261C m-tronic catless muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a recent 261C and the muffler gets almighty hot after any kind of extended use. It's under warranty and I don't want to hack it about, (yet). Can anyone point me towards another cat less muffler, perhaps from a previous generation, that bolts on that I could substitute to enable it to run a bit cooler?
If Stihl are happy with running the saw that hot, perhaps I shouldn't worry but I'd hate to get through the warranty period only to have it fail soon after due to this EPA mandated restriction.
thanks
Beardy

Oh w-hell... the muffler is getting hot now... what has it become with combustion engines these days...

All the version 2's are an empty can.

The older ones just had a tube that killed performance.
That's good to know. I have a non-M 261 that doesn't keep up with my 346XP.
I was planning on modifying the muffler to remove the tube, but installing a Version 2 muffler would be even easier.

That's good to know. I have a non-M 261 that doesn't keep up with my 346XP.
I was planning on modifying the muffler to remove the tube, but installing a Version 2 muffler would be even easier.
Even with that it likely won't keep up with a 346.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I have a recent 261C and the muffler gets almighty hot after any kind of extended use. It's under warranty and I don't want to hack it about, (yet). Can anyone point me towards another cat less muffler, perhaps from a previous generation, that bolts on that I could substitute to enable it to run a bit cooler?
If Stihl are happy with running the saw that hot, perhaps I shouldn't worry but I'd hate to get through the warranty period only to have it fail soon after due to this EPA mandated restriction.
thanks
Beardy
Buy an aftermarket muffler and mod it, well worth it for peace of mind, the less restrictions the better to a point,
and you will at least be sure its not a restricted muffler problem if the heat doesn't die down a bit after the mod.

This guy modded his muffler, he also talks of re calibrating the saw, may be a re calibration would
help your saw find its tune, did it run out of fuel at any time.

Thanks for the attention. I had assumed there was a cat in the muffler and it looks like I was wrong.
cheers

Pulled the muffler on my 261C today and looked inside. I only saw the pair of tubes for the muffler to cylinder screws and a defector for the exhaust port.
I take this to mean that I have the "open" version of the muffler.

Same here
The tube can be hard to see. It’s kind of buried right up there in the top back corner

I looked in my muff,, once you pull the screen out you can shine a lite and there is nothing blocking it, you can use a hook/probe and feel it it opened up in that tube.
Im probably gonna slice the side open with slots.
Awaiting a slug from italy.
Lotsa hours on the saw, but it pretty clean. Comp was a lil under 150 and a little carbon score.
No complaints on a free saw with B/C

Latest posts

Back