2in1 Sharpener Pferd and Stihl file sizes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if there would have been. The difference I was referring to above was the difference in the spacing of the guide rods and how they rode on the cutters. The only reason I changed file sizes was I wanted to use 7/32" files, that's all. The 13/64" may work just fine.
Thanks, I use 7/32 as well with an Oregon file guide. I didn't know if the 13/64 in the Pferd guide would work well or not. I will give them a try before I decide to switch them out.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Anyone that is interested in getting one of these 2in1 file guides, centerline out of Charlotte NC has them for $31.99 with 2 free replacement round files and free shipping. That's the best deal I've seen.
The 'killer' for me is the cost for the replacement depth gauge files for those guides; about $14 at my STIHL dealer (!) Closer to $9 each for the genuine Pferd models at some places (I avoid the no-name versions). Round files for those are the standard ones that you can get for $1 to $2 each.

Philbert

The 'killer' for me is the cost for the replacement depth gauge files for those guides; about $14 at my STIHL dealer (!) Closer to $9 each for the genuine Pferd models at some places (I avoid the no-name versions). Round files for those are the standard ones that you can get for $1 to $2 each.

Philbert
The Pferd ones are $10.85 free shipping from centerline. I have read reviews that they last a very long time. I thought they were kind of expensive too, but if they last, it's worth it to me for the time savings.

Does anyone know if there's a 2 in 1 that works for square chisel? They save so much time not having to mess with the raker heights. I have Oregon hand jig and dremel but the 2 in 1 is simple and cuts time
I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It would be cool to have one. I have a square ground chain that I haven't tried yet because I don't know how to sharpen it when it gets dull. A 2in1 for square would be awesome. Post it up if you find one.

Does the Pferd 2in1 sharpener use a different file size than the Stihl for the 3/8 version? I thought I read somewhere that Pferd uses 7/32 while Stihl uses 13/64. I have a Pferd 2in1 sharpener 3/8 version, actually won it in a giveaway a while back. The Pferd I have has 13/64 files and had trouble getting the files out. The whole thing came apart trying to pull the files out and still had trouble getting them out. It acts like the files are too big. On the handle it does say 5.2mm which is 13/64. But not sure why they would be so tight. I have the Stihl 3/8 version and it has the same size file and they slide right out.
Might explain why the Pferd-sharpened chain cuts faster than the Stihl RS out of the box, but I thought maybe the Pferd filed the rakers down more.

I have both the Pferd 3/8" pitch and .404 pitch ones. My 3/8" one DID did come with 13/64" files and my .404 one came with 7/32" files.

What I did was take my 3/8 pitch one and removed the 13/64" files and installed some SaveEdge 7/32" files. It wasn't easy though as the holes had to be ever so slightly made larger so the larger 7/32" files could be slid in and out. I could have forced the 7/32" file in, but then I don't know if I'd ever get it back out, which I did not want. I took a 7/32" drill bit and actually turned it by hand little bit by little bit and finally got the hole enlarged enough to where the 7/32" files would work. There is no room to get a drill in there, only enough room for a drill bit by itself. I only had to do that with one of them, the other I was able to slide the file in and out fast enough to where the file itself enlarged the hole.

View attachment 885905 View attachment 885906 View attachment 885907

Silent P......

Ferd
And the "e" is pronounced as the "ai" in "hair" or "fair". In other words, Faird.

No, they don't. The Pferd folks designed and patented their own. Same with the Stihl log lifters, peaveys, etc. They are designed and built by Logrite. But you know, orange is a much more expensive color than blue or green! :)
Yes, I’m aware of that. Poor attempt at sarcasm on my part. Many folks drinking the Kool-Aid at the time I made that post were getting their feelings hurt when they learned that a blue company designed something for the orange and white.

Back