2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I came into it, MAC's were mostly relegated to landing work. The old timers that ran them either retired or switched to Swedish saws. Maybe that didn't hold true on every loggin' show in the PNW, but I tramped around and worked quite a few. I heard about the big MAC's and the Homelites, of course.....just didn't see them on the shows.

You gotta understand that before quasi-synthetic oil mixes came out like Powerpunch, you only got about a season on a fallin'/buckin' saw. Except on private timber sales, you didn't see loggers hauling around old saws. And no one was gonna buy a MAC if the word was a 2100 could run circles around it. Admittedly before the 2100 came out, The Homelites and the MAC's took out a HUGE amount of PNW timber.

Kevin
I have upgraded, to the new fangle saw , it is an impressive saw outta the box , but still like the old school stuff . 85A37FE5-A478-4FD3-9A66-E40C0E038BE1.jpeg

I have upgraded, to the new fangle saw , it is an impressive saw outta the box , but still like the old school stuff . View attachment 1052261
It's kinda like comparing muscle cars to modern cars. Modern cars are proven faster than our old sleds were, but nothing like those old, heavy torque monsters.

These newer larger cc saws are SMOOTH and low maintenance. I used to have to change out my AF @lunch....now you can go weeks!

Kevin

It's kinda like comparing muscle cars to modern cars. Modern cars are proven faster than our old sleds were, but nothing like those old, heavy torque monsters.

These newer larger cc saws are SMOOTH and low maintenance. I used to have to change out my AF @lunch....now you can go weeks!

Kevin
Yea , can’t replace those good old reliable torque monsters 👍

Boy, I just reread the first few pages from back in 2011. Some good guys that I haven't' seen in a while, and then some others that are still here. I'm sure I posted about my love affair with the Homelite Super 1050. I've still have my Dad's first 1050, and think it belongs on that list. A few years back I bought a new 660 to replace the 1050 as my milling saw. First thing I noticed was if I hit a piece of barbed wire milling with the 660 and 3/8's chain, it wiped out every tooth and quite cutting. The old 1050 with 404 chain would just jump a little and keep cutting. I don't know if it was the higher RPM of the 660, or the bigger teeth of the 404. I guess any big old torquey saw with 404 would clip off a piece of fence. I've had some of the bigger older Homelites like a 7-29 with 52" bar and half inch chain, a Super Wiz77 with 42" bar and half inch. I think there is a place for all of those old saws in the evolution of the Muscle Saw. Someday I may get my Pioneer 700 running and put it on my list?

Yea , can’t replace those good old reliable torque monsters 👍

I was going to make that comparison. I still have my 68 Formula S, 383, 4 speed Cuda Convertible. One of 64 made. I know most of the performance cars today would kill it on the 1/4 mile. But I wouldn't trade it for all of them.

In the past, I posted the lore and how they came into being. I was there and bought early production models. Stihls were on most of the loggin' shows I worked at until the 2100 came out. Then it became a sea of orange, even when I moved to CO.

I started out life with an 075, and what a heavy piece of junk by comparison.

You guys slave me with those 'D' handles and velocity stacks. No one has been able to prove any significant gain with a velocity stack on a 2100 and I've seen computer-generated flow/gain tests. You would have been laughed outa the woods with those handles, but yeah, I get it. At 70, I have no problems pulling over the 2100's. Usually, I plug any saw with a comp relief because I've seen them gunk up and rob compression. But whatever floats your boat!

Kevin
V-stacks may be funny but all the stack's I've seen on 2100's have been there since they were shipped from Bailey's in 1980-something.

Boy, I just reread the first few pages from back in 2011. Some good guys that I haven't' seen in a while, and then some others that are still here. I'm sure I posted about my love affair with the Homelite Super 1050. I've still have my Dad's first 1050, and think it belongs on that list. A few years back I bought a new 660 to replace the 1050 as my milling saw. First thing I noticed was if I hit a piece of barbed wire milling with the 660 and 3/8's chain, it wiped out every tooth and quite cutting. The old 1050 with 404 chain would just jump a little and keep cutting. I don't know if it was the higher RPM of the 660, or the bigger teeth of the 404. I guess any big old torquey saw with 404 would clip off a piece of fence. I've had some of the bigger older Homelites like a 7-29 with 52" bar and half inch chain, a Super Wiz77 with 42" bar and half inch. I think there is a place for all of those old saws in the evolution of the Muscle Saw. Someday I may get my Pioneer 700 running and put it on my list?
You'll not hear a lot of people talk about using .404 chain day in and day out. It's purely a pro chain. I tried 3/8" full comp in the woods one day and it had absolutely no advantages over .404...in fact, quite a few disadvantages. But that was pro production in decent timber. I'd be the first to concede that 3/8" chain definitely has its place today.

