550XP next steps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the instructions on the saw, if you have one.
You have no idea what you're talking about. These saws would get the carb so hot the fuel will turn to vapor, you couldn't even get fuel to cycle through the carb with the purge bulb. The carb was too close to the cylinder, with no shielding and lack of airflow. The saw was redesigned in part to deal with this, the 562 wasn't any better.

My older (2013?) gen 1 runs and hot starts 100% perfect in cool or cold weather.
No high idle, 1 pull for restarts.

In hot weather if it sits for more than 5-10 min after running, it is a PITA to start.
The high idle helps.

First start of the day it's very predictable. Purge, choke on, 2 pulls until it fires, choke off, starts up.

I did notch the side cover. I should add the insulation to the carb cavity separator plate.

I can see insulation like automotive heat tape or firewall material helping. I’ve added aluminum hvac tape to the top cover divider wall and not had this issue to my knowledge.

Cutting holes in the top cover seems like a good way to get debris ingress if done wrong.

My older (2013?) gen 1 runs and hot starts 100% perfect in cool or cold weather.
No high idle, 1 pull for restarts.

In hot weather if it sits for more than 5-10 min after running, it is a PITA to start.
The high idle helps.

First start of the day it's very predictable. Purge, choke on, 2 pulls until it fires, choke off, starts up.

I did notch the side cover. I should add the insulation to the carb cavity separator plate.
Do you let it idle a bit before shutting it down, I also never run them completely out of fuel.

Venting the top cover is another option, as is simply removing the top cover after shutdown. In 85°+ humid weather, the saws are pretty much not usable after shutdown, at least until they cool down. You could get them to fire here and there, but you'd suck up vapor and the saw would die. This is with good fuel and other saws I had ran just fine.

Older saws have vapor lock issues as well, with the solid intake blocks and the carb basically being bolted straight to the case or cylinder. Plus long fuel lines sitting on the hot case, and the fuel tank being part of the case would often heat the fuel well past boiling. That was mostly a thing of the bast when manufacturers started isolating the components better.

Husqvarna just did not thoroughly test the 550 and 562 before they were put on the market, Husky made changes like rerouting the fuel line, better airflow and tank vent improvements, and let's not forget about the dozen or so different carbs used on these two model. By that time the 550 was so hated a redesign was a must, and the 562 is now basically redesigned as well. The 572 was thoroughly tested ans it shows, I'm betting the 592 will be good to go when it becomes available.

By that time the 550 was so hated
Not by all, but as I always advise, but a late model one, as they had the bugs worked out by 2016 :yes:.
Best handling 50cc saw made in my opinion, and plenty of power in stock for to run an 18x325 for limbing and bucking smaller wood:chainsaw:.

Happy new yr guys.

My 550xp is an older model and I really like how it runs. I did do a muffler mod to it but nothing else. I must be one of the lucky ones and I'll keep my fingers crossed! I don't run my saw when it's warm because, well, it just doesn't get that warm here! haha The only thing that I don't care for is that I have to put my saw on high idle everytime I start it after it's been running. Be nice to just pick it up and give it a tug like every other saw I've owned. I have been able to start it hot on occasion over the years but to have it start consistantly, I've just settled on setting to high idle and it always starts one pull.

Maybe they tested them in Sweden, in winter?
That's funny.
I don't run my saw when it's warm because, well, it just doesn't get that warm here!
So is this lol.

I need to get mine out for a little session, it's colder now :laugh:.
I usually run them in the summer as that's when I do the most tree work. I run my 346's in the winter doing firewood, sure wish the 346's had captive bar nuts :sucks:, at least you can use a 455/460 rancher clutch cover do you have a bigger side tensioner like the 550 ;).

Not by all, but as I always advise, but a late model one, as they had the bugs worked out by 2016 :yes:.
Best handling 50cc saw made in my opinion, and plenty of power in stock for to run an 18x325 for limbing and bucking smaller wood:chainsaw:.

Happy new yr guys.

When running the Gen one 550xp is my favorite 50c saw ever made. The 16+ models still had major issues, the bearings were very prone to failure.

Happy new year everyone!

Maybe they tested them in Sweden, in winter?
That was actually the conclusion I came to. If you notice with the 572 and 592 Husqvarna made it a point to mention over and over both saws were tested in hot climates. I actually think they ran the 550 for a few hours in Sweden and called it good to go.

When running the Gen one 550xp is my favorite 50c saw ever made. The 16+ models still had major issues, the bearings were very prone to failure.

Happy new year everyone!
That's how I feel, and it still is. I've had all the modern 50cc saws, still go back to the 550mk1 for my limbing saws. Whats a few hundred here and there when it's easy to make that and a lot more on a job. For firewooding for personal use I don't typically recommend any of the AT/MT saws.
That was actually the conclusion I came to. If you notice with the 572 and 592 Husqvarna made it a point to mention over and over both saws were tested in hot climates. I actually think they ran the 550 for a few hours in Sweden and called it good to go.
Yep, as long as they fire up and don't ice up most saws have no problem running in the cold/cooler weather.

562 is a fine saw. It also reportedly has issues out of the gate, but do a search for replacement parts for a 550xp. It can get confusing with the two generations. Fixing the problems by releasing updated components may not be such a bad solution, comparatively.

I have several 550XPs (different ages), a 560XP, and a Jred 2260. They all have the extra cooling hole in the top cover and the 550s have muffler mods. I have to use the the Husqvarna “hot start” technique on all of them but they start one pull when warm, even in hot weather. I love these saws. One of the 550s is a MMWS with a wrap handle that is my real go-to saw for tight places or difficult footing.

Damn guys..... making me regret buying my 562.... LOL

You should not regret it. They are great saws. Yes, some early ones had issues and folks on here are all aware of what those were, but the 562 is a HUGE seller and there are a gazillion more running strong every day. If your saw is late 2020 with the new filtration, it is as good as it gets for a 60cc saw. If it was early 2020 with the old style filters, do yourself a favour and upgrade. The new filter is much superior. Top versus bottom.
223d422274d365501b167f63053447d4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To tell ya the truth, I haven't even looked at it yet. Only ran a half tank thru it so far. Got it for a heck of a price with 24'' bar and chain. Gonna use it for my big storm cleanup saw when needed or other large cutting. Put my poor MS310 with a 20" b&c thru h*ll the last couple of years of cleanups from windstorms, derechos and tornados.

I do see an upgrade kit on eBay. But don't know if I can justify it for what little use it may see. ....

Thanks for the heads up though. I will give it a look tomorrow for shure!

Back