3120xp Coil Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWoodDr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning,

I need some help with my 3120xp coil. I'm building a log home and use the saw on a mill. Lately, I have had some trouble getting the saw to start, and also "sputtering" when it gets warm, and eventually dying while idling like its starving for fuel (although it ran good at WOT while milling). I replaced the plug, and the same thing happened so I checked for spark and it did have spark but now I can't even get the saw to start. In researching this, I found that this is usually a sign of a bad coil.

This particular saw did have the coil replaced once before, but I'm pretty sure it was the wrong one because the timing was off and it would yank the handle out of your hand when trying to start it. So when I bought the saw, I changed out that coil back to the black 3-prong style I got from an old blown up saw my neighbor had and the saw ran great (timing back in order).

The serial of the saw is 956 07-00 (02 2400024).
The serial of the flywheel is 5018950-01
The model/serial of the coil I had on there was SEM AM 37C (009 203 09).

I was looking to order a new coil online but cannot find another SEM AM 37C anywhere. So my question is, is there a compatible replacement for this that will not have timing issues?
I'm not overly concerned about the unlimited vs. limited at this point. I'm just trying to find something quickly as I am nearing completion of my house and only have a few logs left to mill and production is now at a stand still until I get this sorted out.

Thanks in advance!

So I spent the morning fiddling around with and determined the wire that connects to the actual coil inside the plug boot was not connected good enough. Explains why sometimes I had spark and sometimes not! Anyway, I fixed it up and now shes running top notch again!

Thanks a bunch for the info Mr. Donato, if it does fail in the future, I'll know where to get parts!

Latest posts

Back