3 saw plan to 2 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BushWackin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I may be crazy, but I am thinking about changing up my saw plan. I live on 60 acres, mostly wooded. I do not heat with wood, mostly trail maintenance, bonfires, and occasional feeling for a portable sawmill.

I find I never use my little stihl 181, I barely use my ported 7910, and my 5105 gets all the atv time and 90% of my total usage with a 16 or 20 inch bar. A 24 inch bar is probably enough bar to cut anything on my property, 28 would be for sure. Most cutting is under 18 inches in diameter. I find the 5105 gets anything under 14 inches or so now, and any larger I grab the 7910.

My question is, should I sell all three and go with a two saw plan like....

Echo 490 and a ported jonsered 2260? Both seem to get great reviews here.

That would allow me to have the lightest 50cc saw (same weight as a dollar 421), a saw powerful enough for a 24 -28 inch bar if needed, and I could share bars across the two saws as the small husky bars I believe can be easily modified for the echo.

This setup would use the echo for cutting brush and trees from 2" to 12" it so, and the jred for anything bigger (up to 32 inch trees or so). I could have all bars in .325 up to 28 I believe (16, 20, 24, 28). Any long bar usage on the echo would just be to save my back on little stuff.

This also leaves me with less engines to maintain and gives each saw more run time, as I only use them maybe 20 total hours per year.

Thoughts? Better combos?

I do like the idea of the auto tune saws which is why I picked the 2260, but don't see much auto tune in the 10lb range in the same bar mount.

Thanks!

New Ms241 and used oe372xp

New 550xp and keep the 7910

No doubt the echo is a decent rancher saw, but it will not be a 550xp by far. Or even a 421...

You will be using the little saw the most. You are not afraid of auto tune. Buy the hottest little 50cc saw. Husky 550 or Jonny 2253.

Why downgrade your 50cc choice from the 5105?

40 and 50cc saws are all about handling and throttle response. The 5105 is merely ok in handling and decent in throttle response, but it is not a 550xp...

If you want the echo, get the 501p

I’ll spend your money any way I see fit, lol.

My old Jonny 590’s weigh about the same as my 5105, but they are torquier and balance far better with a little more weight in the rear handle and an outboard clutch they flip around better than any other saw I have by far. They are really nice to run and handle. The weight is inconsequential even when compared to my Dolly 421.

My Echo cs590 is a bonafide proper firewood saw. That is all.

My OE MS362 is not known as a great handling saw, but it is smooth and torquey and handles better than the Echo cs590 fwiw.

I have only held a cs490 and it felt pretty nice. But it is not in the same league as the best Stihls or Husky’s. It just isn’t.

I don’t have a bigger saw than 60cc, but soon will be keeping my eyes out for an old 372 in good shape. They are the standard by which all other 70cc saws are measured, imo.

Enough rubbish from me...

If it were my choice I'd wait till the slow season and send that 5105 off to get ported. Then I'd sell the little Stihl. Of course I'd want to have a pretty good Dolmar dealer around.

Except it will never feel as nice as a 550 in a limbing or general toss around application. It just won’t.

And it makes beautiful power already.

Get a cs501 and port it, maybe...idk about that?

And selling the Stihl is a no brainer, cause it doesn’t fit in HIS 2 saw plan by the sounds of things.

Thanks for the replies.

The reason for the 2260 was that it weighs about the same as the 5105 and handles better, and ported it runs close to the 372 stock at much less weight. The 2260 also gets me in the small mount which makes the bar lighter than the large bar mount.

I consider my dolmars to be great saws, but very heavy in their classes.

If the 421 was the small husky bar mount I would be all over it. The 550 just seemed to be a couple pounds heavier than the 490, and if I am only cutting small stuff under 12 inches in diameter I thought I may not miss the extra power for the less weight when hiking through tough brush, blazing trail. It is also compatible with the small mount husky bars

If it were my choice I'd wait till the slow season and send that 5105 off to get ported. Then I'd sell the little Stihl. Of course I'd want to have a pretty good Dolmar dealer around.

I do not have a dealer around me. The guys on here give us good prices and I usually do the work.

Sell all but the 5105 and port it? It has a 5100 muffler already and the top end is in great shape. Could it run a 24 skip tooth?

If you are only cutting 20 hours a year there is certainly no need for anything more than a 2 saw plan.

I'd grab an Echo CS-590 off Ebay. They typically come with a 20" bar. Obtain a 24" bar for it if/when you get into some big stuff.

