262XP Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed the thread, makes me want to go to work in the shop as I have a few 200 series that need to be built but I am nursing a busted knee cap and they don't heal real fast on a 80 year old!!
Do all you can to make it heal and good luck in the healing process....

I picked up a small lot of saws last week. They were advertised as Husqvarna 257s. I picked the saws up without a whole lot of testing, got home, and started poking around. Turned out one of the saws was actually a 262XP with a 257 recoil cover. A little further digging and it looks to be an early model with the Walboro HDA-87 carb. It's missing its black tag, so I can't verify when it was built. It was filthy (all the saws were), and missing a few parts. But I'm trying to see if I can bring it back to life.

View attachment 936872

View attachment 936873

View attachment 936874

I managed to get the carcass stripped down over the last few nights. And mostly cleaned up. The piston is pretty well shot. But the cylinder isn't too bad after a quick honing. Since OEM cylinders are rare...or expensive I'm going to give it a shot. Figured I check the compression with the new piston and ring and go from there. The bearings and seals thankfully look good, so I'm not going to crack the crankcase. Just a lot of odds and ends, broken, missing or worn.

This is where I'm at for parts that have been ordered:

Choke Control
Walboro K22-HDA kit
Seal Collar
Meteor Piston kit with Caber Ring
Gasket kit
Ignition coil and switch

At this point, it's just been several days of parts clean-up. and one pretty heinous gas tank repair. More on that in a sec. These are after some clean-up. Pictured with the filthiest of the two 257s.

View attachment 936876

View attachment 936878
Thanks for a great thread! Keep them coming!

So, just a quick update on this saw as it's been a bit. Back in December, I got everything to the point where I thought it was more or less finished. Then had some other saws that needed attention (had a Stihl 066 and another 026 land in my lap). I came back to this saw a few weeks later and discovered that when I did get it to start the RPM's would run away quickly. Indicating an air leak. I didn't trust my little DIY leak down setup so I took it down to a local saw shop for a full leak down test and they determined there was a pinhole leak on the crank seal (output side). Supply issues being what they are, it took a couple of months to get the proper seals. SO, this saw is presently sitting disassembled in a box waiting. I have two cars to finish some work on and then I should be back to reassembling this saw for the 10th time lol. Hopefully, I'll be back in a couple of weeks with more pictures and a final reassembly of this beast. Have to start getting saws ready. I have one friend with a pile of oak and cherry logs he wants to turn me loose on with the Alaskan mill. And some other friends want the black walnuts removed from their woods. If I get my act together here...I could be lumber rich by the fall.

Latest posts

Back