28 inch bar on 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still just don't get it do you? It's really the concept of the gentleman's question. And I tried to give a clear truthful answer you jackass. Description of my hopped up 455 is also just to make clear that you can run big bar combos with 455 saws but if you want to run big bar combos without having a dedicated professional saw that you are going to have to build a strong saw to run bigger than 36 inch bar on a stock 455. So now do you understand my post? What's wrong with answering a question and giving a viable alternative as food for thought. So how is it bragging?
Zach, Not worth raising YOUR blood pressure; let it roll like water off a ducks back

Hi I'm new here and not shure if I'm posting this in the right place? But I am trying to answer a post everyone says 28 inch bar is to big for the 455. Very much not true and wrong. I have a stock 455 rancher and I regularly run from 18 inch 3/8 .050 bar up to a 36 inch 3/8. .050 bar. I have zero problems with longer bars my main cutting bar is in fact a 28 inch 3/8. .050 Oregon power match sprocket nose bar with full chisel skip link chain and ripping chain with ease! Only thing I can say is don't be afraid to run bigger bar chain combos up to 36 inch. Make sure you turn the oiler adjustment screw up to 3 otherwise you will be running a dry chain and we all know what will happen! And just because someone says you will have a hard time finding a bar is also not true contact frawleys saw shop in Iowa they have any size bar for damn near any saw on the market and stock all types and sizes of chain. And they can also make custom chain types also. Now if you want to prove all the ney sayer's wrong you do like I did and I built my other 455 rancher. It's running a 56 inch 3/8 .050 full chisel skip link chain! Everyone said you can't put a 56 inch bar on that saw, well I did and cut most of the day today!! It's nothing super big or fancy just a stock looking saw overall except for the internals! It's a Husqvarna big bore, chrome plated piston and cylinder custom, I ported the exhaust and intake built a healthy custom carb, high performance air filter, exhaust mod to make it exhale better and run it on 100 low lead avaition fuel with a heavy 50:1 mix ratio and a custom oil pump modification to get oil down the 56 inch Oregon bar and chain combo. It goes through oil faster than most saws but chain wear is quite low! Although fuel economy has increased after building a hopped up 455 rancher! All I can say is use safe cutting and felling practices and hold on tight and let it do the work for you because it's a nasty animal that I have been felling trees with on a weekly basis for many trouble free years now and it keeps up with the big saws and work's just as hard as the sthil 881. So now the real truth about how big is too big is out there. Be safe, cut big, have fun 😎
How much would you charge to build a saw this? I could use a saw like this.

Interesting story here for sure. It reminds me of a guy I met long ago that bragged about his Chevy 283 that could beat a 426 Hemi in the quarter mile. I told him that I would have to see that to believe it. End of story with his bragging.

Interesting story here for sure. It reminds me of a guy I met long ago that bragged about his Chevy 283 that could beat a 426 Hemi in the quarter mile. I told him that I would have to see that to believe it. End of story with his bragging.

Yeah, I don't expect him to be back. Since we asked for proof that doesn't exist.

Still just don't get it do you? It's really the concept of the gentleman's question. And I tried to give a clear truthful answer you jackass. Description of my hopped up 455 is also just to make clear that you can run big bar combos with 455 saws but if you want to run big bar combos without having a dedicated professional saw that you are going to have to build a strong saw to run bigger than 36 inch bar on a stock 455. So now do you understand my post? What's wrong with answering a question and giving a viable alternative as food for thought. So how is it bragging?
I am getting older my back is killing me and could use a good lightweight saw like this with a long bar so I do not have to bend over so much presently the longest bar I run is a 24", Looks like your only 20-30 minutes from me so we should be able to easily meet up. Being retired I do not have a lot of disposable income to be purchasing one of the Pro level saws so would be a good alternative.

I am getting older my back is killing me and could use a good lightweight saw like this with a long bar so I do not have to bend over so much presently the longest bar I run is a 24", Looks like your only 20-30 minutes from me so we should be able to easily meet up. Being retired I do not have a lot of disposable income to be purchasing one of the Pro level saws so would be a good alternative.
Save yer money good sir.

I was looking at the 572XP with a 24" b&C but if I could a 455 and run a 28" b&c for half the cost and 3-4lbs lighter that seems like the route to go.

24inch might do you adequately on a 455 if not in a hurry. If you sell logs I would want a saw to cut faster to prevent splintering when felling.
I had a Sachs Dolmar 112 50cc came with a 24inch bar i liked it well, was surprised how well it worked with a 24inch. Extended reach is an advantage in many conditions.

I love this thread, great bit of trolling from Mr Pepper
If I could get my 261 to pull a 36" bar and roast a 881 then the internet would be alight with my videos!!
Also I'm sure Stihl would be employing me to show them how to eliminate the need for 75% of the saws they make!
As his rancher is so badass think what he could do with a 592! It would open black holes.

24inch might do you adequately on a 455 if not in a hurry. If you sell logs I would want a saw to cut faster to prevent splintering when felling.
I had a Sachs Dolmar 112 50cc came with a 24inch bar i liked it well, was surprised how well it worked with a 24inch. Extended reach is an advantage in many conditions.
Firewood so not concerned with splintering and if the tree split while cutting it might make splitting easier.

An old video, but you get the point. He's a hoot!

PS3 chain is low kick safety chain, a poor choice with the bar buried in a huge log. If cutting 20in and lesser diameter wood that could serve some purposes well.
My 025 wears 16inch picco and cuts mean and fast through 10inch and less hardwoods. If i could find a 20in picco bar that doesn't strain my saw funds I am confident it wouldn't be much different. 24inch be a stretch and I don't think i would like the balance. When it comes to cutting a fair amount of big wood, it's wasting a lot of time not using a larger more powerful chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back