346XP needs replaced....it's at 90 PSI, what saw is comparable today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the 5100 S. But it was always over 50cc. They slowed it down because of piston and bottom end failures from running too hot
5100s was discontined June 1st 2009 and was replaced with the 5105SC for 9 months then it was replaced with the 5105C March 1st of 2010. I've got one 5100S, five 5105SC and one 5105C The 5105C is the only one that has been cranked and used the other 6 are still new in their boxes and have never been cranked. I ran 93 octane ethanol free with Maxima full synthetic at 32 to 1 and never had any over heating or scoring. My first 5100S went back to Hamburg in 2010 for a tare down and analysis and they sent me a new 5105SC.

5100s was discontined June 1st 2009 and was replaced with the 5105SC for 9 months then it was replaced with the 5105C March 1st of 2010. I've got one 5100S, five 5105SC and one 5105C The 5105C is the only one that has been cranked and used the other 6 are still new in their boxes and have never been cranked.
The C…is that for Cat? That would definitely have been EPA motivated.

Nice collection

Hey OP, take a picture of the end of the tube that goes in the spark plug hole. It should have a shrader valve in it. A 2 stroke tends to stop running around the 120psi so I’m surprised yours is reading 90. If it’s not scored or damaged I’d suggest your compression tester is not for small engines.

Nice collection
All I know and can recall. Is local bought one of those 5105 and pulled that muffler off and put a 5100 muffler on it so run like it should.

Something there holding was holding back.

Went back and read old thread. He said CAT in his 5105 muffler.

Nice collection

I cringe when I see someone start a saw and instantly rev it. Granted, the monkey man making the video could have warmed it up prior to filming, and I sure hope he did, but it is not the first video of his I've seen where this happens. Hope he leaves the warmup off-camera. For the sake of the saws.
Hey Nate, Mastermind (Randy Evans)is probably the best when it come to chainsaw porting.

I cringe when I see someone start a saw and instantly rev it. Granted, the monkey man making the video could have warmed it up prior to filming, and I sure hope he did, but it is not the first video of his I've seen where this happens. Hope he leaves the warmup off-camera. For the sake of the saws.
I have seen many guys do this and it doesn't seem to bother the saw at all.

All I know and can recall. Is local bought one of those 5105 and pulled that muffler off and put a 5100 muffler on it so run like it should.

Something there holding was holding back.

Went back and read old thread. He said CAT in his 5105 muffler.
That 5100 non cat muffler 181-174-201 reduces the engine temp about 15 degrees. I did a muffler mod a while back. I cut 2 gills just above the crimped ridges right above the two mounting holes to let her breathe better and to tell you the truth there is not much inside as far as baffles go.

To add to that post...economics of wood burning....

I love cutting, splitting, and carrying wood almost as much as burning it. I like the workout, love the feel of popping open wood by hand when I split with a maul. I don't care if it saves money or not. I like being out there, in the woods or trails, whackin' away with a chainsaw. The smell of the oil/gas burnin', sawdust smell. All of it.

And most of all, for the wife, if I didn't cut wood how the hell would I justify the saws?
I think we all feel the same, at least I do. It's never a chore to run a saw and cut wood, more like therapy...... or am I just bonkers 😇

Back