372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestdrive0723

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a husky 372xp and I put a new oem cylinder and piston and rings on and had a certified husky dealer rebuild the carb. It runs and it idles fine. It will start right up but as soon as you try and put it to the wood it stops the chain doesn’t die but wont cut.

Is the chain stopping because the clutch is slipping? Or is the saw bogging down because of not enough fuel?
Well I don’t think the clutch is slipping I just put a new fuel line and filter on just the one coming from the tank. Didn’t help it shoots flames out of the exhaust and is back firing through the carb

Well I don’t think the clutch is slipping I just put a new fuel line and filter on just the one coming from the tank. Didn’t help it shoots flames out of the exhaust and is back firing through the carb
Sounds like your flywheel key is sheered.

I had a friend call and say his saw would not cut. Chain was spinning but that was all. I loaded up a new bar and chain, a new clutch and drum, a new rim and bearing and even tossed a rebuilt carburetor in to drive 100 miles to help him. When I got there the chain was on backwards. I don't help him anymore.

I have a husky 372xp and I put a new oem cylinder and piston and rings on and had a certified husky dealer rebuild the carb. It runs and it idles fine. It will start right up but as soon as you try and put it to the wood it stops the chain doesn’t die but wont cut.
Welcome to AS :).
If I was you, and the dealer was near I'd take it there.
Why did you need to install the new cylinder kit?

Yes it will but it will idle and rev but when it revs up it backfires and runs like ****.
If its Backfiring its a timing issue, period.
What I mean is its a single cylinder engine aka simple ,no valve train ,no timing chain, or camshaft. It only gets signal from the flywheel indexed key or the coil ,so simple deduction would indicate a problem with either of the 2.
If you bought it off the internet it could have the wrong flywheel or coil on it and the part numbers would indicate that.
If the cylinder is messed with ,as in gasket thickness or port timing changed through grinding it could be off ,but visually that would be apparent.
First make sure all parts are correct for the model then test coil leads for correct ohms and resistance, gap setting and connectors at the plug and coil. A backfire may not be what your experiencing but rather losing your spark intermittent.

If its Backfiring its a timing issue, period.
What I mean is its a single cylinder engine aka simple ,no valve train ,no timing chain, or camshaft. It only gets signal from the flywheel indexed key or the coil ,so simple deduction would indicate a problem with either of the 2.
If you bought it off the internet it could have the wrong flywheel or coil on it and the part numbers would indicate that.
If the cylinder is messed with ,as in gasket thickness or port timing changed through grinding it could be off ,but visually that would be apparent.
First make sure all parts are correct for the model then test coil leads for correct ohms and resistance, gap setting and connectors at the plug and coil. A backfire may not be what your experiencing but rather losing your spark intermittent.
What Is the gap setting for the coil and flywheel

Back