24 hour burn in the new Woodstock Ideal Steel stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 5 F (temp here now in N.Maine) with no central furnace, if BK can HEAT a 1600 ft² home to a comfort level of
say 70 F (soft or hardwood ) for more than 12 hours, then there is a tooth fairy.

Only 12 hours? Why is the bar so low? The King will heat a 1600 sf home to 70 F (@5 F outside) with pine for 20-24 hrs. and 30-40 hrs. with hardwood. Sorry if that is hard to understand. I'm not interested in a pissing match here. Just giving you the facts from my real world experience with the King. Do you have some real world experience with the King that is contrary to what I'm saying? I guess there really is a tooth fairy:)[/QUOTE]
pulp, brush ape, overclock........

Pulp:

These forums are about information. Because someone creates a thread (BrianK) and I'm not impressed with it doesn't mean I'm dissing on anyone. It means I'm giving others my opinion and perspective based on my experiences. There will be some who dismiss what I say and others that it helps.

Spidey made a good point:
"I'm lost on the point of it... seriously. (And I ain't tryin' to be an azz... I'm 100% serious, I'm lost on the point.)

What good is a 24 hour burn cycle if it can't maintain room/house temperature?? I guess, my thinkin' is... it don't mean cold squat.
I mean... seriously... my old 4x4 pickup will get 50 MPG if'n I drive 10 MPH.
In my mind it ain't about... never has been about the burn time... it's the heating time that keeps ya' warm.

The most important question is... how long can that stove keep your whole house at 70° or so, during a mid-winter night, before a reloading is required??"

To answer your questions about the technical details, they are all on here. You just have to be able to read. I will tell you this: You are really shortchanging yourself by just automatically writing off what I have to say. Hey, no sweat off my brow.

It's all in post #15:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...iest-firewood-blaze-king-distance-run.269274/

P.S: Just so you know, my mothers 36 year old Earthstove will easily heat her 1500 sf home with pine for 12 hours.

Now I know he's fibbin', no way is that old truck going to get 50mpg if you drive 10mph. I don't care what kind of truck it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to show that this stove was capable of a real 24 hour burn that would be more than adequate to heat my drafty old house during shoulder season and milder winter weather. Woodstock advertises this stove as capable of 10-14 hour burns. They do not advertise it as a 24 hour burn stove.

It was not my intent to stir up any particular stove company's fan base. If you like Blaze King, great! They are great stoves and the owners of Blaze King and Woodstock are friends and together are leaders in the R&D of wood stove technology and design. But Blaze Kings aren't for everybody. For those who do not prefer Blaze King, discussions of other stove models should be encouraged, not derailed.

I want to see a Blaze King post documented like this guy did.
Not saying they wont burn for 40 hrs. but wtf give the guy a break plenty of info pics & vids -everything we want.

You "want to see a Blaze King post documented like this guy did..."

Should BK have to spend tens of thousands of their hard earned dollars to prove this to the public just because they make a piece of equipment that heats unusually well? The other manufacturers don't. You didn't ask the same of the Woodstock manufacturer because their performance was average and more believable right? BK should be punished for making their product too good? You see my point?

I guess as a company, you know you hit a home run when people are skeptical about your products stellar performance. Not a bad thing at all. The facts are on this forum and they back up what Blaze King publishes. People will either believe them or they won't.

Should BK have to spend tens of thousands of their hard earned dollars to prove this to the public just because they make a piece of equipment that heats unusually well? The other manufacturers don't. You didn't ask the same of the Woodstock manufacturer because their performance was average and more believable right? BK should be punished for making their product too good? You see my point?

I guess as a company, you know you hit a home run when people are skeptical about your products stellar performance. Not a bad thing at all. The facts are on this forum and they back up what Blaze King publishes. People will either believe them or they won't.
I don't want to speak for them, but I think the poster was NOT asking for the Blaze King company to document anything at all. I think he just thought it would be good to see a thread here documenting a Blaze King burn the way this thread documented a Woodstock Ideal Steel burn. I suspect its already been done here.

:clap::clap:

Just for the record I could probably get my Federal Airtight 288 to hold a fire 18 hours if I wanted to, but if I did that, the room would be cold half the time. White Spider has a point. If you throttle down any stove with air intakes and/or a damper, it will smolder forever, build up creosote, and produce little heat.

Wood only has so much heat content, and you can release it fast, slow, or something in between. If the load of wood only has 200,000 BTUs and your stove is 80% efficient, you will get a maximum of 160,000 BTUs. The rest goes up the chimney. So, if you ran the stove for four hours at 40,000 BTU/Hr, that's it--time to add another load. If you ran it for eight hours at 20,000 BTU/Hr, that's it also, but did you heat the house? I doubt it. The building's heat loss probably exceeded the stove's output.

