35cc to 40cc Chainsaw Decision Available 2023

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I appreciate that Echo still sells old school saws. Non-strato, non-computerized. Parts are reasonable and easy to find online. The saws are easy to find locally.

Stihl 180, had one years ago. Worked fine with .043 3/8lp but wouldn’t handle .050 in Osage Orange. I never attempted any mods. I sold my Stihls due to parts/pricing.

Husqvarna 135 Mark II, 10.37 lb, $300, 2.1 hp, metal clam, strato, couldn’t find this local to handle it. Bomgaars shows it online but our Orschelns is just changing over. Maybe they will have it in the future. Seemed a little low on hp on paper vs weight. Not a fan of Husky stratos.

Husqvarna 435 or 440, plastic clam, strato, 2 strikes. 9.7 lb, 2.2/2.4 hp

Makita EA4300, 10.8 lb, 3hp, $400, discontinued, pro build, could buy online but couldn’t find local to hold it. A bit pricy and heavy. Parts can be a bit pricey on Makitas.

Echo CS-3510, 2 hp?, very light, 8.2 lb, $280, cheesy plastic build. Spring iso. Pull the throttle trigger and it pushes the handle away from the chassis. I assume they did this to keep WOT when the saw flexes. Metal clam

Echo CS-361P, hp?, 8.4 lb, $370, metal clam, couldn’t find local to handle. A bit high for a clam, so didn’t pursue.

Echo CS-400, 10.1 lb, $320, metal clam, couldn’t find published hp. 2.7? Paper filter, inertia brake, cat muffler, hi/lo adjustable carb, 3/8LP, rubber iso.

Out of class (Echo CS-4910-18), 3.3 hp?, 10.4 lb, $380, pro split case with bolt on cylinder. Handled the 3510, 400, and 4910 on the shelf at Orschelns/Bomgaars. The 4910 seemed just a bit heavier/bulkier than the 400. The 4910 has spring iso vs rubber on the 400. It was set up .325 vs 3/8LP on the 400. Inboard clutch on the 4910 but still have to pull a nut to change the rim. Outboard clutch with spur on the 400. The fuel tank on the 4910 seems like a kids toy, solid on the 400.

I picked the 400 up new for $250 and the 4910 would have been $370 with tax. My 1st Echo and my 2nd new saw. I wanted 3/8LP, it just seems to stay sharp longer than .325. I have a modified Husky 55/Partner5000, so I wasn’t looking to replace that. However, with the weight and hp of the 4910, I probably would have went that way if not for $. I’ll keep my eyes open for deals on the 4910 and might pick one up in the future for fun.

Warranty. Before I even started the 400, I removed the limiter caps and modded the muffler. I bought 2nd hand new so no warranty anyway. I sacrificed lifetime warranty on the coil which does matter to me. However, you have to take the saw to dealer for diagnosis to get coil warranty replacement. By the time you pay dealer fees, might as well buy the coil yourself if it hasn’t been discontinued. I’ve already ran into that with Echo on my Mantis tiller.

I'm happy with my CS 361P. Bought it about 6 yr ago when it first came out, before the price drop and before the 3510 was available. More compact and feels more solid than the 3510. Its been flawless so far.

I appreciate that Echo still sells old school saws. Non-strato, non-computerized.

Echo CS-3510, 2 hp?, very light, 8.2 lb,
The 3510 is a strato saw.

Did you buy an Echo cs400 like written in the last text block in post 1?

The Makita 3601 is a dual reed strato saw but has no pockets in the sides of the piston.

Do you care about inboard vs outboard clutch or the ability to get into a rim drive?

You put 35 to 40cc in the title but then list Makits 4300 which would bring in a bunch of 45cc saws to think about.

I go out and play Echo 361p vs Makita 3601. One is as advanced an open port design as I know of and the other is also a rather advanced design with the muffler in the conventional place.

The Stihl HT250 is a 40cc open port pole saw with available 6 and 7 tooth sprockets in 3/8lp, their picco 61 or 63 class. I got one of those as I noticed the same shape things like trimmers seem to be strato now. Trimmer heads economy import that may not last too long are quite inexpensibe, and a hoop handle is plentiful used.

The 3510 is a strato saw.

Did you buy an Echo cs400 like written in the last text block in post 1?

The Makita 3601 is a dual reed strato saw but has no pockets in the sides of the piston.

Do you care about inboard vs outboard clutch or the ability to get into a rim drive?

You put 35 to 40cc in the title but then list Makits 4300 which would bring in a bunch of 45cc saws to think about.

I go out and play Echo 361p vs Makita 3601. One is as advanced an open port design as I know of and the other is also a rather advanced design with the muffler in the conventional place.

