462 or 400 or ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a sliding scale, for another bump in price and a small weight penalty over the 462, you can get a 500i.

For the average person who is cross-shopping the 400/462 and are only on a 2 or 3 saw plan, the 462 is the clear winner IMO. It's probably the correct choice for the OP...but the 400 does have a place in the line up.

For me on my almost 10 saw plan, it didn't make the most sense. I already had 5 saws over 70cc and my next smallest saw was 50cc, so a 60ish cc sized saw seemed to be the glaring hole. I've got quite a bit of time running a wrap-handled 362cm(work saw, not mine) so something that handled like the 362 but with better power, seemed like the ticket. The 400 walks all over the 362 as far as power goes.

The 400 has become my "all around" saw. I use it for spar work on removals, I fall with it, I limb, and even cut brush...very versatile saw.
I made the same choice. I have to cut slopes and high stump for removal often, and needed a capable and lightweight saw to run a 28” bar. I realized beforehand that by the time I got the 400 and spent money on it to make it suitable ( 3/4 wrap, dogs, larger clutch cover, oiler etc) I easily could have had a 462…. But I wanted to make the 400 work. And it does. Now it gets used for the work described above, as well as pretty much everything else. I climb with it, limb and brush, whatever needed. It’s a great saw and at no point have I thought man I should have just got a 462.

I understand why others question your rationale, but I get it. It was my thinking also.

For milling duty get the 462 you have the smaller saw already,And the price difference is very close.The 400 is a great saw as well ,just not as powerfull as the 462. we just purchased a 400cm and a 500i. I installed a wrap kit on the 400 got a deal on the stihl wrap kit off e/ bay.

I made the same choice. I have to cut slopes and high stump for removal often, and needed a capable and lightweight saw to run a 28” bar. I realized beforehand that by the time I got the 400 and spent money on it to make it suitable ( 3/4 wrap, dogs, larger clutch cover, oiler etc) I easily could have had a 462…. But I wanted to make the 400 work. And it does. Now it gets used for the work described above, as well as pretty much everything else. I climb with it, limb and brush, whatever needed. It’s a great saw and at no point have I thought man I should have just got a 462.

I understand why others question your rationale, but I get it. It was my thinking also.

Yep...the first week I owned the 400, I was out cutting on some steeeep ground. Cutting foot holds in the root flare and damn near bench pressing the saw at times on the downhill side...all the while up against the hill on the other side. The 400 strikes the perfect balance between light weight, but still being able to pull a 28" bar.

That being said, my real job just bought me a wrap handle 462 to use. I've barely used it so far, but am impressed by the weight. IMO, the power isn't anything to write home about...it's what I'd expect for a saw its size. It feels slightly heavier than the 400 and feels like it has slightly more power. If anything, the 400 feels like it even revs quicker...which I like for limbing and brushing.

If I had to choose a winner between the two, I'd still stand by my earlier opinion. In my 10 saw plan with sizes between 25-122cc, the 400 filled a whole in my line up between my Husky 550 and 372. At my main job, where I'm only going to have a couple of saws at my disposal, a little bump in power makes the 462 a winner.

Maybe in softwood.

462's do not enjoy 32" bars in oak....ask me how I know. It's not a huge fan of 28" buried in oak/locust/hickory either...but it will run it and oil it pretty good.

On a 32" in hardwood I have to either hold it up out of the cut or leave the depth gauges very high. I don't enjoy holding a saw up out of the cut.

I have run my 462 with a 32in bar & RS full skip with no problem in a 53in dia. white oak. The saw has a MM & timing advance but is not ported nor has it had the compression increased. It did not whimper!

Looking for a 462 myself, can't find any locally here in south central Texas.

I think the MS400 will be the saw we are all talking about in years
to come as one of Stihls best.
Which one, thats simple, if you need to use a longer bar or are in
bigger or harder wood most of the time, take the 462.
If your in wood that the MS400 can handle and do not require a bar
that would hang happier on the MS462, then go for the MS400.

Both are light saws in their class, can't go wrong, if you don't mind MT.

It's been a few months since getting the 400, but I still love that saw. Since then, I've ported it and milled the cylinder. Also threw the 461R oiler guts in it.

I've been using it this week on a side job, thinning on steep slopes. Nothing giant on this job, just cutting a bunch of dead 20" dbh oaks. In between the oaks is just a bunch of smaller oaks and bay trees(those are alive) that need to get thinned out. The 400 was perfect...light enough to thin out little 4-6" trees, but plenty of power to fall the hardwoods.

I still say that the 462R makes more financial sense, once you consider the oiler upgrades and the wrap kit on the 400, but it is the best saw for the niche role it's filling for me.

I'm also a bit weird about it, but I like modifying/improving saws, so the 400 has been a fun build...mine's a totally different saw than what Stihl envisioned. That being said, I think Stihl would have a pretty good market here on the west coast if they built the saw in a wrap version...w/the HO oiler, I think it would sell like hotcakes locally. Almost all my friends in, either the logging or tree work industry, are seriously looking at the 400 after trying mine out. The big deal breaker with most of them is that they don't come in a wrap version...IDK if Stihl is worried about it cannibalizing 462R sales or what the issue is.

It's been a few months since getting the 400, but I still love that saw. Since then, I've ported it and milled the cylinder. Also threw the 461R oiler guts in it.

I've been using it this week on a side job, thinning on steep slopes. Nothing giant on this job, just cutting a bunch of dead 20" dbh oaks. In between the oaks is just a bunch of smaller oaks and bay trees(those are alive) that need to get thinned out. The 400 was perfect...light enough to thin out little 4-6" trees, but plenty of power to fall the hardwoods.

I still say that the 462R makes more financial sense, once you consider the oiler upgrades and the wrap kit on the 400, but it is the best saw for the niche role it's filling for me.

I'm also a bit weird about it, but I like modifying/improving saws, so the 400 has been a fun build...mine's a totally different saw than what Stihl envisioned. That being said, I think Stihl would have a pretty good market here on the west coast if they built the saw in a wrap version...w/the HO oiler, I think it would sell like hotcakes locally. Almost all my friends in, either the logging or tree work industry, are seriously looking at the 400 after trying mine out. The big deal breaker with most of them is that they don't come in a wrap version...IDK if Stihl is worried about it cannibalizing 462R sales or what the issue is.
I also like changing a saw up and making it different than the next guy that might have the “same” saw, its fun. I have no regrets putting money into the 400 instead of just buying a 462. I really do think Stihl was careful to handicap this saw to some extent so that it wouldn’t steal sales from other models, but that just makes the workaround by using parts intended for other saws even more satisfying 😎

Looking for a 462 myself, can't find any locally here in south central Texas.
I also have a 261 & 201 (rear handle), both of which are early models with adjustable carbs. Great saws. The 261 is easy to tune. The 201 is a bit tricky due to the #$!!&*#$%#$* rev limiter. Those things are the invention of a satan worshipper!!

Latest posts

Back