288xp.... leave as part of our past, or make it part of the present?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, on the drive over to check out this gentleman's saws including the 288, I had a funny feeling that this was not going to work out like I was hoping. He (now 72 years young) was more interested in talking about the good ol' days that he and my father shared, and stories that he had recalled in regards to each of his chainsaws. In the end, it just seemed that he wanted someone to talk to, specially someone who would appreciate his saws as much as he does.

So near the end of our visit, I brought up the 288 and asked if he would still consider selling it to me. He said he would, and we settled on $425.... but after seeing his eyes begin to water up, and hearing the tremble in his voice, I just couldn't take that saw from him. It obviously means too much to him, and I think that him selling it would kind of indicate to him that his time here on earth is becoming short. So in the end, I declined his offer while letting him know that it wasn't because of the price (I would have gladly given that or more for it, specially from him). I could tell he was relieved in the end.

All in all, he was happy to have some company, and I enjoyed the visit and the sense of satisfaction I left with..... knowing I didn't take someones "baby" from them.

There are more fish in the sea.....

Well, on the drive over to check out this gentleman's saws including the 288, I had a funny feeling that this was not going to work out like I was hoping. He (now 72 years young) was more interested in talking about the good ol' days that he and my father shared, and stories that he had recalled in regards to each of his chainsaws. In the end, it just seemed that he wanted someone to talk to, specially someone who would appreciate his saws as much as he does.

So near the end of our visit, I brought up the 288 and asked if he would still consider selling it to me. He said he would, and we settled on $425.... but after seeing his eyes begin to water up, and hearing the tremble in his voice, I just couldn't take that saw from him. It obviously means too much to him, and I think that him selling it would kind of indicate to him that his time here on earth is becoming short. So in the end, I declined his offer while letting him know that it wasn't because of the price (I would have gladly given that or more for it, specially from him). I could tell he was relieved in the end.

All in all, he was happy to have some company, and I enjoyed the visit and the sense of satisfaction I left with..... knowing I didn't take someones "baby" from them.

There are more fish in the sea.....

That's a great story. You did a commendable thing.

I have 2 working and 1 “Display Case Queen”. As the 181 (“188” now with a meteor 88 kit, WITH compression release), tank finally gave up the ghost, I robbed the display case tank. That one is all the OEM NOS parts that all say made in SWEDEN on them…. I looked up other sites tgat allegedly sell OEM parts. Well I built that 188 back together knowing a new OEM tank was on the way from Fire Dog.vomit. So it came from some power sports company in a box that said BOAT on it??? And first thing I did was look on the bottom: Made in BRAZIL!!! I was so F’ing pissed! This was today. I’m not sure what to do. I see new Brazilian 288 saws on Fleabay right now, for $1400! I bet you $ they don’t cost half of that in Brazil. Why? Cuz they got a Brazilian of them! 🤣🤣🤣 They are selling to the third world. I bet you they are better than the Chinesium junk out there. I accidentally bought a Chinesium intake for that saw. The studs pulled out of it the first time I tightened them FINGER TIGHT. Then I got a call from my credit card fraud hot line: “are you currently in Beijing buying $400 of Microsoft software?” No, in in Green River Utah trying to buy $60 of gas! WTF! Cancelled credit card etc. 😡😡😡👺👺👺 F China! It’s all crap. So upset how Husqvarna turned out. SOLD OUT. SAAB too! I had 7 of those: 6 900s pre GM. The 9000 GM p.o.s. Had a V6 Citero motor that was junk…. Then they sold out to China…. 🙇‍♂️ I digress. So the question is, does ANYBODY have any experience with this Brazilian crap??? It was only $135 delivered tax and all. Now I know why. “OEM” does NOT mean made in Sweden no mo. I’m pulling the NOS unit back off that saw, (no gas in it yet) and putting it back in the case to be built someday. Then putting this Brazilian crap in the saw. Oh yeah, I forgot, it came with the throttle trigger lever BROKEN, and the spring too! How the F*** do you break the F’ing spring??? It’s a tiny recessed thing wrapped around the pin that it rotates on!!!
Here is tge “188” and the display case queen. Note the boxes of OEM NOS Cylinder, Piston, carb, crank in the background all made in SWEDEN??? 😳

Attachments

• D53C9828-A5C1-430E-8094-0873768550F0.jpeg
    D53C9828-A5C1-430E-8094-0873768550F0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 05009DCB-C750-4655-BCD2-F43E9F352B8E.jpeg
    05009DCB-C750-4655-BCD2-F43E9F352B8E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Here is my scuderia at work. On the way to the neighbors to drop a couple of bug kill pines on the road before they block the road, and slabbing out some bug kills at our place.

Attachments

• 6F5E0002-BD75-43FF-B387-07AF67AF1A67.jpeg
    6F5E0002-BD75-43FF-B387-07AF67AF1A67.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 893B3AB5-22B4-4D5A-BDCE-432A7ABED5BA.jpeg
    893B3AB5-22B4-4D5A-BDCE-432A7ABED5BA.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
You will find another. They are out there. Fleabay has some now. They are totally rebuildable from good aftermarket stuff, or if you are a snob like me, you will have to spend $ to make it all Swedish. Truth is, tge Italian parts are great. A fraction of the price, but WAY higher quality than Chinesium. If you are going to actually work that saw and not just gaze at it, then just buy one and fix it up. I’ve used mine every year, since I bought it in 85-86.

Back