511 ax. Vs 520-120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnance

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is the 511ax worth the extra money over the 520-120? Looks like the vise is different. Are there any other differences? I can get a need 511ax seco d hand but never used. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

511AX has been replaced by the newer 520-120.

511AX has a self-centering vise, but some guys wore them out. 520 went back to the standard vise, but added cams that apply pressure from both sides. I would be happy to use either one, but would go with the newer model at the same price.

Philbert

ya the vise of the AX lasted me about 3 months gave up after the third replacement @$169ea. some of the parts could be gotten separately but not the main shaft at the bottom. As it would wear it would be tight at the bottom but loose at the top. Nice idea, poor execution. the only attribute that each of these has is the ability to move the assembly fore and aft to keep the center line of the wheel centered on the chain- only a concern if using stone wheels as the CBN one's do not change size- lose electroplated grit though. Note: I do chains commercially so my comments are based on that. I get 8 ft long loops of .404FC , full comp. from a beam saw in for sharpening, a dozen of those is an 8 hr shift.

thanks for the link as i have worn out a couple more vises . If anyone has problems with the upper 1/2 of the frame casting I have 6 on hand. eventually the upper casting piviot shaft holes get wallered out.

thanks for the link as i have worn out a couple more vises .
Most people know that Tecomec makes most of Oregon's grinders, and that many of the parts are interchangeable. The site mentioned also carries parts for some other models if you don't want to go with the same vise - should fit (?).

Philbert

Yes Philbert, I am aware of that. Fnding different parts hasn't always worked too well. Flipping search engines and their algorithms. Many years back one could change search terms and get somewhere now they just put up the same hash. It is extremely irritating. Please note: That I go back to pre-internet/computers time periods back then the internet was called the local Library and once in awhile I resort to that procedure to this day, party line phones and 3 cranks to get the operator. I am though, a little newer, than using an abacus :laugh: although the first adding machine I had for the shop was mechanical as was the first cash register ( dang those thing are worth some serious coin now) operated like a slot machine.
Yes, all the tilting vises seem to be interchangeable across the spectrum of mfg names. Motor mounting also , but there are differences in the motors- sometimes physical size other times internally. Burned a couple of those up also.
Have run into similar things with auto/ truck parts - I will leave it at buyer beware.
Do enjoy reading your comments and tips. I always thought that a vise operating like a standard bench vise assembly would be a good choice on our sharpeners might take just a bit more effort than a cam but less wear factors. The adjustability fore and aft is nothing new been around for years - was dropped to save a few pennies on mfg cost. Reintroduced with a higher price tag ( marketing 101) when I really get ticked about some part on a machine I will make my own if possible ( that can be a real adventure at times, I call it a learning experience)
Offhand do you know if the internals on that vise referenced above are set up the same as the orginial ? If so it is not an option then.

Offhand do you know if the internals on that vise referenced above are set up the same as the orginial ?
I don't know, but I would assume that they are. Tecomec still sells that model vise on their 'Jolly Star' grinder. I have not seen the vise on the newer Oregon 520-120 used on other grinders, so it may be unique to them.

Philbert

Back