372XP X-torque release and information or opinions on other 70cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimbo3006

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So looking into 70cc class saws. I am looking used due to budget. I will not be using this professionally or making money from it so I just can't justify the price of a new one...:(

I have a line on a good-looking 372XP - Xtorque saw.. I have never run a Huskqvarna chainsaw but I have ran and do like some of their other lawn equipment
I have searched this pretty extensively here and other forums and seems the 372XP is a very highly regarded saw. I can find a lot of information and opinions about it, but most are for the original 372XP not the newer X-torque version. When did they change to the newer X-torque versions? Does anybody have experience with both the original 372XP and the X-torque? if so what are any of the differences you noticed?

On Paper the Strato engine seems like a good idea. I have read where several people mod the intake/carb to provide a fuel/air mix to the strato port for more lube.. meh..not sure I'd do that..seems like it would just dump raw fuel into the muffler and make a mess

I am also considering a Stihl ms440. They seem to be plentyful.

It seems that the Huskys have better AV and air filtration. Is the Stihl air filtration bad? or just Husq is better?
I would prefer a saw with more torque. seems general consensus was the ms440 had better torque than the original 372Xp but how about the newer X-torque version?
Probably run a 20-24 bar on it. nothing crazy. not many big trees here on the East coast...but there are some hard ones...

any other quirks or oddities that either brand has?

Dealer support is not an issue. have a dealer for both 5 minutes up the road. I am mechanically competent so I will do any work or repairs on it myself.

Either I end up with will probably just have light mods like muffler opened up and new rings and possibly base gasket delete. No crazy porting work..(at least not yet:surprised3:)

Thanks for any info and opinions.

So looking into 70cc class saws. I am looking used due to budget. I will not be using this professionally or making money from it so I just can't justify the price of a new one...:(

I have a line on a good-looking 372XP - Xtorque saw.. I have never run a Huskqvarna chainsaw but I have ran and do like some of their other lawn equipment
I have searched this pretty extensively here and other forums and seems the 372XP is a very highly regarded saw. I can find a lot of information and opinions about it, but most are for the original 372XP not the newer X-torque version. When did they change to the newer X-torque versions? Does anybody have experience with both the original 372XP and the X-torque? if so what are any of the differences you noticed?

On Paper the Strato engine seems like a good idea. I have read where several people mod the intake/carb to provide a fuel/air mix to the strato port for more lube.. meh..not sure I'd do that..seems like it would just dump raw fuel into the muffler and make a mess

I am also considering a Stihl ms440. They seem to be plentyful.

It seems that the Huskys have better AV and air filtration. Is the Stihl air filtration bad? or just Husq is better?
I would prefer a saw with more torque. seems general consensus was the ms440 had better torque than the original 372Xp but how about the newer X-torque version?
Probably run a 20-24 bar on it. nothing crazy. not many big trees here on the East coast...but there are some hard ones...

any other quirks or oddities that either brand has?

Dealer support is not an issue. have a dealer for both 5 minutes up the road. I am mechanically competent so I will do any work or repairs on it myself.

Either I end up with will probably just have light mods like muffler opened up and new rings and possibly base gasket delete. No crazy porting work..(at least not yet:surprised3:)

Thanks for any info and opinions.
Parts are way cheaper for 372s, I will be into 2 372s that need a ton of parts for probably about what I put into one Stihl 461 that only needed a piston, bearings, seals, and the filtration system. I haven't run an xt 372 or a 440, but I would say for a 20-24 inch bar a 372 would easily have enough power, so my vote is for 372.

I haven't spent much time with the 372 oe. I run a 372 (well a 2166 with no transfer baffles) and a 440 pretty often. Air filter on the Stihl needs attention much more often and the Stihl definitely vibrates more. Both great saws. Between them, if either has more torque and a more forgiving power band, I'd say it's the x-torq.

Husqvarna 372 oe and maybe the x-series saws are very good..... i much prefer the oe... some like the xt saws more .....the 44 series Stihl saws ... with the 044 being the top dog ....all are all top notch can't go wrong with any of them ........

372 oe más rpm, más consumo de gasolina
372 Xtorq más par, mejor ahorro combustible
ambas son 100%recomendables

Back