562 XP fuel delivery issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terpjr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a Husqvarna 562 xp with an apparent fuel delivery issue.

Haven’t done much cutting the last two years...most of my wood is getting delivered in bucked rounds (pretty sweet deal). But even so, my 562 has been running flawlessly. Started it up for the first time since summer yesterday and it would not start. I did my usual procedure - a couple pumps of the purge bulb, flip the choke up, two pulls, fire, flip the choke down, 2 pulls and run. Except it did not run.
I then noticed a hole in the purge bulb...and noticed that it was not filling with fuel when purging.
I replaced that today.
It would not fill with fuel unless laying on its side. Upright it would not fill.
On its side it runs, upright it fires after purging, runs for 10 seconds and dies.

1. Is the bulb supposed to fill with fuel when purging? I have never paid attention until there is now a problem....I don’t remember what is right. I feel like it usually fills.
2. I assume the problem is somewhere in the tank...like...if it is on its side the line in the tank is under fuel so it isn’t sucking air...but then when it is upright it is sucking air...not really sure.

Inspecting the lines that are visible when I remove the air filter revel no cracks or obvious issues...

With the 562 - what is going on inside the tanks? From the parts diagrams, it appears there is a tank vent...what is the replacement procedure? How much line is attached? How does a person fish it out?

Thanks.

1. Yes, when pushed you push fuel from the carb to the tank, and when you let go of the bulb it sucks fuel from te tank again. (So it fills up)
2. The tank vent is the small white 'plug' in the tank, I believe it has no line attached. You can test it by trying to blow air into the tank (should be possible), and trying to suck air out of the tank (should not be possible).
I don't know if the tank vent changed over the years though, it's like this on mine at least (2015).
562-tank-vent-jpg.504305

If you want to pull the fuel lines from the tank to inspect them, you can just fish them out using a hook made out of some wire.
You won't be able to examine them fully or replace them that way though.

The lines are pushed into the 'carb floor'. Pulling/reinstalling them requires pulling them through the floor from underneath which requires you to remove the carb and pull them through from the top again.
It's not a hard job, but also not something you do in 5 minutes if you've never done that before.

This is what's underneath the carb:
carb_floor_lines.JPG

I believe that you have it backwards on the tank vent operation. The vent allows air into the tank to replace the fuel that was used but won't allow fuel to flow out of the vent when the saw is flipped on it's side of with the bar pointing up or down.
1. OP are you sure the primer is installed the same way it came out and the hoses on the same way?
2. Check for a hole in the fuel line. Remove the fuel line from the carb and put your vacuum pump with a length of clear hose and draw the fuel into the hose. Flip the saw on it's side to see if that makes a difference.
As will all things fuel related - Safety first!
2stroker

I believe that you have it backwards on the tank vent operation. The vent allows air into the tank to replace the fuel that was used but won't allow fuel to flow out of the vent when the saw is flipped on it's side of with the bar pointing up or down.

That's what I'm saying?
Should be possible to blow air into the tank, but not suck it out. (Through the vent of course)

My mistake, sorry. I misinterpreted the "blow air into the tank as going through the fuel hole or fuel line.
Carry on.
2stroker

1. OP are you sure the primer is installed the same way it came out and the hoses on the same way?
2. Check for a hole in the fuel line. Remove the fuel line from the carb and put your vacuum pump with a length of clear hose and draw the fuel into the hose. Flip the saw on it's side to see if that makes a difference.
As will all things fuel related - Safety first!
2stroker

Thanks for the responses...
Thanks Chopper88 for the pic...it helps to make the parts diagrams make more sense...

I am wondering if I, initially, have the purge bulb set up backwards...
So, if I am understanding correctly, the section should be on the side that goes to the short zig-zag hose/line that goes to the carb? and the pushing of air should be on the other line that returns to the tank?

I ordered fuel line that goes into tank from a local shop, figured better safe than sorry...but will try to reverse bulb when I get home.

I did flip it around but may not have given it a fair shot as I was getting frustrated and that orientation seemed counterintuitive at the time.

Thanks again.

Never use ethanol fuel in your saw. That destroys plastic and rubber, and will make those primer bulbs crack.

1. Yes, when pushed you push fuel from the carb to the tank, and when you let go of the bulb it sucks fuel from te tank again. (So it fills up)
2. The tank vent is the small white 'plug' in the tank, I believe it has no line attached. You can test it by trying to blow air into the tank (should be possible), and trying to suck air out of the tank (should not be possible).
I don't know if the tank vent changed over the years though, it's like this on mine at least (2015).
562-tank-vent-jpg.504305

If you want to pull the fuel lines from the tank to inspect them, you can just fish them out using a hook made out of some wire.
You won't be able to examine them fully or replace them that way though.

The lines are pushed into the 'carb floor'. Pulling/reinstalling them requires pulling them through the floor from underneath which requires you to remove the carb and pull them through from the top again.
It's not a hard job, but also not something you do in 5 minutes if you've never done that before.

This is what's underneath the carb:
View attachment 680992

Where on the saw is the tank vent?
'
Not too sure based on pic.

This is how it's supposed to be routed:
20180724_191048.jpg 20180724_191123 (1).jpg
Not the clearest pics, I didn't take them on purpose for this but had them as a reference on my own rebuild.
If it's not clear enough, let me know I'll try to take some better ones and explain as needed.

It sounds like you also have it on this way, but I'm not 100% sure.

Where on the saw is the tank vent?
'
Not too sure based on pic.

It's on the right side on the tank itself, underneath the top cover clip. Here you'll see it more clearly:
tank_001_1024x1024.jpeg

Back