550xp stopped idling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's a 2020 550xp. Just started her 8th tank and the auto-tune has gone completely silly. I've tried to reset the calibration, but I don't have access to a 15 foot log at the moment.... awesome job Husqvarna!!!
šŸ˜‘
She starts fine, warms up with a noticeable "skip". Once flicking the throttle, an immense plume of smoke happens. When cutting, she feels way too rich on the low jet and very lean up high. Power has definitely dropped off.
Once warm, she'll idle for 15 to 30 seconds max, before clunking out. Then will only start with full throttle and a crazy amount of smoke.
This all happened today. I noticed the issue in the last half of her 7th tank, and it's ridiculous on her 8th.
All the same lot of fuel (Stihl Motimix), yet the auto-tune has completely changed.
I removed the muffler, (again, awesome job Husqvarna! WTF?) and the piston looks completely fine.
Do I really need a 15 foot log to reset this thing?
I've had four Stihl M-Tronic saws that have never had an issue. So I don't think it's me.

It's a 2020 550xp. Just started her 8th tank and the auto-tune has gone completely silly. I've tried to reset the calibration, but I don't have access to a 15 foot log at the moment.... awesome job Husqvarna!!!
[emoji58]
She starts fine, warms up with a noticeable "skip". Once flicking the throttle, an immense plume of smoke happens. When cutting, she feels way too rich on the low jet and very lean up high. Power has definitely dropped off.
Once warm, she'll idle for 15 to 30 seconds max, before clunking out. Then will only start with full throttle and a crazy amount of smoke.
This all happened today. I noticed the issue in the last half of her 7th tank, and it's ridiculous on her 8th.
All the same lot of fuel (Stihl Motimix), yet the auto-tune has completely changed.
I removed the muffler, (again, awesome job Husqvarna! WTF?) and the piston looks completely fine.
I've had four Stihl M-Tronic saws that have never had an issue. So I don't think it's me.
Man that sucks. Hopefully someone here can help you out. Is there any way you can take the wood you have cut and lay it end to end to make a 15' log?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Man that sucks. Hopefully someone here can help you out. Is there any way you can take the wood you have cut and lay it end to end to make a 15' log?

I have a job next Thursday out West (NC). I'll do what I can then.
I guess when husky says "pro" they mean it. Lol.
I'm very disappointed with this thing. It has turned into a complete donkey.
I'm seriously thinking about doing a compression test, because it feels dead in the cut.
The kicker is; all dealers lost their Husqvarna backing two years ago, so I'm stranded with this POS unless I drive 70 miles or order parts on amazon.
Yay.
šŸ‘
There's three Stihl dealers within 5 minutes. That's a huge change from 5 years ago.
I really miss my stolen MS261.

I have a job next Thursday out West (NC). I'll do what I can then.
I guess when husky says "pro" they mean it. Lol.
I'm very disappointed with this thing. It has turned into a complete donkey.
I'm seriously thinking about doing a compression test, because it feels dead in the cut.
The kicker is; all dealers lost their Husqvarna backing two years ago, so I'm stranded with this POS unless I drive 70 miles or order parts on amazon.
Yay.
[emoji106]
There's three Stihl dealers within 5 minutes. That's a huge change from 5 years ago.
I really miss my stolen MS261.
I live in NC and there are no servicing Husqvarna dealers around here anymore. Every hardware store is a Stihl dealer but only a few work on them.

Could be a stuck daphragm. The other thought I have is the saw has a bad air leak and the AT system it trying to compensate by delivering a lot of fuel.

At one year it shouldn't have these issues, but it happens with every brand. I would start going over the saw and look for the normal stuff any saw can have.

No Husqvarna dealers in my neck of the woods, I was told there was a good one about an hour away. I can throw a rock and hit two Stihl dealers.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I live in NC and there are no servicing Husqvarna dealers around here anymore. Every hardware store is a Stihl dealer but only a few work on them.

Same. I'm in Hope Mills and there's three decent full service Stihl dealers. All of which had Husqvarna until two years ago.
My family is in MA and VT and it's the same there.
It could be an air leak, but it doesn't race at all, except out of the cut.
If it doesn't un-eff itself next week when I can actually utilize a sizeable log, I'll do a full diagnostic
I know every company makes lemons, but this is very disappointing. All I see is a fat stack of cash... dyed orange and completely useless.

