3 Tree Fertilization Techniques_article

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would this make sense to your average homeowner?

• Yes, it makes total sense.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Some parts are a little confusing

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, it makes no sense

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arborscape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
3 Tree Fertilization Techniques

Landscape and urban trees typically grow in soils that do not contain sufficient elements due to disruption of the nutrient cycle by pavement, buildings and roads. Also, leaves, the driver of the nutrient cycle, are raked up before decomposing and micro-organism's can't break stuff down.

The key to tree fertilization is distributing the right amount of nutrients at the right time. Macro-nutrients are nutrients that trees need the most and is
frequently deficient in a tree. Signs are reduced growth, smaller leaves and the yellowing of leaves. Secondary nutrients or nutrients needed in moderate amounts include phosphorus, potassium and sulfur. Micronutrients are nutrients that trees need in small amounts.

Many times it can be hard to tell what nutrient is deficient as the symptoms may overlap. However, it is worth finding as you may be wasting fertilizer on a tree that needs something different. If you see leaf discoloration or other unhealthy signs on the bark, test the tree to get an idea of what might be missing.

Tree fertilization application techniques vary based on the foliage, tree condition, the time of year and your preference for using "greener" techniques.

1. Surface Application

The fertilizer is broadcast over the ground surface using a spreader. The advantage is it's ease, with very little special equipment required. The disadvantage is lots of residual chemicals on your
lawn.

2. Sub-surface Application

Sub-surface fertilization techniques are necessary when a tree is surrounded by turf grass or to limit chemical exposure. Turf grass absorbs nutrients more readily than tree root systems so the fertilizer must be applied below turf level. Subsurface fertilization techniques are also necessary where runoff water is common. Two common techniques are drill hole
and injection.

The drill hole method involves drilling holes around the tree in concentric circles. Holes should extend to the drip line. This allows you to put fertilizer deep enough that turf grass won't reach it but shallow enough so it doesn't leach (drain away) especially during the rainy months of spring.

Liquid injection uses fertilizer, dissolved or suspended in water. The solution is injected into the soil using a soil injection system. Advantages are better distribution and the benefit of adding water directly into the root zone.
A disadvantage is liquid injection can create dark, vigorous patches of grass. I sometimes recommend a lawn aeration and fertilization in conjunction with a liquid injection fertilization to combat that.

3. Foliar Application and Tree Injection

This involves spraying everything with FDA approved chemicals. Which is OK, as long as we remember that DDT was a federally approved chemical at one point! Foliar application is a short term fix to correct minor elemental deficiencies of micro nutrients. Typically spraying the leaves works best in spring, right before a period of active growth.

Implants and injections are for minor nutrient deficiencies. Tree implants and injections provide a systemic application and can be combined with insect control. The main advantage is that it completely eliminates any residue outside of the tree. However, because it involves creating holes in the tree it is limited to a once a year process and trees have to be
large enough to handle it. I always look to see if a tree is water stressed before doing this.

Finally, trees may not require additional fertilization at all. Over fertilization can burn out leaves or cause a tree to grow too quickly resulting in frequent pruning or removal. In Denver or other dry climates, homeowners may fertilize
a tree that actually just needs a deep root watering.

About the author. David Merriman owns ArborScape, a tree service in Denver, CO
He is an ISA Certified Arborist and writes articles about lawn care and tree care.

Looks pretty straightforward. The only thing I would change is the part about FDA approved chemicals. They don't govern pesticides or fertilizers. Pesticides are registered with US EPA and fertilizer isn't governed that I'm aware of. FDA only deals with stuff for human consumption.

Reads pretty good. But:

Step #1 in any fert program is a soils analysis. You can't know where you're going unless you know where you're at.

I sometimes recommend a lawn aeration and fertilization in conjunction with a liquid injection fertilization to combat that.

Good point. Got to get the sequencing right though, I've done injection fertilizing of trees just after the Lawn Company has been through doing core aeration. Fabulous display of expensive little geysers. :)

RedlineIt

3 Tree Fertilization Techniques

Landscape and urban trees typically grow in soils that do not contain sufficient elements due to disruption of the nutrient cycle by pavement, buildings and roads. Also, leaves, the driver of the nutrient cycle, are raked up before decomposing and micro-organism's can't break stuff down.

The key to tree fertilization is distributing the right amount of nutrients at the right time. Macro-nutrients are nutrients that trees need the most and is
frequently deficient in a tree. Signs are reduced growth, smaller leaves and the yellowing of leaves. Secondary nutrients or nutrients needed in moderate amounts include phosphorus, potassium and sulfur. Micronutrients are nutrients that trees need in small amounts.

Many times it can be hard to tell what nutrient is deficient as the symptoms may overlap. However, it is worth finding as you may be wasting fertilizer on a tree that needs something different. If you see leaf discoloration or other unhealthy signs on the bark, test the tree to get an idea of what might be missing.

Tree fertilization application techniques vary based on the foliage, tree condition, the time of year and your preference for using "greener" techniques.

1. Surface Application

The fertilizer is broadcast over the ground surface using a spreader. The advantage is it's ease, with very little special equipment required. The disadvantage is lots of residual chemicals on your
lawn.

2. Sub-surface Application

Sub-surface fertilization techniques are necessary when a tree is surrounded by turf grass or to limit chemical exposure. Turf grass absorbs nutrients more readily than tree root systems so the fertilizer must be applied below turf level. Subsurface fertilization techniques are also necessary where runoff water is common. Two common techniques are drill hole
and injection.

The drill hole method involves drilling holes around the tree in concentric circles. Holes should extend to the drip line. This allows you to put fertilizer deep enough that turf grass won't reach it but shallow enough so it doesn't leach (drain away) especially during the rainy months of spring.

