55ish kilos, 5'5 woman... should I even be trying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnat

Reaction score
I really, really want to do this, I've already been accepted into an Arborist program and when asking my future Prof one-on-one for any advice he'd give himself starting out, he gave only this; "Work on upper body, really work on it." Otherwise, he was supportive but I need true, grounded (haha) opinions on my situation. I've been working out and pounding the protein, but I'm worried it won't end up being worth it once any employer gets a look at me. Should I try a different career?

I really, really want to do this, I've already been accepted into an Arborist program and when asking my future Prof one-on-one for any advice he'd give himself starting out, he gave only this; "Work on upper body, really work on it." Otherwise, he was supportive but I need true, grounded (haha) opinions on my situation. I've been working out and pounding the protein, but I'm worried it won't end up being worth it once any employer gets a look at me. Should I try a different career?
Very physical business.. Yet the hardest muscle to train is the one above the shoulders... You can lift weights till you can't see, yet still feel pain at work. And wake sore in the morning.. The physical burn is something to familiarize yourself with. It's daily. Also something to take pride in doing... Don't be a quitter..

Very physical business.. Yet the hardest muscle to train is the one above the shoulders... You can lift weights till you can't see, yet still feel pain at work. And wake sore in the morning.. The physical burn is something to familiarize yourself with. It's daily. Also something to take pride in doing... Don't be a quitter..
it is worth it then. thank you!

Gnat,
Cheers on your aspiration! I am a 5'1" male and got told "Not gonna happen" a lot in life. Been a climbing line man with the power utilities and the phone companies for 20 yrs+ . Switched over to line clearing arbor work when that stuff panned out. Never give up! Weight training your upper body, especially your shoulders and back are crucial. Your legs will develop as you learn to climb. Squats or leg press will help. Run to the canopy, you can reach the stars! Best of luck.

Gnat,
Cheers on your aspiration! I am a 5'1" male and got told "Not gonna happen" a lot in life. Been a climbing line man with the power utilities and the phone companies for 20 yrs+ . Switched over to line clearing arbor work when that stuff panned out. Never give up! Weight training your upper body, especially your shoulders and back are crucial. Your legs will develop as you learn to climb. Squats or leg press will help. Run to the canopy, you can reach the stars! Best of luck.
Thank you so much! I'll keep it pushin :)

Learning how to Breathe is key to doing long Hard Work daily. I owned my own tree company and climbed daily for 25 years ,in that time I also did martial arts, aerobics, rollerblading besides my daily work, now at 70 years old I can still work the pants off most people 10 to 15 years younger .Best of luck in Your Future Endeavors!

Your at a good weight for your height. As far as upper body strength goes, yes you wanna “work on it” but you should also hit your core and lower body as well. An imbalance in strength will get you injured. Compound movements are your friend here. Squat, deadlift, and overhead press is what I’d be focusing on, with appropriate accessory movements mixed in to round it out. Strong man type training would carry over to logging and arborist work quite well also. Don’t for get to pace yourself.

Also, your concern that a potential employer might look you over and pass--not real likely. In the arborist field good help is hard to come by. There's always demand for good, reliable, hard working people. If you show skill, determination to learn, reliability, and stamina, you will not lack for work opportunity.

I've done plenty of rough physical jobs. Moving van swamper, infantryman, technician, assault pioneer, office furniture mover, etc, etc...
Each was very satisfying (until it wasn't) for the most part. But the best part is that I can now, as a flabby old geezer, out lift, out last, out anticipate and basically out perform most people half my age because as you do physical thing, you develop a sense for the spatiality of the objects, a feel for their momentum, a sixth sense for knowing the leverage points and a general know how about moving yourself with/around/along/over stuff. And you get a handle on the tools you can use to really leverage your power.
Some people can't. They simply can't. Spatial awareness escapes them in the way that pitch escapes someone who can't hold a tune.
But I think they're rare.
Start, and go with it. You'll discover your abilities - and they're not very contingent on brute strength.
Sure, lift weights. But work with wheels, pulleys, boxes, lumber, shovels, axes, ropes, fulcrums, levers, furniture, ladders, etc.
And enjoy!

Thank you! I'll keep working on that muscle , your support means a lot:)

I haven't been there for years (and years) but for what its worth...

Not going to lie, brute strength helps. Can get you out of a situation you didn't expect, or that you misjudged. But, understand timing, balance, leverage, and being careful should mean you don't get into those situations. A light push in the right direction, at the right time, is as good as some oaf like me just pushing until it gives.

I was a ground hog, but a great mate who climbed was always trying to get his weight up to 65kg. And he made a living on it for a decade or so.

And what the others said...you'll needs strength...so make sure you are fit and strong for your size.

And be tenacious. Tackle the job...get the job done. Solve problems so your boss doesn't know there were problems. That advice works in any job, in any industry. You want a promotion? Help your boss get one.

Back