288xp.... leave as part of our past, or make it part of the present?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdDawg3205

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a chance to pick up a 288xp from a family friend; it is a 1999. Now I know that these saws were mostly well received by people back in that day, but would it still hold its own today (against newer 90ish cc saws) considering the many variables that come into play? Here is what I know of the saw..... 1) cosmetically it is real nice and it runs, 2) was told it has compression of around 155ish psi, 3) it is one owner, 4) it was not a production saw (it was used to feed an indoor, then later an outdoor wood burner), and 5) he had other saws that he used more frequently.

I don't want to beat him up too bad, but was thinking (based on casual conversations with the owner) that I can pick it up for around $400. Does that seem reasonable for a 23 year old saw? I don't want to take advantage of an old family friend, just as much as I do not want to be taken advantage of by anyone.

There was not a bar on it when he was showing it to me, so I'm not sure whether a bar could be part of the deal or not. I didn't go that far with him when we I first showed interest and when we first talked.

Opinions are appreciated! Thanks.

288's are so good they're still in production and used around the world, just not produced in the USA because of emissions and high-fashion

390xp has better anti-vibes, less torque, higher rpm range.

400 is a good deal if it's in good shape and doesn't need new fuel lines, carb work, or anything major.

Oh! So they are still made, just not in North America. Now that you say that, I think I recall Robin Wood offering them for sale. Forgot about that. I'll have to, out of curiosity, see what he was getting for a new, over seas model.

Thanks for the input.

Yes

Robin did have them, but I'm not sure if he still does. Haven't heard a peep out of him lately.

I'm planning for a new mill-saw in the future, if LIFE quits getting in the way, and am intrigued by his offering of the Echo 1201 vs a 3120 vs an 880/1

I noticed as well that Robin has been silent for some time. Hope all is well with him.

So, $400 seems to be far for both parties? I kinda thought it was fair, but my opinions are biased of course.

Have a couple, they are legendary Husky and have proven they’re worth over and over again and easy to work on .

Attachments

• 50E3EBAF-2FAC-4D5E-BB72-4622C463B909.jpeg
    50E3EBAF-2FAC-4D5E-BB72-4622C463B909.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 17BCFA01-3DCD-4FF0-857D-CF94EA66CEDF.jpeg
    17BCFA01-3DCD-4FF0-857D-CF94EA66CEDF.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 0
In their day they were the best dang thing out there- the 281 was the best weight to power for something like four years until Stihl woke up and delivered the 064 on the market- the 288 was just another step up for Husqvarna.
The 2## saws were/are legendary and probably what set Husqvarna up Worldwide- they are a good power saw even by todays standards and in my opinion better than the MS660 that came along much later.
Not as refined as a 3## series, but close in power for a general user. Is it worth the asking price? I have no idea- I have not paid more than $100 of our dollars for one as a stand alone powerhead over here and have 3 288's and 1 281.
Pull the clutch cover of the saw and check for cracks in the side face of that crankcase half- about the only deal breaker they are prone to.

I bought mine in 1991 - it's still running strong, has great balance, and pulls a 42" bar through practically anything like a hot knife in butter (although these days I baby it with a 32"). They only thing I miss is a compression release valve for my tweaky shoulder. But that says something just in itself. It's name is Thor.

So..... I spoke with the gentleman on the phone last night, and I will be paying him a visit this weekend. He sounded excited that I wanted to visit and talk chainsaws with him (again). I made mention of the 288 and our previous conversation. I couldn't get a good read on him as to whether or not he is still interested in parting with the saw, like he indicated to me during my last visit. We shall see.....

Back