2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! 4 years eh?! Never knew they could grow that long!
I was planning on putting them in 3 gallon pots and leaving them in the greenhouse the whole time over the summer, this is our first time growing our own so it’s all a learning experience right now to us, and any help is muchly appreciated from anyone who shares!!
Thank you for your knowledge sir !!
3 gallon pots should work. Pots should be as deep as they are wide. The only thing with leaving them in the greenhouse would be to watch the temps Anything above 85*F can cause blossom drop. This link is more for field production but has some good growing info.
file:///C:/Users/Deb/Downloads/bfp-2022-23-peppers.pdf

3 gallon pots should work. Pots should be as deep as they are wide. The only thing with leaving them in the greenhouse would be to watch the temps Anything above 85*F can cause blossom drop. This link is more for field production but has some good growing info.
file:///C:/Users/Deb/Downloads/bfp-2022-23-peppers.pdf
Couldn't get link to work.

I havea question about peppers. Today I noticed a shiny sticky film all over the leaves of a couple of plants I have in pots. Nothing else around them has this sticky film on them. Anyone have a ideal as to what it could be.
Possibly aphids. They secrete a honydew type substance. If you see ants on the plants that is probably what it is. They are tiny and hard to see. May need a magnifying glass.

Aphids are easy to get rid of, couple sprays with insecticidal soap a few days apart.

Aphids are terrible little buggers, had them in the lettuce greenhouse I worked at last summer, was hard to get rid of on 5000 lettuce when they started reproducing before we caught them, and they got there toward the end of the summer season,
here they are but you might have to zoom in and look super hard to find them but they’re there
3392B64C-3205-45AB-8E7C-FB3FD277D134.jpeg

Hopefully. May have to download to open.

Will have to have a peek at this, just getting internet back this Evenin so never had a chance to look at ol AS today for very long lol,
But perfect! 3 gallon will be how I go about planting them then, if it get too warm I can always move them outside for a bit 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_1442.jpeg
Tomatoes gone wild on the left and green bean’s coming on, on the right front.
IMG_1443.jpeg

Cucumbers still in the infant stage, vines are very healthy though!
IMG_1444.jpeg

Cantaloupe in the front, doing well. Beets in the back going pretty good, I’m impatient for beets! So good in vinegar with onions!
I put chicken manure and straw down on the bed last October and let it rest until April. Plowed it in and planted, I think the fertilizer and the milder temperatures so far have made the garden a mad house of growth! Gonna be a good year for canning tomatoes and pickles! Hope everyone’s garden is growing great!

time to pull my cabbage. don't think they will be heading up much more in these 98f days... lol. left the cilantro in place once it began to bolt. now got seed pods galore. carrot circles being softened up with water, need to dig them. can't pull them, too long, etc. just have to break the carrot pods and be gentle with them. my King Leek still doing well. beets have done one side dish, and bulbing ok... mite make a beet salad with them.

tomatoes are the current garden story. got one a month or so ago. ripened i mean. now got maybe 300 or so in one form or another. so many flowers, scary. but may not set well in these warm evenings, some nice sized ones about to ripen up. pick. Better Boys and Celebrity,.

recorded a Lidia's cooking show last nite. late. she is doing some salmon with cabbage and carrots... want to she how she went about it. all i would need is some fresh salmon... 🤩

seems to be a popular dish... googled and sev recipies

1686843322955.png

Made Kraut yesterday, I only cut two heads and made 2 quarts, plus a little slaw. I only planted 12 plants and the rest will probably be ready by next week. Tomato plants are 4ft high and not a single green tomato, plenty of blooms, but I dont understand the lack of maters. Potatoes in my pots are doing excellent. Baseball size taters that taste great . especially with the gresh green peas. Taters in the field, are big, planted red pontiac and kennebac. The red tater vines are surprisingly still growing, the kennebac vines are starting to die off and will have to be harvested soon. I am debateing planting a second crop if I can find the seed. I have never planted taters in the heat of summer before, and dont know of anybody around here that even tries it. I;ll probably only plant a couple of rows just for a test.

IMG_1455.jpeg

Hiros Hungarian paprika peppers have blown up on this plant in the last two days! It’s too early, the plant needs to bush out more for the fall harvest. I can’t bring myself to pick them yet though, want them to ripen. First time growing paprika peppers so I’m stoked.

View attachment 1090897
Hiros Hungarian paprika peppers have blown up on this plant in the last two days! It’s too early, the plant needs to bush out more for the fall harvest. I can’t bring myself to pick them yet though, want them to ripen. First time growing paprika peppers so I’m stoked.
Keep us posted, I'd love to try growing them!

Made Kraut yesterday, I only cut two heads and made 2 quarts, plus a little slaw. I only planted 12 plants and the rest will probably be ready by next week. Tomato plants are 4ft high and not a single green tomato, plenty of blooms, but I dont understand the lack of maters. Potatoes in my pots are doing excellent. Baseball size taters that taste great . especially with the gresh green peas. Taters in the field, are big, planted red pontiac and kennebac. The red tater vines are surprisingly still growing, the kennebac vines are starting to die off and will have to be harvested soon. I am debateing planting a second crop if I can find the seed. I have never planted taters in the heat of summer before, and dont know of anybody around here that even tries it. I;ll probably only plant a couple of rows just for a test.
i got 4 i need to pick today. thinking Lydia's salmon, cabbage and carrots...
P1010013.JPG
P1010017.JPG

i got some in my over other day. roasted them. reds. yum
P1010029.JPG
P1010034.JPG

Tomato plants - in ground about April 20
String Bean seeds - planted April 16
Silver queen seeds - planted May 14 (3 weeks ago)
Never planted the garden this early as I'm usually behind. First pick shows some getting grassy so I hooked up the jackass to the push plow. Watermelons and a couple cantaloupe under the ground cover. I grew a 75 pounder a few years ago and saved the seeds so planted a couple hills. I didn't save the seeds from the 61 pounder but here's that one next to a regular Charleston Grey melon.

View attachment 1087550View attachment 1087551View attachment 1087552View attachment 1087553
we got lots! i like to pull them and let ripen on kitchen counter. vine ripened best, imo... but not by much!
P1010040.JPG

too many peaches! lol. so we had to can up some. some to freezer, but did up some 1/2 pt jam jars other day
P1010013.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010018.JPG
P1010021.JPG

batch turned out a bit cinnomony! recipe called for 1/2 tea per batch. but was very tasty, sweet... but had to hunt for the peach flavor. so decided to try a mix. got some from grocery and mixed. i wanted some pulp, too. and together
got a winner! :numberone: maybe best ever peach jam i have tasted.

Back