White Spider has a point. If you throttle down any stove with air intakes and/or a damper, it will smolder forever, build up creosote, and produce little heat.

Unless it has a cat in which case it will be purring like a kitten:) Our stove is designed to smolder. The more smoldering the better because that is food for the cat. The firebox runs "cool" and the cat runs hot. It took some time for that to sink in for me.

White Spider has a point. If you throttle down any stove with air intakes and/or a damper, it will smolder forever, build up creosote, and produce little heat.

Unless it has a cat in which case it will be purring like a kitten:) Our stove is designed to smolder. The more smoldering the better because that is food for the cat. The firebox runs "cool" and the cat runs hot. It took some time for that to sink in for me.
But, you may have missed my point. The house could easily be losing heat faster than the stove is creating it. As such, the building's ambient temperature is going to drop.

There is only so much heat available from a load of wood. When it's gone, it's gone. Throttling down the stove merely postpones the time that a new load has to be added because you are lowering the burn rate (BTU/Hr). The wood fuel sets the BTU limit. Your stove and how you run it sets the Hr.

Just for the record I could probably get my Federal Airtight 288 to hold a fire 18 hours if I wanted to, but if I did that, the room would be cold half the time. White Spider has a point. If you throttle down any stove with air intakes and/or a damper, it will smolder forever, build up creosote, and produce little heat.

Wood only has so much heat content, and you can release it fast, slow, or something in between. If the load of wood only has 200,000 BTUs and your stove is 80% efficient, you will get a maximum of 160,000 BTUs. The rest goes up the chimney. So, if you ran the stove for four hours at 40,000 BTU/Hr, that's it--time to add another load. If you ran it for eight hours at 20,000 BTU/Hr, that's it also, but did you heat the house? I doubt it. The building's heat loss probably exceeded the stove's output.
not to hear the elitists on hear tell it!!!! :clap:

that is good. just remember,,not everyone of this forum,,has the money to buy a expensive stove...nor may not want to...its called America,,freedom,,tho elitists want it differently......

that is good. just remember,,not everyone of this forum,,has the money to buy a expensive stove...nor may not want to...its called America,,freedom,,tho elitists want it differently......

I realize that Oly and believe me, I'm sensitive to that fact. We aren't from money either, that stove being a major purchase for us. I wasn't pushing the stove in this circumstance, just trying to explain how it works differently than a traditional stove. Thank you for bringing the point up as it is important to the conversation.

I realize that Oly and believe me, I'm sensitive to that fact. We aren't from money either, that stove being a major purchase for us. I wasn't pushing the stove in this circumstance, just trying to explain how it works differently than a traditional stove. Thank you for bringing the point up as it is important to the conversation.

BK's stoves are exactly like the engineered VC cat stoves: cat, strong bimetallic air control, tight box.
BK has a better build, better QC than the later VC owners who dropped the quality ball and made the stove too damn complex without a high end build like BK.
You made me look over BK stoves here. Made me, you hear. Nice, but ugly for us so very aesthetes preferring a romantic cast design for those cold nights here in Siberia.
And not cheap.
I do Stihl.

Without investments that pay good returns it's hard to get ahead.

A high efficiency wood stove is one example.

A working wood shed is another.

I know people heating with the old smoke dragons than can never seem to get ahead on their wood supply, even to the point of burning wood that is not dry enough. I've got one next door to me and another about a half mile away. Both families are close friends of mine.

There are good reasons some folks can't afford a quality wood stove and they have little to do with the cost of the stove.

BK's stoves are exactly like the engineered VC cat stoves: cat, strong bimetallic air control, tight box.
BK has a better build, better QC than the later VC owners who dropped the quality ball and made the stove too damn complex without a high end build like BK.
You made me look over BK stoves here. Made me, you hear. Nice, but ugly for us so very aesthetes preferring a romantic cast design for those cold nights here in Siberia.
And not cheap.
I do Stihl.

Trust me Pulp, the King would grow into a beautiful swan once you've used it:)

I don't want to speak for them, but I think the poster was NOT asking for the Blaze King company to document anything at all. I think he just thought it would be good to see a thread here documenting a Blaze King burn the way this thread documented a Woodstock Ideal Steel burn. I suspect its already been done here.

You are correct Brian, although truth be told there was a bit of sarcasm mixed in with the request. I don't really care one way or the other about documenting BK stoves performance.

Back