260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spiffy,

No...did not get any goodies with the 361 I bought. I know I could have gotten the goodies at the shop close to my home (they quoted MSRP on the 260Pro and the gallon b/c oil, 6 pack oil mix/chain file) all for the MSRP cost. But I went on the recommendation to get this saw at a certain shop. Maybe I should have went to my local shop. But hey I just infused some money in the economy so the market is picking up! Cannot beat that and all you guys who have money in the stock market you owe me a coupla Bud Limes! :clap:

Well...I figured all of you guys who get freebies from where I bought my saw must be a handsome son of a gun...I am a ugly blonde LOL...surely you guys can strut your talk...LOL.

I am going to open another post regarding my 361...chime in if you want...Thx

Naahhh, as long as you're happy with how they treated you [I mean in providing the info you needed to make the right choice] and know they'll steer you right on any maintenance issues, that's what matters.

Actually, the biggest reason I inquired was closure on the case question rather than trying to be nosey - but, of course, had to wonder just what other things might have been worked in instead.

Too bad your first experience had to be a flood-out, but pretty sure you'll be grinning soon. Actually, I'm grinning just a bit about it, as I'm a newbie here [and not a pro either], and noted the chance to overchoke it a few posts ago in this thread - kind'a fun throwing in some info the pros hadn't already.

Not blonde, but I am ugly, and had to spend 3times what I planned on to get a deal with the freebies I did.

Guys, thanks for chimming in. The law of diminishing returns for me is probably paying more than $500 a saw.

Was looking at the MS 361---highly touted here as the best saw for a do-it-all...if there was ever such a thing. The MS 361 is *only* about $70 more than the MS 260 Pro. I am referring to the plain jane 361. Hard to believe that when the displacement of the 361 is almost 20% more.

Again, for me needs I should get what I need and not what I *may* need. I mean if the 361 was going away and had it for $30 more than the 260 I certainly would consider it but more likely the 260 fits my need.

Still mulling it over....

Of course the CS-400 is not in the same league as the 260 Pro but then the CS-400 is at least $200 cheaper and a person could still keep warm with a CS-400 running the firewood stack! (I run a Tacoma and have pulled boats and the like and has never let me down...not sure what a Ford XLT F150 can do better for me needs.)

Thanks for bringing up the issue that maybe the MS260 is no longer made. I think my Stihl dealer has both in stock and both are listed on the Stihl website so its probably still being made.

By the way, are all saws made by Stihl and distributed to Stihl-dealers sold at MSRP or are they a little less? Just wondering cuz you can buy a car for less than MSRP and wonder about these saws...

Thanks

Jim,
I own both of the saws that you are considering. Actually I own an 026, but I think it is pretty much the same as the 260. Like you I was looking for an all around saw and I used the 026 as that saw for years with very good service. The only thing I don't like about mine is the carburetor that does not have the "H" adjustment screw. In my opinion it just has never run right no matter what I do or whatever the Stihl dealer has done.

Now I am running into much bigger timber to cut and I decided to buy a 361. My primary consideration was price. I would have liked a bigger saw, but I just couldn't justify the extra cost. As it was, the 361 was just over $600.00 with a 20" bar.

The two saws are worlds apart. The 026 is a nice saw and very durable, but the 361 is in another class altogether. I have basically the safety chain on both saws and the 361 cuts at least 3 times faster than the 026 and has loads of power. I cut down some dead Birch trees last week about 20" in diameter and had them limbed and bucked up in about 15 minutes. And the 361 goes forever on a tank of gas. It accelerates instantly too.

In my opinion, if the 361 is only $70.00 dollars more than the 260 where you are, I would definitely go for the 361. If you need to, you can always put on a longer bar if needed in the future.

Just my 2 cents......

I have an MS260 standard model.....and did not get the 260 Pro. The pro has a compression release that I would never use as it starts very easy without using it, it has an adjustable oiler that I would never use as I only use a 16" bar and the non-adjustable oiler works fine, and the oiler running at idle on the standard 260 has never been a problem as I don't set my saw down and let it idle for more than a minute at a time. If money is any concern for you......just get the standard MS260 and it will serve you well.
My MS260 is my saw of choice for any wood that is not brush or if I am going to be cutting much wood over 10" in diameter. The saw is nimble, cuts well, and is very reliable. If you want a tad more performance and a bit more noise you can drill a couple of extra holes on either side of the existing muffler outlet and then retune the carb to get a bit more performance.

:agree2:, no need for a decomp and no need for a adj. oiler unless you will be running a 20" b&c. A 16" b&c is the best combo for a 260 imo.

DITTO ---:agree2:
As the body wears, you find that you go for the beast that weighs less, cuts more, takes abuse.
MS260 for 90% of the cuts.....oh, does not cure anything.:dizzy:

bought the 361

Naahhh, as long as you're happy with how they treated you [I mean in providing the info you needed to make the right choice] and know they'll steer you right on any maintenance issues, that's what matters.

Actually, the biggest reason I inquired was closure on the case question rather than trying to be nosey - but, of course, had to wonder just what other things might have been worked in instead.

