371xp throttle cable issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old CB

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
To begin with, a full trigger pull would only begin to open the throttle--too short of its intended distance. The trigger assembly felt wonky.

So now I have tank removed from saw, and trigger parts removed from tank. (It looks like a challenge to figure how the spring, the trigger and the long upper piece all fit back correctly.) I can't see any issue with the trigger or the upper plastic part.

I think my problem is the cable itself. At the carb end of the cable the vinyl sleeve is cut (revealing the cable inside) for about a half inch. The cable will travel inside the sleeve, but with some resistance. I'm thinking I probably need to replace it. Do I? (Moving the cable back and forth thru the sleeve will push the sleeve out of its captured position on the trigger.)

Also, any tips on how the various parts re-install in the tank handle?

I just went through this issue. If the cable is not seated in both the trigger and on the carb, it will not function properly. When it comes out of the handle assembly the plastic sheath must be snapped into the throttle and then pushed up into the holder on the carb. New oem cables are only about $15. I’ll see if I can find some pics

If it’s not seated or routed perfect the butterfly in the carb won’t open all wayBCDD9CC0-6AC2-48E8-A4D5-5FE29C3EA88F.jpeg

Pulling the trigger out is kind of tricky. Really won’t understand it until you do it.

Thanks much. I hope I can locate where the spring goes. The video makes it look easy ("5 minutes"). If I can do it all in 35 minutes I'll be happy.

So I just tried a dry run for next week when my new cable arrives. Where the Chainsaw Guy slides the spring into the handle, where it locates on the trigger is hidden inside the handle. I'm mystified as to where the spring end engages the trigger.

There’s a 372xp parts diagram on the web with a picture of the setup. I just had to do it and eventually it all made sense.

So I just tried a dry run for next week when my new cable arrives. Where the Chainsaw Guy slides the spring into the handle, where it locates on the trigger is hidden inside the handle. I'm mystified as to where the spring end engages the trigger.

It requires lots of f bombs. Keep at it till you get frustrated enough to walk away. Try a few more times and you'll wonder why it was ever so difficult.

A good set of forceps is vital.

Ive done quite a few of them, its kinda tricky and it helps a TON to have multiples of the same saw so you can look at a functioning one to see how everything works together. Also, when doing a part replacement for the first time its always wise to NOT take it apart until you have the replacement part in hand so its still fresh in your mind how it all goes. I ran one for almost a year once that had stretched out too much to open up the throttle. I put a tiny splitshot sinker on the cable below the factory knob lol.

I do have forceps, and I'm sure it will fall into place at some point.

Normally I'm hesitant to pull things apart without a clear view of how they mount, and a good plan for reassembly. But in this case, three parts living a hidden life inside the handle pretty much popped out when I drove out the pin keeping the trigger in place.

I do have a 372 (essentially the same saw), so I'll look for guidance inside its handle.

Thanks all. And thanks to Yota especially for the photo and video help.

Back