Same. I'm in Hope Mills and there's three decent full service Stihl dealers. All of which had Husqvarna until two years ago.
My family is in MA and VT and it's the same there.
It could be an air leak, but it doesn't race at all, except out of the cut.
If it doesn't un-eff itself next week when I can actually utilize a sizeable log, I'll do a full diagnostic
I know every company makes lemons, but this is very disappointing. All I see is a fat stack of cash... dyed orange and completely useless.
I understand your frustrations. I would be the same way. I'm a Husqvarna fan. I have two old 50s. One I bought new, the other I bought last year and rebuilt it. I bought a 545 a couple years ago. It's a great saw but I don't know what I would do if it gives trouble. I can work on the old ones but the autotune is a different story.

šŸ˜‘
Air leak in base gasket got my auto to the dealer, then it kept running spotty. They ended up putting whole new carb n ignition... before I was happy

Truth.
I got lit up here for saying negative things about a 572 that was the same. Granted it wasn't mine, but very similar issues
It's a strange conundrum because it hits the wood like a beast and breezes through about a quarter of a cut. Then just gets wonky. Four stroking and loses power. Pull it out and rev it a few times and it plunges back in like a champ.... for a few seconds, then starts going goofy again.
I actually called the owners of the company with the 572 and they (Chris Larson & Bob Mazolini) have both said that it just sits in the truck, because of the issues. It's actually been sent to Husqvarna, but "nothing" is wrong with it, along with the cost of shipping.
Both saws seem to be having identical hiccups.
I can't help but say that, with the mass closure of hundreds of husky dealer sponsorship, the arrival of Stihl's 500i and 400c, Husqvarna is hurting.... badly.
Especially if this is their quality.... without dealer support, and no accountability.
Bye husky.... the new Mac.
šŸ˜–

Starting to sound more like an air leak.

All manufacturers have issues, the 550 was a total disaster, the 562 wasn't great, especially the early ones. Stihl has it's own issues from time to time I know of two 500i's that have starting issues, they will only start if you pin the throttle, dealer has had them for a month, And is waiting on a new wiring when a harness to hook the diagnostics, he lost the set he had, the proprietary connectors cost over a $1000, which the dealer has to pay for.

I do not see the release of the 400 having any affect on Husqvarna sales, the 462 and 500i for sure, though the I feel the 572 is an amazing saw.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I'm, by no means, knocking the 572. I also agree that it is an awesome saw.
I just have one experience with a single example, and it is a train wreck.
That isn't in anyway degrading, not dismissing the absolute beasts that actually work properly.
Like I said, every company makes lemons. It just sucks when there is absolutely zero dealer support for a saw that cost almost $700. As I stated in my original thread, praising this saw, I didn't buy it, but inherited it without it ever having tasting fuel.
I grew up with post-Husqvarna Jonsered. And I absolutely loved them.
This saw is ...... specially broken. By no means an I saying that all orange saws are the same.
I don't look at, nor care about sales numbers. My point about the 500i and 400c is referring to the chance and innovative engineering involved. With immense dealer support.
Where's husky? What are they up to? Closing dealers, denying warranties, and utilizing a horrible and an asinine customer support service from India.
It's a shame and really illustrates their priority. Which isn't support, pride, nor honor in their product.
If you have a good saw, with dealer support, and you like it; Outstanding!!!. But if you get a bad one, good luck.

Here's the difference I've noticed.
I bought a 362c two years ago. The clutch locked up. Sure, it's an easy fix, but it was still under warranty.
I sent an email to Stihl. Within hours the closest dealer contacted me. I had a nice conversation and ended up getting a new clutch and left with a burnt up 026.
Now, my 550xp stops idling; I sent Husqvarna an email describing the entire situation
The return email; "Find an authorized dealer near your area and submit a claim".
That's telling.

There has to be someone on this site in the Northeast that you could ship the saw to and they will fix the problem. Very frustrating for sure and creates extra expense but there are lemons in all brands. Sounds like you should fix the 550, sell it and go back to Stihl.

There's something to light usage with these saws as well, neighbor just bought a brandy new 562xp, always complains it has issues and has had it back at the dealer several times. He stopped off last week for me to sharpen the chain, told me how it bogged bad and smoked badly. Took it out and buried it in some dry beach. After a few cuts it figured it's self out and ran great. I forgot he's a 3/4 throttle guy. Rarely uses full throttle and let's it idle a lot. Last I heard it still didn't have 5 hours of runtime on it. I did have to admit it runs nothing like either of my 562xp's. It needs a good bit of warm up time till it sorts itself out.
Only experience I've had with a 572xp was positive was a very good running saw, but definitely could feel the weight over a 372xp.

Always hear these generic bad gas threads. If its one saw usually there is a mechanical issue that can solved.....get into a whole class of saws there usually is pride involved. You don't need a 15ft log to field tune a 550. But also if a guy is in the tree business and can't find something enough to tune....there is your sign.

Back