371XP Salvage Project - Is is wise to save with aftermarket parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got a chance to dive into the saws a little more last night. One saw came with no cylinder, the other had one, but the saw was shelved because it had locked up. I went ahead and ordered a piston and cylinder thinking they were needed. Well turns out the saw was locked up from a screw getting wedged between the flywheel and the case. The piston was rough, but I almost think the cylinder might be salvageable. Very new to this still, so I wanted some second opinions. 20210825_203739.jpg20210825_203553.jpg20210825_203652.jpg

When you head down the rebuild road be very mindful...it's really easy to get in way deep ($$$) if you want to stick all OEM parts. If you're keeping the saw for yourself well then my theory is Spend Away... I personally like knowing that I built a saw with good quality parts, and I will spend the extra on myself.

If you would want the option to sell later on and don't want to feel like you will loose your shirt than it's worth considering how much you will dump into the saw in parts, and as well (the theme of the thread) which would be OEM and which you can get away with AM. I think the most important aspect here is just being honest at time of sale what is what.

Bearings I wouldn't cheap out on... get the correct stuff or equivalent.
Cylinders & Pistons...There are some really good AM options, people shouldn't judge you necessarily for this, but with that being said the oem parts are usually the best quality
Rubbers, Intake boots, gaskets, etc... I would buy the OEM part. They are cheap generally, and of far better fit & quality
Rebuild the carb... $20, cheap, you're done
just about everything else can be found used somewhere, or new from Ebay...

Also found one of the cases cracked, no way to fix this right?
View attachment 926198

If you can find someone who can TIG weld magnesium than you have a shot.... but the success rate will be hit or miss. Otherwise that's a junk case IMHO unfortunately :(

I've used JB Weld to epoxy a certain number of pieces back together... but I think the amount of strain & force that that area sees I wouldn't roll the dice on JB Weld being reliable long-term.

@brad ruch can speak to the quality of aftermarket 372 cases.

Really it’s a crap shoot.I’ve had like one I believe that lasted in the tree service world.I’ve had cases not match up right causing oil leaks and have had one spin a bearing right in the case.I don’t mess with them Chinese things no more[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just grab a used case half off ebay.
That's my plan, I couldn't find any available right now. I'll keep an eye out. I Still have a good case to build one saw, going to focus on finishing that one, then look at building 371 #2.

I'm thinking it would be interesting to do one with the pop-up 52mm Nikasil Hyway top end and aftermarket parts, and do another with the saved OEM cylinder and Husky parts, see how they stack up.

Back