242xp piston in Husky 444se

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutchkinkaid

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anybody ever try this? Looking at the specs last night it seems like they both have 10mm wrist pin diameters and 42mm bore...I read some threads here how unobtainable the 444se pistons are and about cutting an OE 346xp to fit, but was wondering if anyone has looked at this...

Comparing the specs listed here with your old 444 piston might help you decide, particularly the pin to crown distance and skirt length.
Looks like the transfer porting should work. If the 444 skirt is shorter your intake port timing would be extended.
https://sesdirect.co.nz/products/hu...it-42-mm-503-51-32-01-made-in-italy-by-meteor
Thanks for that link, just the kind of information I was looking for.

I had dug up some old threads on here where Wyk (I think) had gone through a few top ends with modified pistons and just wanted to see if there was something I could do without machine work.

My 444 is still together at the moment, but seems a bit down on compression. Was just going to put in a new Caber and be done with it, but I'll break out the caliper when I have it apart and see how the measurements match up.
41.95 is close enough to 42mm for me.

Thanks again. Got a few projects on the go at the moment but when I get to this I will follow up and pass on what I find.

Thanks for that link, just the kind of information I was looking for.

I had dug up some old threads on here where Wyk (I think) had gone through a few top ends with modified pistons and just wanted to see if there was something I could do without machine work.

My 444 is still together at the moment, but seems a bit down on compression. Was just going to put in a new Caber and be done with it, but I'll break out the caliper when I have it apart and see how the measurements match up.
41.95 is close enough to 42mm for me.

Thanks again. Got a few projects on the go at the moment but when I get to this I will follow up and pass on what I find.
Just correcting myself. I meant to say " If the 242 skirt is shorter.."

Hey,
That thread was the reason I got this saw, but it's strictly amateur hour over here, no pop-ups for this guy.
On second thought it's almost Father's Day; maybe I can convince my wife to give me a lathe...
Did you end up keeping that one?
Sure was ripping in that video.

Nathan still has it up at his place in Olympia. If I recall, you only need to shave off .025 or so. You can likely find a machine shop to do it fairly affordably? Maybe even someone here?
In any case, don't take my word for fact on the decking amount as it's been nearly 8 or 9 years since I had that saw. Well if you saw the thread, you prolly know what ya need to do.

Yes, reading that gives you a pretty good idea of what to do...
You'd actually started that thread saying you assumed a 242 XP piston would work, but ended up going in a different direction.
The info I got from Huskvarna Hotellgast's post looks promising with regards to that piston working in that barrel.
Mine still runs okay for what I use it for and maybe just popping on a new ring would give it back a little snap.
But while it's apart...

Hi, waking up an old thread here, but maybe some are still looking for info about this (I know I was). I have tried this now with a new 242 piston, and it worked great.
Used a Dremel with wolfram tip to make space in the piston for the slightly wider crankshaft in the 444. I had never used the Dremel to cut in aluminium before, and it was quite quick and easy to make enough room.
I dont have access to machining either, so I spent around 1h with sandpaper on the floor to shave off around 1,5mm from the top of the piston. I havent checked squish, but at least it stopped hitting the roof of the cylinder, and i did not consider hitting the sandpaper again.

I have another 444sg stock (older type with double ringed piston with skirt all the way around in the bottom), and when comparing - the one with 242 piston seems to have alot quicker accelleration, and seems stronger. Starts easy and runs well. i havent done anything with the ports other than cleaning and polishing intake and exhaust.

Latest posts

Back