40 ton County line Splitter from TSC....owner feedback??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHAWK9

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am looking at this -40 TON COUNTY LINE SPLITTER FROM TSC-. The 25GPM pump and 9.5 cycle time has me intrigued. Problem is, I have a 10 year old 28 ton Speeco which has over 200 hours on it which has served me very well and has nothing wrong with it. In fact I would pretty much be "upgrading" simply for the faster cycle time. Also thinking I could get something out of my Speeco while I can vs "running it into the ground" to the point where I can't get much back out of it. If I sell, I can get $1,000 out of my Speeco.

The County Line 40 ton definitely passes the eye test, and LOOKS to be well made, problem is, County Line brand splitters are Chinese crap. I am not sold on the long term quality and that's why I'm looking for some feedback. I've read lots of good stuff but also some horror stories. I think, just like a lot of Chinese stuff, it's a hit and miss. The last thing I want is to sell my Speeco and end up having issues with this County Line and regretting the decision. The County Line has a Kohler engine, but those are probably Chinese now. I'm also guessing the ram and hydraulics are all Chinese too. This leads to the availability of parts...? My gut is telling me to run as far and fast as I can from them, but the $1,800 (on sale) price point for a powerful, 25GPM, 9.5 sec, 40 ton splitter has me very interested. GRRRRRR!

So, any more feedback on these County Line splitters, especially the 40 ton model, would be great.
:)

I've had the countyline 40 for 4 years with no issues what so ever. Mine has been great. I'd buy another one if I needed it. I have a little over 1000 hours on mine. I particularly like the taller wedge that they come with.

I can't seem to find specs on the cylinder, anyone see it?

Based on the cycle time and pump flow, it's probably a 5" cylinder. Maybe a 5.5" cylinder.
That works to only 20-25 tons with a typical pressure relief setting.

I'm thinking it's either not as quick as they claim, or it's not as powerful.

It's a 5 1/8" cylinder from what I have read. It has a 25GPM pump.

I completely agree with it not being a 40 ton unit, but they are all like that. My 28 ton Speeco is not 28 ton, if you do that math. Same can be said with all box box store splitters....they all are over-rated.

That 40 ton has a 5 1/8"" piston and assuming it has an actual working pressure of 3,000 psi...... 5.125*5.125*3.14 = 82.47/4 = 20.62*3,000 = 61,855/2,000 = 30.9 ton. Only way it would reach 40 ton is if ran at a pressure of 3,880psi...which is more than the max pressure stated in the manual.

I'm not worried about tonnage though, if it has a larger piston that my 28 ton, it will produce more force. Cycle time, from the reviews I've read, are accurate, seeing it has a 25GPM pump it should be pretty quick.

from the owners manual:
1603113494364.png

Cant help you on the 40 ton but my 25 ton has been near flawless. 20+ cords a year the last 3 -4 years. Never takes more than 2 pulls to start even in below freezing temps. Most parts can be had through speeco if i remember correctly.

These County Line splitters are not made by Speeco.....they are made/warrantied by YTL International.

https://ytlinternational.com/
They had a recall on the 40 ton models a couple years back.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/ytl-international-recalls-log-splitters-111518.html

I'm not going to get into the numbers but my 40 will split live oak and my 28 wouldn't.

Do you seriously have over 1000 hours on it?! damn!

I use mine about 10 hours a year now that I am well enough a head on wood. I do about 7-10 cord a winter now and even that is too much for the 4-5 I burn a winter.

Do you seriously have over 1000 hours on it?! damn!

I use mine about 10 hours a year now that I am well enough a head on wood. I do about 7-10 cord a winter now and even that is too much for the 4-5 I burn a winter.
Yes I do. I bought one of those digital hour meters and put on it when it was brand new. I do at least 100+ cords a year.
IMG_5049.JPGIMG_5061.JPGIMG_5051.JPG

I did do one modification after using it for the first time. I welded a piece of 1''x1/4'' bar stock to the foot plate because the wood would slip off of it and pop out. It came with 4 little pieces of round bar welded to the foot plate but it wasn't enough to hold the wood in place. See picture below. I off set it about an eighth of an inch so the rounds wouldn't slip off the edgeIMG_5051.JPG bb.pngIMG_5051.JPG

I also added a water proof air breather on the oil tank. It like many came with a SS plug with a dipstick that has a breather hole in the side of it that will allow water to get into the oil tank if it gets rained on. I learned that the hard way with my first 28 ton splitter about 15 years ago.

OK, that is impressive!!

I called YTL International and I guess they used to use control valves made in the US, but now they are from India I guess. He said the pumps are made in Germany. I don't know when they switched to the India made pumps.

My current Speeco has the same/similar foot plate with the same little welded on "spikes" and I've lived with them like that for this long I can make due. I have had crooked cut logs though want to walk up, I just repositioned and carried on. I extended my breather so when I towed it on our hilled lawn with the fill side down, it didn't spill all over.

It's a 5 1/8" cylinder from what I have read. It has a 25GPM pump.

I completely agree with it not being a 40 ton unit, but they are all like that. My 28 ton Speeco is not 28 ton, if you do that math. Same can be said with all box box store splitters....they all are over-rated.

That 40 ton has a 5 1/8"" piston and assuming it has an actual working pressure of 3,000 psi...... 5.125*5.125*3.14 = 82.47/4 = 20.62*3,000 = 61,855/2,000 = 30.9 ton. Only way it would reach 40 ton is if ran at a pressure of 3,880psi...which is more than the max pressure stated in the manual.

I'm not worried about tonnage though, if it has a larger piston that my 28 ton, it will produce more force. Cycle time, from the reviews I've read, are accurate, seeing it has a 25GPM pump it should be pretty quick.

from the owners manual:
View attachment 862365

I wonder where that 3800psi is coming from. Maybe the absolute most the cylinder can handle?

Most gear pumps on splitters are 3000psi max.

Typical pressure relief is in the 2200-2400psi area.

That makes for about 23-25 tons.

Ratings like that need to be regulated. It's just as bad as the "6hp" vacuum cleaners somehow working on a 15amp max 120v line, max of roughly 2hp.

I can’t say anything on the 40t specifically but my 30t has been flawless. It’s way faster and spilts stuff that has stopped my buddy’s 27t Troy built. The only advantage to his is it’s easily moved by hand. My 30t is heavy as hell and the 40t is even beefier.

Interesting. Probably got the last of them. I believe the non-Speeco County Lines were out three years ago.
Very possible. I lucked out and got mine on clearance. Lady told me the were getting in a new style. I can't see much difference other than the spring loaded jack stand on the new ones. I should have bought all 3 they had.

Back