500i starting problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jquirk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Brand new saw, probably only 10 tanks of gas through, saw has consistent starting problems after sitting for a bit after running time. First start of the day OK, not great, but I can get it going with about 5 to 8 pulls and lots of primer bulb. Not what I signed up for at 1600 bucks.

Second starts nothing but a rumble, 30 40 yanks and 100 primer bulb pushes, no joy.

I hope something is wrong with this saw, going into a gold level dealer for service, if they give it back to me "awe shucks nothing wrong", I am giving up, bringing back to its original dealer, dont get me going on those people.....

No Mods - yet - I have seen all the air filter stuff and if I keep the saw I will do something about the "fines" issue. for now just cleaning all the time.

89 gasoline with Amsoil at 40 to 1

My Mtronic saws do not like it if I run them hard and shut them down right away, especially if I hit the switch before they even got to idle. On restart they are too rich to start. Letting them idle for 10 seconds or so before shut down fixes the problem. It's probably a good idea anyhow as that cools the saw engine down but sometimes after a series of cuts I'm to eager to get to the next step. I think the ECU sees the higher engine speed and tells the carb to put out that much fuel. The FI might work the same.

Brand new saw, probably only 10 tanks of gas through, saw has consistent starting problems after sitting for a bit after running time. First start of the day OK, not great, but I can get it going with about 5 to 8 pulls and lots of primer bulb. Not what I signed up for at 1600 bucks.

Second starts nothing but a rumble, 30 40 yanks and 100 primer bulb pushes, no joy.

I hope something is wrong with this saw, going into a gold level dealer for service, if they give it back to me "awe shucks nothing wrong", I am giving up, bringing back to its original dealer, dont get me going on those people.....

No Mods - yet - I have seen all the air filter stuff and if I keep the saw I will do something about the "fines" issue. for now just cleaning all the time.

89 gasoline with Amsoil at 40 to 1

Does the primer bulb work? 100 pushes is crazy. I'd take the bulb off and give it a good test on the bench.

Make sure you let the saw idle before you shut it down.

I haven't had this problem with my 500i, but i have with my 261 and my 462. If I run the saw hard, pull it out of a cut and immediately shut it off, it will not want to start after that. Usually have to hold the throttle wide open and pull it for a while because it's running it too rich.

Make sure the saw comes down to idle, and let it run at idle for like 15 seconds or so before shutting it down and see if that helps.

It does have a primer bulb and I can feel the gas moving through the saw. I think the posts about the idle down might have some weight. Currently the saw is in the shop with a gold certified mechanic looking at it, hopefully he finds something wrong, I will try the idle down when I get it back.

Make sure you let the saw idle before you shut it down.

I haven't had this problem with my 500i, but i have with my 261 and my 462. If I run the saw hard, pull it out of a cut and immediately shut it off, it will not want to start after that. Usually have to hold the throttle wide open and pull it for a while because it's running it too rich.

Make sure the saw comes down to idle, and let it run at idle for like 15 seconds or so before shutting it down and see if that helps.

Same here. My 261 was terrible to start once. Here I learned to let it idle before shutoff and have never had a problem since.

It does have a primer bulb and I can feel the gas moving through the saw. I think the posts about the idle down might have some weight. Currently the saw is in the shop with a gold certified mechanic looking at it, hopefully he finds something wrong, I will try the idle down when I get it back.
The 500i doesn’t…

it has a bulb to pressurize the high pressure fuel circuit, but does not have a primer.

Right, I have seen a actual stihl video with a diagram of the fuel flow etc, and some high heat issue causing the fuel in the line to vaporize so the video recommended 8 pushes to clear the bubbles. This loop of fuel does not go directly to combustion, it just feeds the injector system. Over flow fuel just dumps back to tank. Pushes on the bulb just circulate fuel.

Latest posts

Back