30 or 36 inch granberg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
Well its time for me to step up in milling. I have the little homeowner granberg mill and now want to get something bigger. Im just not sure if I would even need a 32 inch cut going with the 36. Most of the tree's I will be milling are 12 to 26 inch dia. There could be a couple of times I would need a 32 but is it worth the extra weight and bar lenght. Was also wondering with the 30 inch granberg if I would need a aux oiler. Anyway how many of you that have the 36 inch granberg need the extra lenght.

Well, you might think you dont need the extra length now, but if you run into a tree where you do, youll kick yourself for not getting the 36". You can adjust the 36" down to whatever bar length you need.

As for the extra oiler, I've been milling with my 36 inch without it, and so far no problems. Most of the time I'm milling less than 24 inches though. I turn the oiler in my 395XP as high as it goes, and it seems to keep up. I agree with Casey, for the few dollars more the 36" costs, you'll kick yourself that day you score a real wide piece and wish you had. Which one of those saws if any in your list there were you planning on running that csm with?

Iv'e got the 36" mill. Right now I'm running it with a 32" bar.
I don't think you will notice a significant weight difference.
If you ever come across a large burl or the illusive 36 inch log it will be well worth it.
You could run as small as a 24 inch bar on the 36 inch mill.
The best price I have found for Granberg products ishttp://www.toolcenter.com/sawmill/index.html
They have the lowest prices and they have free shipping in the lower 48.
Good luck with your project.

bookerdog said:
Was also wondering with the 30 inch granberg if I would need a aux oiler. .

I run my 41" with out aux. oil and the bar gets no hotter than usual. Just crank the primary oiler wide open and you'll be OK. IMO you shoudn't need aux. oil in green wood for anything less than a 60" bar but I'm sure some will disagree. It doesn't hurt to have one but it's one more thing you have to mess with.

Have you looked into the GB mills? I only handled a granberg once and didn't run it but the GB is a more solid setup in my opinion. Costs about the same too. Also, the GB's frame and rails are sold separately. I use the same rails for my 41" and 72" bar and plan to buy shorter rails for my 28" bar if the need comes up. I think granberg is capable of this too but I'm not sure.

Just an FYI
I've got the new Stihl MS650 and the oiler is cranked wide open and it is not adequate for milling. (I believe it is because of the new EPA oiler requirements)
For the price of a milling chain and possibly a bar, the cost of the aux oiler and extra oil, in my opion is worth it.
OK 4 cents worth
If 2 is good 4 is better.:monkey:

saws

woodshop said:
As for the extra oiler, I've been milling with my 36 inch without it, and so far no problems. Most of the time I'm milling less than 24 inches though. I turn the oiler in my 395XP as high as it goes, and it seems to keep up. I agree with Casey, for the few dollars more the 36" costs, you'll kick yourself that day you score a real wide piece and wish you had. Which one of those saws if any in your list there were you planning on running that csm with?
Woodshop my new 3120 should be here by friday. Found a great deal on one IMO 999.00 PWR head only.

bookerdog said:
Woodshop my new 3120 should be here by friday. Found a great deal on one IMO 999.00 PWR head only.
There ya go... good deal. That's only $150 more than I paid for the 395 to my door. Keep us posted on how well it does. What size bar you planning on putting on it first?

bar

woodshop said:
There ya go... good deal. That's only $150 more than I paid for the 395 to my door. Keep us posted on how well it does. What size bar you planning on putting on it first?
Well I have a 30 and a 32 already so going to use those and run about 5 tanks through it cutting firewood. Will then mill with it.

bar

woodshop said:
Well I have a 30 and a 32 already so going to use those and run about 5 tanks through it cutting firewood. Will then mill with it.

smithie55 said:
Just an FYI
I've got the new Stihl MS650 and the oiler is cranked wide open and it is not adequate for milling. (I believe it is because of the new EPA oiler requirements)
For the price of a milling chain and possibly a bar, the cost of the aux oiler and extra oil, in my opion is worth it.
OK 4 cents worth
If 2 is good 4 is better.:monkey:

Good point. I use older saws 90% of the time. If you cut with mine for a couple of hours your pants will be covered in oil. I think I remember reading about how you can mod your oiler to increase the output on the chainsaw forum.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Have you looked into the GB mills? I only handled a granberg once and didn't run it but the GB is a more solid setup in my opinion. Costs about the same too. Also, the GB's frame and rails are sold separately. I use the same rails for my 41" and 72" bar and plan to buy shorter rails for my 28" bar if the need comes up. I think granberg is capable of this too but I'm not sure.

I've looked around for GB mills, but I can't seem to find them down under. Lots of stores can get Granbergs in.

Funny that, GB being from around here and all....

Back