404 conversion to a Homelite Wiz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman2234

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen 404/063 chain in person, mainly because I am a newbie to what I am considering, so please point out any issues that make this train of thought impossible or expensive!
I have a Wiz with a bow running 1/2"/.063 chain. I have another Super Wiz saw with a short bar (20ish") and would like to put a long bar on it, with 42" being my dream size. Finding that much 1/2" chain and a roller tip to fit isn't happening. So, I thought, maybe .404/063 chain on a new or lightly used bar would be a better way of making this come to reality.
The drive gear (7 tooth) probably isn't available in 404, so I thought I could buy one with clutch housing and cut the clutch housing off it, sandwich it between 2 washers, bore hole and install a keyway to match shaft key. If 404 gear is too narrow, I could buy 2 and match them together.
1) Does 404 chain cut similar to 1/2" chain, or maybe a little easier, because this much chain is going to put quite a strain on the ole saw?
2) I am thinking that I might run into issues with shaft size, since the 1/2 is keyed to shaft and 404 probably uses a caged bearing on the I.D.. A bronze or steel bushing might be needed to match the size, and welded/riveted to the 404 drive.
3) What determines the correct number of teeth, is that determined by Size of sproket, since chain driver spacing is constant?
With 3) in mind, and the 42" bar as big of a horsepower drain, will I need to step down a tooth, or is the slower gear drive enough to allow me to run this much chain? Probably have to go with what I can find, lol!
The ole saw is going to be used when I go to disaster relief sites, and the noisey Wiz will draw some attention (which is good!) We ran into some very large trees last time the team I am on went, and I thought my ole Wiz should have come along to help instead of the 310/311 Stihl's we have.
Most people that I have asked this, seemed to think I need to hang that 60 year old saw in the attic and go buy a new saw.
Thoughts?
David from jax

Do you have access to a EDM or similar? If so I can save you a lot of frustration
Well, don't have one of those in my shop, but could probably find one around town willing to do a one-off job. Before I worked for the machine shop, I would run parts down to Orlando that required EDM. Do you have a digital drawing of the drive gear?
I am still in the "will it work" stage of planning, and trying to find out what others who might have done something similar think.
David from jax

Thank-you for pointing that out! Since I have already purchased the first one at 1/10th the cost of the second one, I will await it's arrival and see what can be done with it. I in in the process of trying to purchase some 404 chain and when it all arrives, will look at how it all fits (or doesn't) together. The price of that second sprocket is almost prohibitive, and I may have to modify the first to fit, if possible. Simple cutting of an inside keyway or boring the hole larger isn't a big deal, if that is all it takes, but if it doesn't fit the chain, it will go back.
Again, thank you for your help, as help with this project has been rare. I am not very knowledgeable of chainsaws and this has been frustrating to say the least!
David from jax

I meant to say Bryce but it looks like the phone auto "uncorrected" it to Bruce.

Supply and demand I wouldn’t use it as a daily driver saw that is for sure
Now that I completely understand! Not being as young as I once was, toting that monster all day is probably not even possible. When it does get used, hopefully it will just be to make a couple cuts and go back into it's place in the trailer, at least if I am the only one running it. The bow saw version of it will probably only be run by myself.
David from jax

Bruce just has that priced that high because he is about out of them. I think he was selling them for around $50 until he ran short on supply. There are other options. I will try to post pics Friday
I was interested in the pics you were going to post!
David from jax

I was interested in the pics you were going to post!
David from jax
Here are some options that allow you flexibility. The first picture is of a couple Oregon rim drive adapters. One is for the Homelites and the other is for Poulan saws. Now finding one is a bit tough though so I will post another option.Rim adapters.JPG

Here is a picture of a rim adapter that can be easily made by someone with machining skills. A EDM was used to modify this one. The other is a straight bored non-floating rim style sprocket. It is made by Danzco. Ignore the hub in the center of it as this was for a custom project. Danzco makes them with a standard .625 keyed bore that will fit the Homelite saws. The issue is they are non-floating so you must align your bar directly with the rim. The chain cannot self-align like it can on a spurRim adapter and straight bore.jpg

Latest posts

Back