The Stihl HT250 is a 40cc open port pole saw with available 6 and 7 tooth sprockets in 3/8lp, their picco 61 or 63 class. I got one of those as I noticed the same shape things like trimmers seem to be strato now. Trimmer heads economy import that may not last too long are quite inexpensibe, and a hoop handle is plentiful used.
I bought the CS-400 and already modded the muffler & carb limiters. I haven't cut anything yet. Rim drive would be nice. I wish I could find a mini-bore drum to run on it because I have plenty of Stihl P7 rims. I don't think Oregon makes a 3/8 LP rim. I have a thread here with specs on many different rims. I'm keeping a look out for a CS-4910, but really don't need it, just CAD, and yes, it's out of the CC range desired. Inboard clutch is nice if you just remove a clip to change the rim. If I have to use an impact wrench to change the rim, then it doesn't matter to me if the clutch is inboard or outboard.

This is like a what saw to get after getting one.

I have seen one of those at Home Depot and was at a work party where someone had a new one. The CS361 has a catalyst that hopefully makes it quieter, it also has double D type carb screws so no limiters.
. This section of the site seems to be a support group for muffler modifying. I believe the Echo cs400 has a cylinder-shaped pleated air filter and an inboard clutch. It does make a difference mounting up bar/chain combinations where the sprocket is close to the bar tail. The inboard clutch can work with a tighter fitting loop. There is also the getting stuck difference. If you have CAD are you really going to use the stock bar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295247339246?epid=25012044521&hash=item44be1cdeee:g:ivYAAOSwyuhjNzaf&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoO4vwb5NNqXOIDQ+LD5zxC6WRoJUEPFqm8BDwc3Q3YtyOcJ32XB+eizqzNb6hh7ZtJq0iImfuksaU1UoZDAWG6E+Hzu7/u2RNQSw2N+K/LHgjZMsmZHI8JZom4A6A8ABeMC+lKfCsmQHKImdKhm8mj7gnExA3G1JQFnm3NulHMJ185dcTs/tuvvm62RtaW+xYiJaq6DnJH0z3aW0duU/upk=|tkp:Bk9SR-ijj-u0YQ

This appears to be a rim drive set up, you can use .325 and 1/4 rims that fit the chain as intended,

If you want a rim drive picco buy a Stihl. I don't think the Stihl outboard clutch like the top handle configuration have a rim drive choice they do have a few spur type drums for them though.

This is like a what saw to get after getting one.

I have seen one of those at Home Depot and was at a work party where someone had a new one. The CS361 has a catalyst that hopefully makes it quieter, it also has double D type carb screws so no limiters.
. This section of the site seems to be a support group for muffler modifying. I believe the Echo cs400 has a cylinder-shaped pleated air filter and an inboard clutch. It does make a difference mounting up bar/chain combinations where the sprocket is close to the bar tail. The inboard clutch can work with a tighter fitting loop. There is also the getting stuck difference. If you have CAD are you really going to use the stock bar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295247339246?epid=25012044521&hash=item44be1cdeee:g:ivYAAOSwyuhjNzaf&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoO4vwb5NNqXOIDQ+LD5zxC6WRoJUEPFqm8BDwc3Q3YtyOcJ32XB+eizqzNb6hh7ZtJq0iImfuksaU1UoZDAWG6E+Hzu7/u2RNQSw2N+K/LHgjZMsmZHI8JZom4A6A8ABeMC+lKfCsmQHKImdKhm8mj7gnExA3G1JQFnm3NulHMJ185dcTs/tuvvm62RtaW+xYiJaq6DnJH0z3aW0duU/upk=|tkp:Bk9SR-ijj-u0YQ

This appears to be a rim drive set up, you can use .325 and 1/4 rims that fit the chain as intended, If you want a rim drive picco buy a Stihl.
Yes, I'll use the stock bar and I prefer 3/8 LP. Yes, I realize P7 is a Stihl mini bore product.

I appreciate that Echo still sells old school saws. Non-strato, non-computerized. Parts are reasonable and easy to find online. The saws are easy to find locally.

Stihl 180, had one years ago. Worked fine with .043 3/8lp but wouldn’t handle .050 in Osage Orange. I never attempted any mods. I sold my Stihls due to parts/pricing.

Husqvarna 135 Mark II, 10.37 lb, $300, 2.1 hp, metal clam, strato, couldn’t find this local to handle it. Bomgaars shows it online but our Orschelns is just changing over. Maybe they will have it in the future. Seemed a little low on hp on paper vs weight. Not a fan of Husky stratos.

