372 or 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything in Minnesota or very cold north east is going to produce a totally different growth ring pattern and produce a very dense wood .
If you've never lived in a region that has a month of below -10° and a short summer your not going to get why he's hunt such a big saw for bucking firewood.

So, your heavy diesel engine pulling the mile long bar at a retarded rpm with authority or the lightweight two stroke 70cc ripping a shorter bar at a higher frequency?
Thats a skill and "how to" question yes?

And 13 feet is gonna take some patience - no matter what saw you have. You gonna do that 5-6 times on spruce log at 16" at a 13 feet lenght.
You're doing hard wood at a similar thicness thats gonna be a challange to your patience. The result will be worth it though.

And 13 feet is gonna take some patience - no matter what saw you have. You gonna do that 5-6 times on spruce log at 16" at a 13 feet lenght.
You're doing hard wood at a similar thicness thats gonna be a challange to your patience. The result will be worth it though.
And what exactly does that have to do with the thread topic 372 or 390? :laughing:

Finally had the opportunity to get the new saw out for a spin today, only had enough bigger wood to run one tank of gas but wowser that was fun while the wood lasted which did not take long. This thing is a tank and will only be used in bigger wood which I have more that needs to be pulled up but mainly cutting up Cherry and Elm right now.IMG_0005.jpg

Ideally what I am wanting is a saw pulling 28" chain the same or similar to my 70cc 044s pulling 20" chain
The 661 comes with a 28" bar as standard, good for more. 92cc does it for 28", 70-80cc is possible at 28" - but not really preferable now is it?

My ported 460 with 28" bar smokes a 661 hell the 038 I just built and ported will smoke a 661
38mm stroke and 54mm cylinder, versus 36/52... nah I dont think so. Especially at above 24"
You port till kingdom come, wont make it happen. Cheers
Yeah, and just imagine what you could do with that!

38mm stroke and 54mm cylinder, versus 36/52... nah I dont think so. Especially at above 24"
You port till kingdom come, wont make it happen. Cheers
Did it two weeks ago against a local arborist running a 661 in monkey puzzle tree cutting it into rounds...supposed to build something for him later this year.

Really? a 75cc with a 36" buried in oak?
Yup, in white oak. Both my Simonized OE 372 and my MMWS 372xpw pull that 36" just fine. You can't lean on them as hard as a stock 395, but if not heavy handed, the cut just as well. And they both oil that bar length no problem.

Did it two weeks ago against a local arborist running a 661 in monkey puzzle tree cutting it into rounds...supposed to build something for him later this year.
Post a video of your 46 versus the 66 real time at 28 inches of wood you get confirmation.

I think you and me might have a different understanding of "just fine".
Which was also one of the reasons in my OP that I said I did not like the way a 044 pulls a 24" chain and prefer the way it pulls a 20" chain, I did not say the 044 would not pull a 24"chain just that I do not like the way it pulls one, some but not all seemed to just skip over or not grasp that aspect of my question.

I love the way the new 592 pulls a buried 24" b&c in Oak so much that I might even try a 28" but maybe not have to see how it pulls in 20+" dry Elm first.

Also loved the way the new saw noodled big rounds, although I only did a few rounds the wide clutch cover appeared to clear noodles better than previous experiences with other saws.

My go to latly is the 372xpw
20220516_193619.jpg
20220516_193711.jpg
Its ported, if chain is sharp cuts remarkebly well in first and idaho pine usually wearing a 28 or 32 depending on the tree.

The 084 I let go weight penalty was to high and questionable if it cut faster or the same as the little saws in 40" and smaller wood.

Back