And yes with square file, full-skip .404 and over 80cc, you'll power through about anything with minimal damage; larger kerf for your wedges, and a longer-lasting chain.

Kevin

V-stacks may be funny but all the stack's I've seen on 2100's have been there since they were shipped from Bailey's in 1980-something.
That was a direct result of Mt.Saint Helens ash up to your waist and a way to deal with it. It also required that you oiled that foam profusely and kept on top of it. I was still buying 2100's from Bailey's then and never was offered a velocity stack or wanted one. But then again, I turned down working up at Mt.Saint Helens.

They used to ask you where you were working when buying saws from them. They actually cared at one point and on any given day you called them you might be talking to Bill Bailey.....

I wound up in Woodburn, OR the early summer after the mountain blew, 1980. I was young & dumb.....it was tempting to buck that big OG stuff up @St.Helens. But I could barely last the day in Portland coughing my lungs out from the ash residue. Clearly, I was not meant to be up there in waist-high ash....even I knew that much.

Kevin

Boy, I just reread the first few pages from back in 2011. Some good guys that I haven't' seen in a while, and then some others that are still here.

I dunno....been a lot of *saw wars* since then and I'm not sure anyone's the better for it.....

Kevin

That was a direct result of Mt.Saint Helen's ash up to your waist and a way to deal with it. It also required that you oiled that foam profusely and kept on top of it. I was still buying 2100's from Bailey's then and never was offered a velocity stack or wanted one. But then again, I turned down working up at Mt.Saint Helen's.

They used to ask you where you were working when buying saws from them. They actually cared at one point and on any given day you called them you might be talking to Bill Bailey.....

I wound up in Woodburn, OR the early summer after the mountain blew, 1980. I was young & dumb.....it was tempting to buck that big OG stuff up @St.Helens. But I could barely last the day in Portland coughing my lungs out from the ash residue. Clearly, I was not meant to be up there in waist-high ash....even I knew that much.

Kevin
Any time you can provide better air flow to a motor, it’s going to perform better , and a V- stack provides that .

Any time you can provide better air flow to a motor, it’s going to perform better , and a V- stack provides that .
Except that in computer flow tests @WOT, there are no significant gains. IOW, the Swedes did a good job stock of getting air to the carb. But it looks cool and with oil, that filter will do a good job with small particulates.

Kevin

That was a direct result of Mt.Saint Helen's ash up to your waist and a way to deal with it. It also required that you oiled that foam profusely and kept on top of it. I was still buying 2100's from Bailey's then and never was offered a velocity stack or wanted one. But then again, I turned down working up at Mt.Saint Helen's.

Kevin
I remember that 3+ inches of ash very well living in Portland, also a bunch of sundays mispent at Woodburn back then. We used to camp between Mt Saint Helens and Mt Adams before then. It only took about three years before the lower areas started to heal and grow back.

Did you ever run one of these, kinda has its own lore in the PNW . View attachment 1052260
I agree on the lore, however, much as I like my 125's, with 60" and longer bars, the 090 is a better saw. I can see a tuned 2100 being prefered over the 125 as it is way lighter and more nimble. My ported 395 will do anything that a 125 will do and is much nicer to operate. I do find a 125 much nicer and stronger than an 088 or 880.

I agree on the lore, however, much as I like my 125's, with 60" and longer bars, the 090 is a better saw. I can see a tuned 2100 being prefered over the 125 as it is way lighter and more nimble. My ported 395 will do anything that a 125 will do and is much nicer to operate. I do find a 125 much nicer and stronger than an 088 or 880.
Wasn’t overly impressed with 090 ran a couple, like the 125’s better, but even one has there own opinion . 👍

I remember that 3+ inches of ash very well living in Portland, also a bunch of sundays mispent at Woodburn back then. We used to camp between Mt Saint Helens and Mt Adams before then. It only took about three years before the lower areas started to heal and grow back.
The area around Mt.Saint Helens was some of the best camping and fishing in the entire PNW. Beyond postcard quality.....and then it was all gone.

Kevin

Still like a rock.

Nice- I want a good 42" bar for my own one, but currently there are no Cannon (nor any other) quality bars in the wee country I call home.
Can get an Oregon Powermatch for around $300 of our $'s, but that is more than the quality of those is worth in my opinion.

Nice- I want a good 42" bar for my own one, but currently there are no Cannon (nor any other) quality bars in the wee country I call home.
Can get an Oregon Powermatch for around $300 of our $'s, but that is more than the quality of those is worth in my opinion.
Think Fee- bay has Cannon Bars

Back