395xp 8 vs 7 Rim Sprocket for Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvsu141

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 395xp from 2014 for a great price for milling. Have run it a few times, it does decent, but seems like it should have a bit more. Looks like most of my problem is the metering lever set high causing it to run extremely rich - I couldn't get it to go past about 11,800 RPM no load, but that should be fixed soon.

While I had it apart for a pressure test, I noticed it has an 8 pin sprocket on it. For milling purposes, should I swap this out for a 7 pin? I currently have a 24" and 42" bar setup for milling. I will be mostly milling a mix of Ash and Silver Maple, with some occasional walnut/cherry/oak thrown in. Most will be in the 16-24" range, with the occasional bigger. I will dimension a fair amount with the chainsaw to make 2x8 and 2x10.

As a side note, this thing oils like crazy. Even with the pump closed all the way, it still pours out. Doesn't bother me too much for milling, and is enough for the 42" when opened up without an aux oil tank. Just kind of annoying having a huge 6 inch puddle of oil when done, and is excessive when running the 24". I've had the pump apart, all lines, check valves, vents, etc all look good from what I can tell. It only oils when running, and out of the correct spot.

You should be able to use either the 7 or 8 pin sprocket. If you use the 7 pin sprocket drop the rakers a little more and slightly increase the Top Plate Cutting Angle (TPCA) and vice vera for the 8 pin to achieve about the same cutting speed. Alternatively set the rakers and TPC for the 42" bar and the 7 pin sprocket and when you mill with the 24" use the 8 pin for an instant cutting speed boost. This is easier on saws with an outboard drive sprocket.

I have been milling with a 394/5 hybrid as a secondary powerhead to my 3120xp and find the 8 pin okay with a 24” bar in softwood, and less than desirable in hardwood. Definitely wouldn’t mill with a 42” running the 8 pin. I also wouldn’t mill with a 42” bar on any saw without an aux oiler, even the 3120xp which slings an even more obscene amount of oil than the 395, as much of it flies off the tip of the bar and never makes it into the kerf where you need it to cool things down and keep your chain deadly sharp longer.

find the 8 pin okay with a 24” bar in softwood, and less than desirable in hardwood. Definitely wouldn’t mill with a 42” running the 8 pin.

I rarely cut softwood. Mostly hardwood and milling, so I switched to the seven pin. Didn't even realize it came with the eight pin. It definitely feels stronger with the 24-in bar fully buried in Maple.

Good to know about the oiler. I have yet to run the 42 inch bar in anything big, I will look at getting something rigged up.

Latest posts

Back