Husqvarna 435 or 440, plastic clam, strato, 2 strikes. 9.7 lb, 2.2/2.4 hp

Makita EA4300, 10.8 lb, 3hp, $400, discontinued, pro build, could buy online but couldn’t find local to hold it. A bit pricy and heavy. Parts can be a bit pricey on Makitas.

Echo CS-3510, 2 hp?, very light, 8.2 lb, $280, cheesy plastic build. Spring iso. Pull the throttle trigger and it pushes the handle away from the chassis. I assume they did this to keep WOT when the saw flexes. Metal clam

Echo CS-361P, hp?, 8.4 lb, $370, metal clam, couldn’t find local to handle. A bit high for a clam, so didn’t pursue.

Echo CS-400, 10.1 lb, $320, metal clam, couldn’t find published hp. 2.7? Paper filter, inertia brake, cat muffler, hi/lo adjustable carb, 3/8LP, rubber iso.

Out of class (Echo CS-4910-18), 3.3 hp?, 10.4 lb, $380, pro split case with bolt on cylinder. Handled the 3510, 400, and 4910 on the shelf at Orschelns/Bomgaars. The 4910 seemed just a bit heavier/bulkier than the 400. The 4910 has spring iso vs rubber on the 400. It was set up .325 vs 3/8LP on the 400. Inboard clutch on the 4910 but still have to pull a nut to change the rim. Outboard clutch with spur on the 400. The fuel tank on the 4910 seems like a kids toy, solid on the 400.

I picked the 400 up new for $250 and the 4910 would have been $370 with tax. My 1st Echo and my 2nd new saw. I wanted 3/8LP, it just seems to stay sharp longer than .325. I have a modified Husky 55/Partner5000, so I wasn’t looking to replace that. However, with the weight and hp of the 4910, I probably would have went that way if not for $. I’ll keep my eyes open for deals on the 4910 and might pick one up in the future for fun.

Warranty. Before I even started the 400, I removed the limiter caps and modded the muffler. I bought 2nd hand new so no warranty anyway. I sacrificed lifetime warranty on the coil which does matter to me. However, you have to take the saw to dealer for diagnosis to get coil warranty replacement. By the time you pay dealer fees, might as well buy the coil yourself if it hasn’t been discontinued. I’ve already ran into that with Echo on my Mantis tiller.
I’m not sure why anyone would bother with a 35cc to 40cc saw when you can bump up to a 45cc Stihl ms250. The ms250/025 has a great power to weigh ratio and loads of interchangeable parts giving you ample options between 3/8lp and .325 pitch. Spur or rim sprocket. It’s been my experience that echo makes a nice saw but echo has the habit of not supporting there older saws when it comes to parts availability. Of course this is my own opinion!😀

Echo 390sx. Oh, wait, they won’t bring that one to North American market.
It’s on way out from the market. Japanese professional market went 5cc’s up and is now focusing on 40-50cc.
The 390 was in Europe as a niche product.
I’m sure there’s very few enthusiasts in US who’d be willing to pay 501s price for professional 38cc saw - MS 241s situation tells the same story.

I’m not sure why anyone would bother with a 35cc to 40cc saw when you can bump up to a 45cc Stihl ms250. The ms250/025 has a great power to weigh ratio and loads of interchangeable parts giving you ample options between 3/8lp and .325 pitch. Spur or rim sprocket. It’s been my experience that echo makes a nice saw but echo has the habit of not supporting there older saws when it comes to parts availability. Of course this is my own opinion!😀
The 3510 weights 8.2 lbs. The ms251 weights 11.0. I like lighter saws for limbing.

It’s on way out from the market. Japanese professional market went 5cc’s up and is now focusing on 40-50cc.
The 390 was in Europe as a niche product.
I’m sure there’s very few enthusiasts in US who’d be willing to pay 501s price for professional 38cc saw - MS 241s situation tells the same story.

I know at least one who would!

It’s funny how price is always the driver in this, even more than function. If am working predominantly in 2-8” wood, why would I care that a bigger saw costs the same or less? Wrong tool for the job.

I'm not a fan of the 250. I worked on one for a friend a few times. Every firewood season, same problem, wouldn't start. I finally took that possessed saw down to the frame and pressure tested it. No leaks. I pressure tested the carb, no leaks. It wasn't fun to work on. I rebuilt some Husky 50s and sold 1 to him. He gave away his 250 and now has a saw that starts when he needs it. I've had similar repair issues with the Husky 400 series stratos. The 2nd reason, I made a decision years ago to get rid of my Stihls due to chains, bars, and repair part costs. I have no spare bars for Stihl and few .063 chains. For the same cost, I would have tried the Echo CS-4910 with a pro build engine vs a clam on the Stihl 250.

Latest posts

Back