357xp dead in the water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landfakers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
357XP with the HDA 199 carb I believe. Long story short, I was in a rush when I rebuilt the saw a few years back and ended up using the long screws in the bottom of the handle, which in turn ate two nice holes in my bar oil case. I have those “repaired” but now the saw is completely dead won’t even pop or cough. Definitely have gas in the cylinder and on the plug. Ive pulled the carb and cleaned it meticulously, pulled the fuel tank and put on a new filter and new lines, checked for spark and it’s very healthy. Not sure what else to do besides replace the carb? I know these are known to have issues and people have swapped over to a zama carb for reliability sake? Not sure what else to do, but gotta get my favorite saw back in action. Any other suggestions?

Could be low on compression and need a top end rebuild. That would be my first guess if the spark is there and the fuel is getting to the combustion chamber. I imagine a dozen replies will show up here in addition to mine.

Could be low on compression and need a top end rebuild. That would be my first guess if the spark is there and the fuel is getting to the combustion chamber. I imagine a dozen replies will show up here in addition to mine.
A possibility but this saw has a ton of compression, I didn’t put a gauge on it though so wouldn’t hurt to check. Saw has maybe 15 tanks a fuel on it after a completely new OEM top end

Only trouble with my 2 357 xp one of them would not run checked the usual suspects and still no go, took the side cover off the coil side and crap on and around coil, cleaned it up and has been fine ever since that was 3 years ago.

Only trouble with my 2 357 xp one of them would not run checked the usual suspects and still no go, took the side cover off the coil side and crap on and around coil, cleaned it up and has been fine ever since that was 3 years ago.
I'll give it a look but seemed like i had some nice spark when i popped the plug out and pulled it over.

Carburetors don't last forever. Try a new one because you have done about everything else. You have a real puzzler here. The fuel mixture reaching the combustion chamber has to be the problem but somebody else may yet have another suggestion. I'm losing hair scratching my head on this one. :crazy:

When my husky wouldn't start it was the flywheel key. I just rebuilt the say, vac test, new carb kit, swapped carbs still no go. I pulled my guts out. I had fuel, air and spark , lots of compression. Took the flywheel off and the flywheel itself has a key molded into the aluminum cast. Sure enough when I put it back together I had not lined it up properly and sheared it off. New flywheel and it fired right away.

Worth looking at.

Back for more, passed both vac and pressure tests, and compression came in at 170psi(this saw does have the base gasket deleted and has a squish of .018"). Im starting to think it must be an ignition issue, but weird to think that an ignition part could go bad just from sittin on the shelf. Saw ran perfectly when I discovered the oil leak and shelved it. Off to pull off the flywheel I guess

I had one the other day that turned out to only need a spark plug change. I took the new one out and installed a used one and it ran like new again!
Worth a shot, guess I never thought that might be the issue. Got a champion plug in it right now

Well, today I grabbed a new plug and put a K24 rebuild kit in the HDA199 and it fired up first pull…. Guess I should of tried one then the other to see what it was but back up and running. Seems to be running a little funny on the low end but didn’t have time to mess with the low speed setting. Has a definite bog off of idle and almost won’t run stumbling on its face from idle up through 1/2 throttle. It absolutely screams at 3/4- full throttle though so just need to monkey around with it. Love this saw

Latest posts

Back