2153 bogging when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spray comes out the venturi side when I hold my thumb over the ports on the diaphragm side and spray into the H needle hole.

I found an oem husq. for around 72$ but shipping is 38$ to canada. anyone have any horror stories abouts stens aftermarket carbs. it is 44$

I would rather go OEM on the carb since the original lasted 15 years. plus I put more than 30$ of gas in my car every day so what is another 30$ worth...

Checked out the nozzle last night it seems to not be blocked but it may be an intermittent thing with the heat from the engine.

I know someone mentioned winter gas before and that is what is in my can. it is just sad that a carb kit costs less that what it would cost me to dump a gallon of gas and start fresh.
Contact seller on shipping the one on post 19 it was free shipping (Ebuy) maybe they will work with you.

I know someone mentioned winter gas before and that is what is in my can. it is just sad that a carb kit costs less that what it would cost me to dump a gallon of gas and start fresh.
I have an OLDer truck that Ain't perticular I would hesitate putting it in newer stuff. maybe dilute it in a riding mower? log splitter? A PESKY NEIGHBORS tank..

spray comes out the venturi side when I hold my thumb over the ports on the diaphragm side and spray into the H needle hole.
Not a complete test. That just verifies that the valve will open (seldom a problem) but doesn't test if it closes properly. Sticking open is the usual failure mode and it completely screws up the idle circuit. A test to see if it closes goes like this: Plug the fuel inlet port of the carb and suck on the port going to the primer, it should feel solid, no air leak. If it is leaking air, one of the check valves is leaking. A photo would help to determine if you have 2 valves. I NEVER buy OEM carb because of the ridiculous cost in Canada. Cheap AM ones have mostly worked very well except for a few that were bad, you have to take them apart and verify everything inside is correct.

Thanks for the info, My saw idles fine so I tested according to the symptoms I had but it could be plugging up intermittently. third stihl dealer said no go on a 261 so I'm stuck fixing this. will probably throw a whole new carb at it and try to fix this one so that I have a spare carb

first step will be to try fresh gas. then attempt to replace the check valve, then new carb.

Come to think about it my echo blower is kind of doing the same thing. but intermittently. But the blower has been a problem for the past 8 years. sometimes a new filter cures it for a while, sometimes a carb adjustment cures it but never for long.

Hey guys, just a little update. Finally got around to running the saw for a little bit this weekend. All I did was clean out the carb a second time, shortened the fuel line and cleaned up the saw. Also I drained the fuel mix and used a fresh batch of mix with seafoam in it.

works like a charm so my money is on winter gas being the culprit. Last time I filled up was late february and I don't remember ever filling up with mix in the winter before this year so it turned out to be an easy fix.

Back