28 inch bar on 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary pepper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and not shure if I'm posting this in the right place? But I am trying to answer a post everyone says 28 inch bar is to big for the 455. Very much not true and wrong. I have a stock 455 rancher and I regularly run from 18 inch 3/8 .050 bar up to a 36 inch 3/8. .050 bar. I have zero problems with longer bars my main cutting bar is in fact a 28 inch 3/8. .050 Oregon power match sprocket nose bar with full chisel skip link chain and ripping chain with ease! Only thing I can say is don't be afraid to run bigger bar chain combos up to 36 inch. Make sure you turn the oiler adjustment screw up to 3 otherwise you will be running a dry chain and we all know what will happen! And just because someone says you will have a hard time finding a bar is also not true contact frawleys saw shop in Iowa they have any size bar for damn near any saw on the market and stock all types and sizes of chain. And they can also make custom chain types also. Now if you want to prove all the ney sayer's wrong you do like I did and I built my other 455 rancher. It's running a 56 inch 3/8 .050 full chisel skip link chain! Everyone said you can't put a 56 inch bar on that saw, well I did and cut most of the day today!! It's nothing super big or fancy just a stock looking saw overall except for the internals! It's a Husqvarna big bore, chrome plated piston and cylinder custom, I ported the exhaust and intake built a healthy custom carb, high performance air filter, exhaust mod to make it exhale better and run it on 100 low lead avaition fuel with a heavy 50:1 mix ratio and a custom oil pump modification to get oil down the 56 inch Oregon bar and chain combo. It goes through oil faster than most saws but chain wear is quite low! Although fuel economy has increased after building a hopped up 455 rancher! All I can say is use safe cutting and felling practices and hold on tight and let it do the work for you because it's a nasty animal that I have been felling trees with on a weekly basis for many trouble free years now and it keeps up with the big saws and work's just as hard as the sthil 881. So now the real truth about how big is too big is out there. Be safe, cut big, have fun 😎

Lets see a vid of it running against a Stihl 881 in a 36" log. Steve
That's not the point of my post at all. The point of my post is to prove that you can run a 28 inch bar on the 455. It's a big bar but it's is just fine for general cutting. Not hard to find and reasonably priced.

Lets see a vid of it running against a Stihl 881 in a 36" log. Steve
And for what it's worth my 455 cuts through a 36 inch red oak log in around 35 seconds so yeah it will keep up with the 2200 dollar sthil 881. But clearly steve for mountainlake just wants to start puffing up because I am not afraid to call out the ney sayer's and don't do thaters and the you will have a hard time finding a bar guys. SOMEONE ASKED A LEGITIMATE QUESTION AND I OFFERED MY ANSWER!!! SO YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND TAUNT SOMEONE ELSE. I AM SORRY YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO BUT BE ARROGANT AND RUDE BECAUSE I STATED HONEST FACTS.

Don't know about the 28 in. bar but I run a 24 in. bar on a 455 with no problem for cut down and limbing. The reason for the 24 is getting old sucks and the 24" helps with reach and saving the back. When I get them limbed I get out the old counter vibe poulan 4400 with the bow blade, the real back saver.

I really have no time for braggers like you. Steve
Good **** off because you were put in your place by someone who is not bragging but trying to be helpful to the gentleman's question and y'all are only making problems for answering a question. I'm sorry you are just a waste of my time 🖕

Not sure I’d say your saw is still a 455 after the mods, but that’s an impressive report for even a highly modded 455.

28" 93dl is as big as that mount goes. Strange no comment about the mods needed to go to the large mount Husky or whatever you will "claim" to be using.

I have run a 34" large radius hard nose large mount husky on my Dolmar 6100 to split logs lengthwise. The oil input hole of the bar, at least a portion of it, is past the pad the bar attaches to. I would have to think the large mount saws are heavier behind the front handle, with more length between the handles.

Back