440 is back to alive!

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
after replacing a LOT of burned up pieces, the saw is back to functional. I just ran 1/2 a tank thru it. It fired right up. Not too shaby for sitting since last year, and going thru a car-b-que. Would you replace the crankcase on a saw that is running? The case has a couple of problems, first is that the bolt hole for the brake stripped out and is rigged with a 1/4-20 helicoil. It makes getting the starter off interesting... The bar mount has seen better days. I can't tighten up the nuts too much as it warps or twists the bar enough that the chain won't move. I had to file down the adjuster to get things together today. There is some metal missing, it seems, from the face of the case. Really the best answer is a case half. If I'm going that far, I'm doing both halves. I will check my price tomorrow.

I know, it's ridiculous, but I like my 440. It was just talking to me a minute ago... "daddy, you see how nice I can run again".

Gads...

Attachments

• IMG-0355.jpg
    IMG-0355.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
It aught to look pretty good, I put NEW stuff on there from Stihl !
I just want to finish the job with getting that old case out of there.

president

president

Addicted to ArboristSite
after replacing a LOT of burned up pieces, the saw is back to functional. I just ran 1/2 a tank thru it. It fired right up. Not too shaby for sitting since last year, and going thru a car-b-que. Would you replace the crankcase on a saw that is running? The case has a couple of problems, first is that the bolt hole for the brake stripped out and is rigged with a 1/4-20 helicoil. It makes getting the starter off interesting... The bar mount has seen better days. I can't tighten up the nuts too much as it warps or twists the bar enough that the chain won't move. I had to file down the adjuster to get things together today. There is some metal missing, it seems, from the face of the case. Really the best answer is a case half. If I'm going that far, I'm doing both halves. I will check my price tomorrow.

I know, it's ridiculous, but I like my 440. It was just talking to me a minute ago... "daddy, you see how nice I can run again".

Gads...
I have settled on my 044s as my go to,s and sold off my 266xps( too heavy)and 460,s

Latest posts