40:1 in my new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can I run 40 to 1 in my new stihl ms 180. It's What I have mixed up allready but don't want to hurt the little guy. I grab the saw from my dealer on the way up north but grabbed my wrong gas can. It's mixed 40 to 1 with vp oil. But I don't think the ms180 carb is adjustable

Personally I use 40:1 ratio with low
viscosity oils ( "thin" 2T oils like Castrol Power 1 Racing ) ,while a 50:1 ratio is used with "thick" ones ,like Amsoil Saber .
I prefer JASO FD full synthetic oils and avoid using any dino/mineral ones.

The MS180 with stock carb doesn't get along that good with thick oils at 40:1 .

40:1 Castrol and non-eth 91/92 octane is a good option. Got several older saws that say 40:1 a couple say 32:1 most are 50:1 so it's a universal premix in one gas can. If it's a true vintage/antique saw from before the 70's just add a little more to a almost full fuel tank. If your killing all the mosquitos cuz it's smoking alot I don't think anyone will complain. That Stihl "high performance" oil is made by Castrol. (orange bottle). Don't use the other "ultra" Cod, lizard and used cooking oil blend

I also use 40 to 1 Amsoil Saber in all my saws, trimmers, blowers etc. never had an oil related failure
I bought Saber and dominator. I ran a quart of saber at 40:1 then opened the dominator. I ran most of it at 40:1, I just mixed some at 36:1 for curiosity. I haven't run any yet.

Couldn't the same argument be applies to not needing a mixture as rich as 40:1?
Modern oils provide adequate protection st leaner ratios.
Personally I just put 4.8gal instead ot 5.
I wasn’t making any comments towards that. Just saying that using more oil doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to get carbon buildup

Congrats on your new saw :) you’ll be fine. If you want the most life from it, consider buying a walbro WT215 and doing the simple mod to it to have it work in your saw and you’ll then have high and low adjustability!
The carb replacement might be a great idea. But if it were my new saw, I wouldn't do it while the saw's still under warranty.

Back