220V Plug-in Chainsaw - Is there such a thing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of these cheap Remington 120v chainsaws for around the sawmill, was pretty convenient to make the occasional cut for making skids to stack stuff on or for chasing nails after I found them with the metal detector. I wished I had spent a bit more and just bought a makita or stihl though. The quality just was not there and I wasn’t too sad when it died. I had wished there was something with about 3x the power and chain speed.
I wonder how well it would work to make a manifold on the exhaust of a 70cc saw to hook a dust collector hose and have it on a sliding track like we had in the wood shop. Pretty sure a 1 hp dust collector would pull enough air that it could keep up with the exhaust heat from a large gas chainsaw.
I love to get to and solve the root of problems instead of putting bandaids on the problem. I got blessed with a few health challenges that woke me up. Have you heard of Dr Lee Cowden and his work with laser energetic detox? Really amazing for those of us who’ve been exposed to some gnarly stuff. There’s also dr Bradly Nelson with the emotion code/body code that you’ve almost got to experience it to believe it. Those two things will probably eliminate 90% of health problems. Didn’t mean to derail this into a health thread but would love for you to be able to get back to sawing with a gas power equipment cause there’s nothin like it. Just my .02
Thanks for your input. imalogger,

My lung Xrays show scarring bad enough for the 60 yr-old X-ray teckie to say he had never seen lungs like mine and wondered how I still breathe. They are messed up enough that they won't clear when i get into dust, smoke, fumes or mold.

I'm already seeing a naturopath. He has helped me deal with most of the mold issues, but there is only so much he can do. The regular doctors give me puffers. They tell me if I mess around, I'll be on an oxygen tank looking for a transplant.

I only talk about this in public to help the young guys who are reading this understand that they are not invincible and that construction and logging dust and smoke can **** you up. Ventilation and Personal Safety Equipment is important. ...and yes, I was also pretty severely bitten by a chainsaw - 40 years ago, when i was young and improperly trained. The micro-surgeon said I had over a thousand sutures during the first operation. They were busy, knitting me back together for some hours.

When guys make fun of battery and corded chainsaws, I like to point out that both ‘diesel’ locomotives and ‘nuclear’ submarines are really ‘electric’.

So, maybe what the OP needs is a new kind of ‘hot saw’? Self heating handle might also be nice up there!

Philbert

Do you by any chance have any friends or relatives serving in the military in Germany? If so, you could have them send you an electric saw manufactured for the European market, which would operate on 220 volts. Otherwise, the attached link below is for a comparison between 11 different models of electric saws available in Europe. Towards the bottom of the page you will see names of stores that sell these products, and Amazon's logo appears on a number of them. This is the European version of Amazon, and it is possible that they may ship what you are looking for to the United States. (For example, there is a Makita UC3541A model shown). Clicking on their logo also translates the product information into English. I personally have ordered some products from the European version of Amazon, and it works great - They take care of all the currency conversions for you, so it's as easy as ordering domestically.
Here is the link:

https://www.stern.de/vergleich/elektro-kettensaege/
The European electric chainsaws operate on a nominal 230V AC (so it can handle the variations in European voltages from 220V to 240V without any issues), BUT it is a 50Hz AC signal, not the 60Hz AC signal found in the US.
I would like to defer to some other forum members as to how well electric motors that are designed for 50Hz will handle a 60Hz signal (basically a 20% increase in +/- signals per second). I have my doubts...
I have used US market hand power tools and slide projectors etc designed for 60Hz 110V AC in Europe via a step-down transformer to give a 110V 50Hz AC signal without any issues (the fan goes approx 20% slower etc). But I have not done that exercise in reverse...

Do you by any chance have any friends or relatives serving in the military in Germany? If so, you could have them send you an electric saw manufactured for the European market, which would operate on 220 volts.
It turns out Stihl Dealers in Germany are not permitted to sell their products to NA. I got the brush-off from the company. I think I will find the Stihl dealer nearest our friends in Norwich, UK, to see if they can purchase one. If that doesn't work I will follow the link you provided.

Due to someone else's comment, I am also looking into the 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz issue to see if the increased frequency is an issue. It sounds like it could make it run faster - but maybe that would be too fast and cause arcing. I don't know. It seems to me that the total power would be about the same: they draw what they draw and 220V = 230V (+/- 10V) no matter the frequency by my limited understanding of electricity.

I would like to defer to some other forum members as to how well electric motors that are designed for 50Hz will handle a 60Hz signal (basically a 20% increase in +/- signals per second). I have my doubts...
Thanks, I'll be looking into the 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz issue to see if the increased frequency is a problem.

It sounds like it could make it run faster - but maybe that would be too fast and cause arcing. I don't know. It seems to me that the total power would be about the same: they draw what they draw and 220V = 230V (+/- 10V) no matter the frequency by my limited understanding of electricity.

When we were stationed in Germany, you could buy American made motorized appliances designed for 60Hz current (Wash machines, refrigerators, etc.) at the Army Post Exchange, and they ran just fine on 50Hz current with a transformer reducing the voltage down to 120 volts. The difference in motor speeds on these appliances was negligible. We brought a few German made motorized appliances (50Hz) back with us when we moved back to North America and they worked normally with 60Hz current.

Right there seem to be a little mix up where I am we use 220v and the saw in the link is is 220v ...............................................................................@ 40 hz.............................

There was a pallet of hydraulic military surplus saws on Iron planet not long ago I wasted it but had not way of getting them across the border.

Back