Pick up a small saw for the light work. An Echo CS-370 or 400 fits the bill nicely there. A 14" bar with 3/8" LP will be plenty.

I have at least a dozen saws, most are listed in the signature, but my CS-590 is the "go-to" saw these days for any heavy work, and the CS-370 for limbing. I do fill in on occasion with my CS-510, but all the other saws have been drained and put in storage. I'd rather beat up these cheap Echo saws and consider them disposal units. I have nearly a zillion hours on the CS-370 and getting close to that on the CS-590 and they have been FLAWLESS from day one. They are stock with muffler mods and limiter caps removed before there had the first tank of fuel put in them.

I've had a few CS-490's up here to set up for friends and they are pretty weak and one would never be anyplace on my 2 or 3 saw plan......FWIW......Cliff

Thanks guys!

I like the 590 recommendation, but for about a pound less and significantly more power the ported 2260 would steal it's lunch and it's girlfriend. If a 60cc saw is going to be my big saw, I think I should be the best and most reliable saw I can find in the class. I know it will cost more, but going from 3 to 2 saws will be a savings already.

As for the small saw, the 370 and 400 are basically the same as my 181, which does indeed work well with the small bars. However, they also weight almost the exact same as the 501p or the 490. For the weight the 501 with a muffler mod and retune would have ~50% more power than those smaller saws, and the same bar mount capability as the 2260.

I would be able to share all 16-24" bar on either saw without issue, as long as the 501p only had the 20-24" bars for added reach on little stuff.

I would be looking at:
- Echo 501p - 50cc, 10.4lbs, 3-3.5hp, cutting 2-12" wood, small mount husky compatible (minor mods) - $350 or so with 20% off
- Jonsered 2260 ported - 60cc, 12.4lbs, 5+hp, cutting 12"+ wood, small mount husky compatible - $600-700 lightly used?

Are there any saws out there that beat this horsepower to weight ratio? In the 10lb and 12lb ranges?

You guys rock, thanks again for all the feedback.

Ms261 or 550xp. 4hp or 3.75hp. And they RIP! The power of your 5105 with better handling. I have run a 550, but not a 261. The 550 is damn near a miracle of handling. I like the Jonsered handlebar better though (but haven’t tried a 2253).It’s just a preference thing.

Don’t be fooled. If you want a hot 50cc saw, the Echo won’t be it. Workmanlike, yes. Snappy, quick and revvy, no.

That cs590 is a good, workmanlike saw. Good to have around. And inexpensive.

The 501p massaged by the right guy could be a great option, idk. Even Cliff, an Echo afficianado doesn’t necessarily recommend the 490, which is almost the same saw. I’ve never run either the 490 or 501, so take it for what it’s worth; nothing.

If your 7910 is solid then keep it. You will be sorely disappointed if you think the 2260 will be anywhere near that Dolmar in power. Not even close.

Buy the wickedest little saw. Which happens to be the 550xp at this point, imo. Lightning acceleration, smooth, light, handles like a Husky AND powerful. Or the ms261.. you won’t notice the weight vs the 501p, you WILL notice the benefits of porting for snap and power.

The 550 will fall flat on its face if you don’t keep it rippin. I doubt the Ms261 will be quite as sensitive that way. Probably more like the 5105.

The 5105 is a great saw, but a bit of a fat pig relative to the 50cc pro Husky and Stihl. It’s not even the weight, it’s the easily perceptible roll resistance when limbing. I noticed that with mine within about 10seconds the first time I ran it. I am used to it now. The motor is so nice I can forgive the handling somewhat. But, quite honestly it is a poor handling limbing saw relative to a 550xp. Night and day.

I didn't realize the redmax gz5000 was the new jred. Same exact saw?

Maybe a ported redmax gz5000 and my ported 7910 as a two saw setup? That would cover me from 16" to 32" bars. Two different mounts though. 16 and 20 for the redmax, and 24 and 32 for the dolmar?

Any guys on here selling and porting the redmax?

maybe a lightly used, lightly ported 550 or 2253 from a major builder?

What do you think the cost might be?

maybe a lightly used, lightly ported 550 from a major builder?

What do you think the cost might be?

Should be able to get into a ported 346 or 550 for $5-600. I haven't spent much time with a 550, but I have a Husky 350 with a ported 346ne top end. That one is a keeper! I have an 18" bar on it and it's got no hesitation about having that bar buried in oak. Also it's super light weight and handles really nicely.

Back