550xp stopped idling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need a 15ft log to field tune a 550. But also if a guy is in the tree business and can't find something enough to tune....there is your sign.
I'm not "in the tree business". My primary income is from a military disability. I was very much in "tree business", but most companies I worked for are now gone. I just do random jobs, usually as a simple laborer or, in occasion, a faller. Am I a "pro"? No. Not even close. However, I've spent countless hours on a skidder, bouncing up tote roads with a pile of chain, clearing trails and opening landings. But it is absolutely no longer my job.
So yes, I don't have access to a decent log whenever I want. Firewood is unwanted and un-needed in SE NC. Winter temps are rarely below 45°F, so most firewood is pine intended and used for chimneas and burn barrels.
I'm sorry if I don't qualify as a chainsaw enthusiast to you.
But a turd is a turd. Lemons are lemons, no matter what brand makes the them.
You can attack my integrity all you want if that's all the "help" you can offer.... but that doesn't change my saw's performance, my disappointment, nor my history.
So enjoy $hit!ing on others because of their personal struggles. Whatever blows your hair back.
Thanks for the input in diagnosing this machine. Thanks for the solution and suggestions that you imply without offering anything other than unfounded personal attacks.
Very helpful. I hope you feel extra manly.

I'm not "in the tree business". My primary income is from a military disability. I was very much in "tree business", but most companies I worked for are now gone. I just do random jobs, usually as a simple laborer or, in occasion, a faller. Am I a "pro"? No. Not even close. However, I've spent countless hours on a skidder, bouncing up tote roads with a pile of chain, clearing trails and opening landings. But it is absolutely no longer my job.
So yes, I don't have access to a decent log whenever I want. Firewood is unwanted and un-needed in SE NC. Winter temps are rarely below 45°F, so most firewood is pine intended and used for chimneas and burn barrels.
I'm sorry if I don't qualify as a chainsaw enthusiast to you.
But a turd is a turd. Lemons are lemons, no matter what brand makes the them.
Thank you sir for your service to our great country.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

So I suggest having the saw vac/pressure tested, that will give you a good place to start. I've had my own issues with this model, basic diagnosis is not hard. Check the basics first.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

So I suggest having the saw vac/pressure tested, that will give you a good place to start. I've had my own issues with this model, basic diagnosis is not hard. Check the basics first.
I surely will. I'm going to grab a new pressure line tomorrow for my mityvac.
But yes. Compression, pressure & vacuum tests are definitely where I'll start.

Quick update.
So I managed to get her running right. Still seems a bit lean up high, but, to me all new saws do.
I did the auto-tune recalibration procedure and had her in some very big wood for a few tanks and all the issues are gone.
I definitely appreciate this saw, and really think it handles much more like a 50cc pro saw should. But I still have to say that Husqvarna's Auto-Tune is asinine. Stihl's M-Tronic can be recalibrated in the driveway.
I did a comp test and it's between 155 and 160 so that's not bad for a new saw.
Overall, I'm happy as long as it doesn't go wonky again.

Quick update.
So I managed to get her running right. Still seems a bit lean up high, but, to me all new saws do.
I did the auto-tune recalibration procedure and had her in some very big wood for a few tanks and all the issues are gone.
I definitely appreciate this saw, and really think it handles much more like a 50cc pro saw should. But I still have to say that Husqvarna's Auto-Tune is asinine. Stihl's M-Tronic can be recalibrated in the driveway.
I did a comp test and it's between 155 and 160 so that's not bad for a new saw.
Overall, I'm happy as long as it doesn't go wonky again.

Thanks for the update. Glad it's back to normal.

The AT system recalibrates itself in a matter of seconds while cutting, something else happened IMHO.
I'm definitely not dismissing that possibility. In fact, I'm listening and feeling this saw so much, because of it's sentimental value, that it's like watching a newborn baby.
Definitely could have been a diaphragm issue.
From my research, the auto-tune needs a 30 second cut to properly recalibrate the high jet. As Mr Donato recommended, when I buried it in big wood, it figured itself out.
I think I was being too careful with it, only cutting 6-8 inch limbs for seven tanks. I had just a few more cuts left when it started acting up and getting crazy rich down low.
Now I know..... hopefully

I'm definitely not dismissing that possibility. In fact, I'm listening and feeling this saw so much, because of it's sentimental value, that it's like watching a newborn baby.
Definitely could have been a diaphragm issue.
From my research, the auto-tune needs a 30 second cut to properly recalibrate the high jet. As Mr Donato recommended, when I buried it in big wood, it figured itself out.
I think I was being too careful with it, only cutting 6-8 inch limbs for seven tanks. I had just a few more cuts left when it started acting up and getting crazy rich down low.
Now I know..... hopefully
Same thing with the neighbors 562xp. Glad it came around for you. They can be very frustrating at times when they learn a stupid tune for whatever reason.

There's something to light usage with these saws as well, neighbor just bought a brandy new 562xp, always complains it has issues and has had it back at the dealer several times. He stopped off last week for me to sharpen the chain, told me how it bogged bad and smoked badly. Took it out and buried it in some dry beach. After a few cuts it figured it's self out and ran great. I forgot he's a 3/4 throttle guy. Rarely uses full throttle and let's it idle a lot. Last I heard it still didn't have 5 hours of runtime on it. I did have to admit it runs nothing like either of my 562xp's. It needs a good bit of warm up time till it sorts itself out.
Only experience I've had with a 572xp was positive was a very good running saw, but definitely could feel the weight over a 372xp.
Sounds like he should have purchased a saw a bit more suitable to his skill set like a MS290 or something. Given he can't sharpen a chain...runs it at 3/4 throttle etc etc.

is your serial number in the range of 20202500001 to 20212500317

there is a service bulletin B1210012A-07 relating to the crank seals

Back