Too bad your first experience had to be a flood-out, but pretty sure you'll be grinning soon. Actually, I'm grinning just a bit about it, as I'm a newbie here [and not a pro either], and noted the chance to overchoke it a few posts ago in this thread - kind'a fun throwing in some info the pros hadn't already.

Not blonde, but I am ugly, and had to spend 3times what I planned on to get a deal with the freebies I did.

Spiffy,

This thread is closed. I went up one better on a saw. Felt like running mor ethan I need. Now the problem is if I wanted a smaller saw...cannot get the 260Pro...they nearly complement each other. Got to put on my thinking cap here and I believe I will have another saw by fall. Don't want to be 2.5 hrs away from home and have a saw pinched or flooded and not have a backup.

Well...for better or worse...I am glad I flooded it and got all of this information on how to get around this. Hard to get this information when your a long ways from home and don't have access to a computer. Nothing compares to hearing from those who have had this problem and how they got their saws up and running. So in essence this was good learnin...

Anyone wanna sell a 260 saw? :)

Jim,
I own both of the saws that you are considering. Actually I own an 026, but I think it is pretty much the same as the 260. Like you I was looking for an all around saw and I used the 026 as that saw for years with very good service. The only thing I don't like about mine is the carburetor that does not have the "H" adjustment screw. In my opinion it just has never run right no matter what I do or whatever the Stihl dealer has done.

Now I am running into much bigger timber to cut and I decided to buy a 361. My primary consideration was price. I would have liked a bigger saw, but I just couldn't justify the extra cost. As it was, the 361 was just over $600.00 with a 20" bar.

The two saws are worlds apart. The 026 is a nice saw and very durable, but the 361 is in another class altogether. I have basically the safety chain on both saws and the 361 cuts at least 3 times faster than the 026 and has loads of power. I cut down some dead Birch trees last week about 20" in diameter and had them limbed and bucked up in about 15 minutes. And the 361 goes forever on a tank of gas. It accelerates instantly too.

In my opinion, if the 361 is only $70.00 dollars more than the 260 where you are, I would definitely go for the 361. If you need to, you can always put on a longer bar if needed in the future.

Just my 2 cents......

git er down here and go to the Leesburg shop and buy your 361. Good deals to he had in VA :clap:

I think the 260 and 361 may be closer to $100 apart and even at that...that is a small difference when you are talking about a lifelong saw. Hope this saw lasts me for 20 years at my rate. Cannot beat that. Actually...I am waiting for the opportunity to beat the crap out of it...or rather run it hard. I really think the 260 should be priced a tad less and I may just get one of those too later on. I hear they not making them anymore so I dunno...

You know...after hefting my 361 a few times...I really think this is not alot more weight than the 260. For that much power and a slight weight increase...I'll take the 361. For me the 361 may be a bit heavy when limbing but other than that I like it. I am fixing to start it this evening...see other thread for results! BTW...does the 260 flood easy too? Someone said the 361 was the only saw that floods easy?

git er down here and go to the Leesburg shop and buy your 361. Good deals to he had in VA :clap:

I think the 260 and 361 may be closer to $100 apart and even at that...that is a small difference when you are talking about a lifelong saw. Hope this saw lasts me for 20 years at my rate. Cannot beat that. Actually...I am waiting for the opportunity to beat the crap out of it...or rather run it hard. I really think the 260 should be priced a tad less and I may just get one of those too later on. I hear they not making them anymore so I dunno...

You know...after hefting my 361 a few times...I really think this is not alot more weight than the 260. For that much power and a slight weight increase...I'll take the 361. For me the 361 may be a bit heavy when limbing but other than that I like it. I am fixing to start it this evening...see other thread for results! BTW...does the 260 flood easy too? Someone said the 361 was the only saw that floods easy?

Jim,
I think you made the best choice. I rarely use my 026 anymore as the 361 is just a nicer all around saw. I also plan to keep my saws for a long time so the extra money isn't that much over the life of the saw.

I think you'll be very impressed with the 361.

I haven't flooded my saw yet, but I had the advice here on Artboristsite before I even bought mine. So I knew what not to do. I used the decomp once and decided that it wasn't all that hard to pull without it so I just start it without the decomp. It works for me.

Congrats, you will love the saw.

LP

Favorite chain for MS260??

Anybody have a favorite chain for their MS260? I love this saw for it's power in a light weight saw and it's great.
I want to get a saftey chain and a full chisel.:greenchainsaw:

there's another post some where on chains for 026's. when mine finally gets here ill probably go with 3/8 full chisel, mainly because its the same mount bar as my ms441 so i can put the 16" on the when i want to plunge cut red gum stumps but then again they may change when the saw gets here

Three saws come to mind , Take a trip to u`r local Stihl & Husqvarna dealer , most of my local dealers have both brands under the same roof. Run the three saws i`m going to mention through some rounds @ u`r dealer and decide for u`r self. Sign up for a local chainsaw saftey course.
1) Stihl Ms361
2) Husqvarna 346 Xp/Ne
3) Stihl 260 pro

*** Saws you might want to try after u`r chainsaw saftey course.
1) Husqvarna 372xp
2) Husqvarna 576xp
3) Stihl Ms460
Peace

Back