3 ea Husky 390XP bogging down at top end- I am lost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarongd

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a question concerning the above
I fix/repair chainsaws on a regular basis and this one has me absolutely stumped!!! I have spend hours trying to figure it out
So a customer of mine brought me 3 ea husky 390xp chainsaws. any where from 2015-2018 production models
Every single one of them bogs down exactly the same way. At high end they cutout like they have ran out of gas and i cannot seems to figure out why. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after 1 tank, sometimes 2 tanks. It is random of when it does it. I am concentrating on only one at a time until i figure it out, and when i do, i can easily fix the other two.
So on saw #1, this is what i have done so far.

- Changed impulse line, changed fuel line, changed coil, changed piston, changed ignition switch, changed spark plug, cleaned carb with heated ultrasonic cleaner with a new Carb kit (all three carbs), sprayed starting fluid all around boots, cylinder, pto/clutch, flywheel side etc to check for air leaks. Totally removed clutch, clutch drum, and oil pump and them sprayed directly onto crank seal with no leaks anywhere i can find. I also ruled out tank vent as when it was bogging out i removed gas cap to ensure vapor lock wasn't happening etc. It will idle all day long, so even more the reason i do not think its an airleak.

My next step is going to, and is on order, to put a brand new OEM carburetor, but i find it hard to believe that three carbs are all bad with exactly the same symptoms. And especially when they have been 100% cleaned for over an hour in a heated ultrasonic tank with new water/degreaser solution and then sprayed with carb cleaner and all tiny orifices 100% cleaned out and verified as being clean. And for that matter, 3 bad coils, three bad fuel lines etc etc. Chances of 3 ea of anything being bad on 3 ea saws are slim to none IMO

Anyone possibly have this same issue and/or can help me figure.

Hmmmmmm interesting on the logger changing carbs. I ordered one so I will see when it comes in. Don’t think gas is the issue. His gas and with mine both do same thing. I was talking to a husky dealer today and several years ago husky gas similar issue with the k750 chip saw. Found the inlet screen in carb eventually clogged up just enough to starve engine for fuel as the screen microns was to fine. I forgot to mention in original post that when is was doing its bogging down deal that if I bottle fed it without air filter it ran perfect. I am going to take out screen and reinstall and try it in a couple minutes. Lol. Running out of things to try. Will post my findings

When you had the carbs apart did you remove the welch plugs? Could be a partially clogged main jet or circuit. With today's garbage fuel I wouldn't be surprised if there are deposits inside all those carbs. You could also take 1 carb back apart and try running a slightly larger micro twist drill through the main jet to see if it makes a difference.

When you had the carbs apart did you remove the welch plugs? Could be a partially clogged main jet or circuit. With today's garbage fuel I wouldn't be surprised if there are deposits inside all those carbs. You could also take 1 carb back apart and try running a slightly larger micro twist drill through the main jet to see if it makes a difference.
Yep, and assuming they all ingest fuel from the same source, this may be the issue.
You did not mention the in tank filter, I would assume you tried that first.
OP: Try these two things

Check for slop in the bearing on the clutch side. I worked on a 346 that acted just the way you described. The pocket in the case for the bearing was stretched forward, allowing movement. I can’t explain it, but one minute it would leak and the next it would not. I did a lot of the stuff you did before I found it. I believe the owner of the saw allowed it to cool off with a tight chain repeatedly, damaging the case. JMHO.

Back