372 or 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously considering it just waiting on a few details $ to be ironed out, If I can get it around the $1200 mark with 28" B&C most likely the route/hole I will be headed down. Next decision is if trying to save 3% is worth having the wife know how much I am spending she controls the Paypal account or do I just put it on my CC and not tell her. :surprised3:
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.39.06 AM.png

I have to say I LOVE my 576. This saw is an absolute screaming banshee. There is nothing that has slowed this saw down. I have a 20 on it most of the time but pulled the 28" with no problem but I don't use it often.
Also you can use a skip chain for a longer bar and less drag on the saw.

Well guess the trees have changed a lot since the early 2000's.......When i cut at least 100 truck loads of oak with a 372xp 71cc and a 28 inch bar ? not an issue at all keeping the chain sharp......must be due too climate change.....and lack of water .. to needing a much larger saw ...... :surprised3:..

Well guess the trees have changed a lot since the early 2000's.......When i cut at least 100 truck loads of oak with a 372xp 71cc and a 28 inch bar ? not an issue at all keeping the chain sharp......must be due too climate change.....and lack of water .. to needing a much larger saw ...... :surprised3:..
I ran a 32" on my 372 most of the time, and I know of a 372 that's run a 32" since new, but everyone has their different opinions on what saw is best suited for bar length X.

I ran a 32" on my 372 most of the time, and I know of a 372 that's run a 32" since new, but everyone has their different opinions on what saw is best suited for bar length X.
agreed .....mine is the 75cc version it wears a 28 inch bar permanently ...i have a 20 inch for it and new chain still new in the box...if a am carrying a saw out even a 372..... it's for large wood ... or it's a much smaller saw..

Could be climate change, :laughing: I started mid 70s with a Stihl 041 and 16" B&C switched to the 266xP 16"when they first came out and finally to a 70cc Stihl running a 20" B&C finally quit logging around 2000, figuring 8cord avg 6 days a week makes about 48cords a week and 10 cords to the truck puts me just under 100 load in 2 wks. Now that I am old and retired and cantankerous now I just buy the TOY's that put a smile on my face and dont worry to much about why someone else does the things they do. I wheel a 3rd gen T4R, ride KTM 2strks but that does not stop me from wheelin with Jeeps or running single track with guys on Hondas and Yamaha's.

Dont let the screen name fool you. Its Iffy I am going fishing, dirt biking, 4 wheeling, cutting wood or just sitting in my chair scratching my and I am still a kid a heart.

Anyone familiar with PayPal Friends and Family? I told the wifey I needed her to do a PayPal friends and family for $1200 and she said she did not think it possible to go that high. We have only used PP once every year or two so not familiar with their limits and such. She did not even flinch when I mentioned dropping $1200 on a TOY saw so evidently, we have both mellowed with age or she has given up. :surprised3:

The PayPal F&F limit is $10k as far as I have read.
I think you can send large amounts that way, I’d try it and find out. If they’re asking $1580 for a 3120 and saying you should pay with F&F I’m guessing it’s okay.
Wife is as unsure as me she thought their might be like a business PP account or such, As I have said we only used PP a few times over the years and maybe $200 per purchase tops. Seller should know I would think seeing as he must be doing this all the time.

Thanks

Anyone familiar with PayPal Friends and Family? I told the wifey I needed her to do a PayPal friends and family for $1200 and she said she did not think it possible to go that high. We have only used PP once every year or two so not familiar with their limits and such. She did not even flinch when I mentioned dropping $1200 on a TOY saw so evidently, we have both mellowed with age or she has given up. :surprised3:
I just did a couple weeks ago. If your credit card is link to you PayPal, they will charge you a fee because it's like a cash advancement. At least mine did.

I just did a couple weeks ago. If your credit card is link to you PayPal, they will charge you a fee because it's like a cash advancement. At least mine did.
Our PP is linked to a bank account, Being the PP Ebay skeptics that we are I always keep just enough in the account to keep it open and then just deposit whatever amount we were going to spend on PP. Always figured that way neither PP nor Ebay sellers could ever access more than what we had transferred into the account, I think I may have also did it this way because I am a cheapskate(COB) and doing it this way PP could not charge me a CC processing fee which was the other option.

I think you can send large amounts that way, I’d try it and find out. If they’re asking $1580 for a 3120 and saying you should pay with F&F I’m guessing it’s okay.
Did you use the 3120 as an example or subliminal suggestion? :surprised3: I was thinking 592XP but if you think I need a 3120 and 28" B&C for firewood I might need to start rethinking my choices again.:laughing: I do have a Stihl 088 with 42"B&C for stumping on large tree removal jobs, Tipping the scales ready to rock I am thinking probably close to 30-35lbs so never considered it for cutting firewood, from time to time my wife suggests that I am no longer as young as I once was and in this instance I might have to agree with her.:eek:

Will the 372 pull a 24" the same as my 044s pulling a 20"? I have my doubts it will pull a 28" like my 044s pulling 20"
Will the 390 pull a 28" chain the same as my 044s pulling a 20"

Main usage would be bucking firewood 24-30" Red Oak, Anything smaller than 24" wood would most likely revert back to my 044s pulling 20" chain and 261s limbing and or smaller wood bucking.
The 044 and the 372 is about the same league.
Bucking 24-30"? You can do that with a 044/440, or a 372.
30" oak (?), Id say 660/661 or a Husky 390/395.

My ported OE and ported 75cc XPW pull about the same and will run a 36" respectfully buried in white oak. They normally wear 28" light bars. My ported 390 is basically a torquier, but not faster 372. My ported, not that it needed it, 395 is in a league of its own and runs damn near any length bar I car to put on it and is probably faster than either of the 372's. I am a 372 & 395 fan, not so much a 390 fan. I will say the 372's needed porting to cut like I wanted. But now they are a favorite. BTW 30" oak is good 850 Mac sized wood with a 32" bar. I like it over a 390 as well.

My ported OE and ported 75cc XPW pull about the same and will run a 36" respectfully buried in white oak. They normally wear 28" light bars. My ported 390 is basically a torquier, but not faster 372. My ported, not that it needed it, 395 is in a league of its own and runs damn near any length bar I car to put on it and is probably faster than either of the 372's. I am a 372 & 395 fan, not so much a 390 fan. I will say the 372's needed porting to cut like I wanted. But now they are a favorite. BTW 30" oak is good 850 Mac sized wood with a 32" bar. I like it over a 390 as well.
20220308_112045.jpgI have two 371's. I have one with what I call a mild port job, tighter squish, 7 tooth sprocket, and a 20" bar. The other has a bottem end port with about 12 degrees more blow down, Dominator piston, tighter squish, 8 tooth sprocket, 28" bar, and skip chain.
A mild port and tighter squish is good for about a horsepower, putting it equal with a 288 or a 390 a close to a 395 without extra 4lbs in powerhead, oil and fuel weight to carry around. I love how both.of them run.

20220304_151028.jpg

View attachment 984363I have two 371's. I have one with what I call a mild port job, tighter squish, 7 tooth sprocket, and a 20" bar. The other has a bottem end port with about 12 degrees more blow down, Dominator piston, tighter squish, 8 tooth sprocket, 28" bar, and skip chain.
A mild port and tighter squish is good for about a horsepower, putting it equal with a 288 or a 390 a close to a 395 without extra 4lbs in powerhead, oil and fuel weight to carry around. I love how both.of them run.

View attachment 984364
Sounds like a nice set of saws.

Looks like I will be placing my order for a 592XP shortly.

Latest posts

Back