2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think Fee- bay has Cannon Bars
Most likely does- but freight from there to here is worth more than they are asking for the bar in most instances. 6,500 miles of ocean to cross then land travel down both our major Islands to me- gets spendy.

I have a slightly ported 090 and ran it against my buddies 125, the 090 was consistently beating it, but barely. The 090 had a 42 inch bar and the 125 had a 36 inch.
Saw tuning and performance, and chain sharpening has everything to do with it.

Saw tuning and performance, and chain sharpening has everything to do with it.
Absolutely. I have a friend that knows how to sharpen chains well for GTG's. And he uses a progressive raker gauge. He's killing at the GTG's because the others are so worried about their port jobs and the style of chain they use, they have not put enough time into the sharpening part. A lot of the time he's using an old chain with shorter cutters...less friction mass than newer cutters. Dials in each cutter with a progressive raker gauge. Eventually, they'll figure out what he's doing and copy.

And you can't compare two saws' cutting ability in the same cc range if you're not using the same size bar & chain style. Then it really does become all about the chain and how sharp it is. Wanna compare two saws' cutting ability; at least keep the bars and the chain the same.

Kevin

lovely saw, just out of interest what bar oil and 2t oil do you use. whatever it is it's stood the test of time and has plenty of work hours on it.
I'm running Amsoil dominator. 40:1 with Ethanol free fuel. Just started using some Amsoil bar oil to test out the tackiness and thickness. Yeah these things were built to the hilt back then. Spared no expenses, heavier than some in today's world. Bit big bucking jobs, stumps and general tree work it still really shines. It's wearing a 50 inch Cannon bar now.

Boy, I just reread the first few pages from back in 2011. Some good guys that I haven't' seen in a while, and then some others that are still here. I'm sure I posted about my love affair with the Homelite Super 1050. I've still have my Dad's first 1050, and think it belongs on that list. A few years back I bought a new 660 to replace the 1050 as my milling saw. First thing I noticed was if I hit a piece of barbed wire milling with the 660 and 3/8's chain, it wiped out every tooth and quite cutting. The old 1050 with 404 chain would just jump a little and keep cutting. I don't know if it was the higher RPM of the 660, or the bigger teeth of the 404. I guess any big old torquey saw with 404 would clip off a piece of fence. I've had some of the bigger older Homelites like a 7-29 with 52" bar and half inch chain, a Super Wiz77 with 42" bar and half inch. I think there is a place for all of those old saws in the evolution of the Muscle Saw. Someday I may get my Pioneer 700 running and put it on my list?
I agree man I miss many of those guys:) been a coins age. That .404 chain is rugged. The older saws like my 2101 have heavier flywheels too, aiding for torque. In big wood the keep pulling. I used to have a 2100 homelite as a kid in my 20s. 36inch roller nose, man I thought I was something lol. But that thing cut!

Never tried one, seen a few around though:)

Never tried one, seen a few around though:) I have run more of there GB Australian bars than I have Cannon one, but in my limited experience I would put them on an even par.
Just so happened I was able to find a GB 42" bar in .404 D009 that still has some original paint on the tops of the chain rails for a very reasonable price. ;)

Never tried one, seen a few around though:) I have run more of there GB Australian bars than I have Cannon one, but in my limited experience I would put them on an even par.
Just so happened I was able to find a GB 42" bar in .404 D009 that still has some original paint on the tops of the chain rails for a very reasonable price. ;)
Nice that's good info! Thank u.

Latest posts

Back