Liquid injection uses fertilizer, dissolved or suspended in water. The solution is injected into the soil using a soil injection system. Advantages are better distribution and the benefit of adding water directly into the root zone.
A disadvantage is liquid injection can create dark, vigorous patches of grass. I sometimes recommend a lawn aeration and fertilization in conjunction with a liquid injection fertilization to combat that.

3. Foliar Application and Tree Injection

This involves spraying everything with FDA approved chemicals. Which is OK, as long as we remember that DDT was a federally approved chemical at one point! Foliar application is a short term fix to correct minor elemental deficiencies of micro nutrients. Typically spraying the leaves works best in spring, right before a period of active growth.

Implants and injections are for minor nutrient deficiencies. Tree implants and injections provide a systemic application and can be combined with insect control. The main advantage is that it completely eliminates any residue outside of the tree. However, because it involves creating holes in the tree it is limited to a once a year process and trees have to be
large enough to handle it. I always look to see if a tree is water stressed before doing this.

Finally, trees may not require additional fertilization at all. Over fertilization can burn out leaves or cause a tree to grow too quickly resulting in frequent pruning or removal. In Denver or other dry climates, homeowners may fertilize
a tree that actually just needs a deep root watering.

About the author. David Merriman owns ArborScape, a tree service in Denver, CO
He is an ISA Certified Arborist and writes articles about lawn care and tree care.
is this a hand out for the home owner? ill vote in a lil while:)

Maybe I have better reading comprehension than the average homeowner, but I clicked on complete sense. As for those that don't understand it, they would do better to contract for tree care.

One question. I have had bad luck trying to establish I think it was Caahan Firs along my driveway. They look like Frasier Firs, but are susposed to endure clay soil and hot, dry weather better. I have had a number struggle a few years and die. When I dug them out, they didn't have much more in the way of roots than the seedlings I planted. Most of them are about 4'-5' now. Should I assume the ones that have survived, that the roots have grown out to the ends of the bottom branches, and water and fertilize there?

Maybe I have better reading comprehension than the average homeowner, but I clicked on complete sense. As for those that don't understand it, they would do better to contract for tree care.

One question. I have had bad luck trying to establish I think it was Caahan Firs along my driveway. They look like Frasier Firs, but are susposed to endure clay soil and hot, dry weather better. I have had a number struggle a few years and die. When I dug them out, they didn't have much more in the way of roots than the seedlings I planted. Most of them are about 4'-5' now. Should I assume the ones that have survived, that the roots have grown out to the ends of the bottom branches, and water and fertilize there?
have you already used fert?

i have voted no on the poll. imo the avarage h.o. has no clue about tree health care,tree nutrition,or tree fertilization. its also sad but true that most tree cutting co's in my area have very little or no knowlage of t.h.c,fert,or nutrition.

I have tried punching holes around the end of outer branches. I don't know if you call tha the drip line on firs or not.
hmmm, maby the fert has aided in the death of a few of your trees

RE: Soil analysis is first

Reads pretty good. But:

Step #1 in any fert program is a soils analysis. You can't know where you're going unless you know where you're at.

Good point. Got to get the sequencing right though, I've done injection fertilizing of trees just after the Lawn Company has been through doing core aeration. Fabulous display of expensive little geysers. :)

RedlineIt

Yes, I'll look at that. Thanks.

Re: Fda

Looks pretty straightforward. The only thing I would change is the part about FDA approved chemicals. They don't govern pesticides or fertilizers. Pesticides are registered with US EPA and fertilizer isn't governed that I'm aware of. FDA only deals with stuff for human consumption.

Yeah, that sounds right. I'm just going to get rid of that part. thanks

This article is well written, and easily understood. Unfortunately, it is filled with biased mis-information and clearly was intended to sell expensive tree fertilization methods.

An example: what part of spraying fertilizers wouldn't leave those unsavory chemical all over the lawn surface, just like method #1?

I could go on, put it would be pointless.

This article is well written, and easily understood. Unfortunately, it is filled with biased mis-information and clearly was intended to sell expensive tree fertilization methods.

An example: what part of spraying fertilizers wouldn't leave those unsavory chemical all over the lawn surface, just like method #1?

i like the old fashioned way, manual style.

It makes sence to me and most here but to the average home-owner I will say no. I have found on average (atleast where I live) most people couldnt care less about fert for trees, unless it's christmas tree farmers. But remember I am in a very rural area. But to the more educated customer this is perfect as they are smart enough to understand it.

I read this and believe it as an interesting start.

Pqdl and Treeco. Could I encourgae either or both of you to suggest a basic regimen for tree fertilization that less experienced arborists like myself could use or recommend??

I have discussed this concept on other forums and the stumbling block is usually soil testing. Accurate soils testing costs money the avaerage HO is unwilling to spend where I work. Have you alternatives ....?

I always have and always will used timed release fertilizer it has far less environmental impact, as does injection of pesticide/insecticide.

I always have and always will used timed release fertilizer it has far less environmental impact, as does injection of pesticide/insecticide.

I cut my teeth coming up through Bartlett Tree so naturally this is the type of fertilization I was accustomed to. It's too much $$ for some companies to let go of. We all grow and learn new aspects of our industry. If not you become stagnant and do more harm than good.

Many fertilizer regimens push top growth at the expense of root development (the bags of macros sold by sponsor's of this site) making plants vulnerable to stressful environments. Frequent, high levels of fertilizer can produce an unbalanced and often unsustainable shoot-to-root ratio. The P disrupts the alliance between the fine root hairs and Mycorrhizae. Mycorrhizae on the other hand, feed plants and stimulate root growth.

Your method has its place but by and large it would be better to research a more sustainable fertilization practice for your clients trees. :)

Back