2186 Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Home for lunch to find a large box at the front door.
One VERY low hour 2186 Jonsered (385XP with a better colour, less pregnant air box and better angled front handle). Three Oregon 3/8 0.058 bars in 20-22-26 inch lengths. 5 Oregon chains in 22 inch, 3 in 20 inch and 1 in 26 inch, all full chisel and most near 50 to 75% used- plus a couple of oddball .325 18 inch chains thrown in for good measure maybe.

Guess I can ease up on trying to find an 064 to cover this CC range now.

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpegimage4.jpeg
View attachment Video.mov

Nice score Bob.

I believe so. Belonged to an older gentleman, saw now getting too heavy for him, not quite aware of the full back story, but in my opinion- that power head is not responsible for wearing out all those chains and I cannot remember if the 2186 came out with a 24 a 26 or a 28 here from new on the shelf. I am guessing the 2186 replaced whatever used the 20 and 22 inch bars.
Was a third party proxy sale, on behalf kind of deal- with stipulations from the owner it had to go to someone that appreciated Jonsereds and wasn't going to wreck it. I was just lucky enough to know the guy that runs the shop he took it to.
I perhaps paid a bit less that a same age/condition 385XP might go for here, but like in a lot of places in the World, the orange saws are better known than the red ones and everyone came out happy in the end.

I picked up its little brother a couple months ago.View attachment 931256View attachment 931257
I lust after one of those as well!
Near 2pm here and I am just home for breakfast- been one of those days, but yes it is clean= like almost new clean! I have not had a chance to investigate that further, but usually if the front of the gas tank that protrudes to the front of the saw- if the top of that is clean where it adjoins the crankcase- odds are pretty good it is a low use saw, or has had a complete strip down and rebuild!

That 2172 was the last saw my dad's cousin bought. He lived around the corner from us when I was growing up. He is in a nursing home now with dementia. My wife's cousin bought it from a local shop about a year ago. He found it to heavy for what he needed, so I traded him a Husqvarna 350 and a ms250 Stihl for it. It will never leave here.

That 2172 was the last saw my dad's cousin bought. He lived around the corner from us when I was growing up. He is in a nursing home now with dementia. My wife's cousin bought it from a local shop about a year ago. He found it to heavy for what he needed, so I traded him a Husqvarna 350 and a ms250 Stihl for it. It will never leave here.

Perfect. :)

Is this saw any good ? $85 in Canada ?
9852491e525f68b83c514d064f58d72b.png

2f8f353d4d3d46d746d263b76e0c3c7a.png

ca65d8f3eac9fdae7dd9ba8a78ef9ae4.png

Not quite but the Redmax GZ7100 is the same saw and can be bought brand new. Made in Sweden.
https://themowerdoctor.com.au/product/gz7100/

Not even sure anyone bothers to import Redmax saws on our side of the ditch- think they offer a 9000 model as well, which is basically a rebranded 2188, but from what I have seen- their prices are not too far off the offerings of the other major players in the new saw market.
There are a few of the 20 and 21 Jonsered 70cc class saws kicking about here, the trick is finding good ones. Whilst they are basically a direct parts swap for their Orange sisters, some parts are peculiar to the Jonsereds- around the air filter, air box, intakes and chain brakes/front handles and parts here are pretty much unobtainable.

Back