the three of four people who said that they are interested 10 seeds of Dr Martin, and I'll pick up the postage.

My offer is now closed.

It's an honor system but I'd much appreciate you folks growing and passing this seed on to at least one other person.

Send me a PM with your address and I will PM you when they are in the mail. I will also coach you in this thread as to how to 'birth' them, as they rot quite easily when sprouting. I start in 4 inch nursery pots and grow up to about a foot of so of vine length before transplanting. I plant in rows with the plants two feet apart but 30 inches apart may be better. They grow massive vines and look like kudzu. I wish that they came back from the root mass like kudzu but in my climate they do not. I've grown these in Delaware quite well but I'm in NE Georgia now. They love the heat. Be prepared and read up on how to control the Kudzu bug. I had to spray only once early in the season and I used Talstar. If left un checked the Kudzu bug can destroy the crop.

Here's a photo of my total seed crop of Dr Martin this year. At least 1/3 of these seeds have defects that make them not so good of a seed, but I will select all good ones to send on.

Dr Martin pole lima seed crop fall 2022 003.JPG

Here's my fall 2022 crop of Hilda Romano pole string beans:

Dr Martin pole lima seed crop fall 2022 005.JPG

Here's my fall crop of Rattlesnake pole string beans. This one is easy to find on the market.

Dr Martin pole lima seed crop fall 2022 010.JPG

i am del-inspired. maybe some limas for this section of my garden. thinking 9, maybe 12 plants would be nice to try.

i think i got 80 days! heck, they once went around the world in about that time. i just gotta get around my garden... :crazy2:

80 days

Fordhook 242 (80 days) – This is an heirloom lima bush variety and is also an All-America Selections winner. The bushy plants grow 16 to 20 inches tall and are early and productive. Expect a heavy crop of 3 1/2 to 4 inch long pods with 3 to 4 beans per pod.
1666199256363.png

I got my garlic planted a week ago last saturday and now I'm worried I planted it too early. It's been unseasonably warm the past few days, almost hit 25C yesterday.

I'll have to get some more pics of the last garden work of the year. I just have a few things left to clean up and need to work next years annuals spot and then that will be it for 2022.

I got my garlic planted a week ago last saturday and now I'm worried I planted it too early. It's been unseasonably warm the past few days, almost hit 25C yesterday.

I'll have to get some more pics of the last garden work of the year. I just have a few things left to clean up and need to work next years annuals spot and then that will be it for 2022.
Wanted to get mine planted but it's been to wet here. My rows I had marked are all washed out. Gonna be at least a week till I can plant.

I grow Ambrosia cantaloupe every year in a 50ft. row. As you guys know, when cantaloupe comes ripe, it's ripens almost all at once. Years ago I took to using a large strong spoon to scoop cantaloupe and then freezing it in one gallon zip lock freezer bags. It changes taste considerably but I find that I like it. It likely retains most of it's nutrients.

So when the lopues are coming on strong some days I scoop as many as ten per evening and filling one gallon freezer bags. Of course I eat one or so per day when peak harvest is on but it feels really great putting such a large amount in the freezer. I guess I have about a dozen gallon bags in the freezer at the moment and will eat all of them well before next seasons harvest.

Here's a photo of a bowl I'm eating as I type.

Cantaloupe frozen 003.JPG

Latest posts

Back