562XP Leaking Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIdaho

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I am hoping you might point in the right direction or confirm my thoughts on next steps regarding my Husky 562XP. This has been a really great saw and I work it pretty hard at times, but it has never given me any problems until recently.
The saw is an early 2015 vintage according to the serial tag on it, and last fall I noticed a bit of a leak of bar oil -- not just a few drips of oil coming from the chain or bar but it was sitting in a pool of bar oil. I thought that was really strange as it had never leaked oil previously.

Long story short, I ordered the oil hose, oil pump and the chain guide plate (has the opening for the end of oil hose and the bar mounts against it) as these are all the parts that I figured might have a part in an bar oil leak (that is everything between the oil tank and the bar itself). When all the parts came in, I disassembled the saw and couldn't see any problem with any of the parts. I went ahead and reassembled it using all the new parts (and bagged up all the old parts as possible spares). Everything looked great, so I went ahead and filled the oil tank with bar oil and set the saw on some cardboard.

This morning there is a pool of oil on the cardboard! There was oil in the tank, but I never even started the saw so I am thinking that the oil hasn't even gone thru the new oil pump. That leads me to this post -- Any suggestions on what to do with this saw next?

I am seeing the sintered bronze filter and check valve that make up the tank vent in the parts diagram as another possible source of the leak -- anybody run into problems with that check valve going bad? I am not exactly sure how you would change it - dig the filter out some how and then how does the check valve come out and reseat?

Anybody have issues with the gasket between the 2 halves of the crankcase/oil tank assembly? How involved would changing that gasket be? I am pretty mechanically inclined (changing headgaskets and such on cars, disassembly of carburetors on motorcycles and ATVs) but I haven't gone into the saws that far.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

So after being really frustrated with the saw still leaking I dug into it some more to see if I could figure out where exactly it was leaking.

I should also mention a few more facts about the saw.
  • It is actually a 562XPW (Wrap Handle)
  • I bought it brand new from a dealer in early 2016 (late winter/early spring) as an upgrade to my 266SE and L65 saws (the L65 was my dad's 1'st Husqvarna and still runs GREAT))
  • Serial tag shows it was built in 2015
  • Its not been used commercially (just here on our place in northern Idaho and our lake place in western Montana)
  • Dealer is no longer in business (long time local shop that loggers in the area used and has since gone out of business as the owner retired)
First I did some checking to see if it was leaking out of the oil tank vent between the bar mount bolts. After checking it out, I couldn't find any evidence that that was the cause of the leak, and I was seeing more oil near the gasket between the 2 halve of the crankcase/oil tank.
I took the wrap handle off and undid the anti-vibration mounts so that I could move the control handle/gas tank to get to the bottom of the crankcase.
Once I got that far, it didn't take me long to figure out what was going on -- someone used the WRONG SCREWS when they assembled the full wrap handle onto the saw.
You can see the 2 spots on the bottom of the crankcase where the screws have been wearing holes thru the case.
IMG_20220413_162008449_HDR.jpg
the one on the left is all the way thru to the ignition/starter area and the right is on the bottom of the bar oil tank and is where the oil is leaking from.

So now the Question is where to go from here?
This was a definite mistake by someone of using the wrong screws at this location.
Like I said the shop I bought it from is out of business.
The factory warranty has expired so I am doubtful that Husqvarna will do anything for me.

IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks

Bob

I think liquid metal would work, but I'm not sure.In the new saws many manufacturing errors began to appear

So after being really frustrated with the saw still leaking I dug into it some more to see if I could figure out where exactly it was leaking.

I should also mention a few more facts about the saw.
  • It is actually a 562XPW (Wrap Handle)
  • I bought it brand new from a dealer in early 2016 (late winter/early spring) as an upgrade to my 266SE and L65 saws (the L65 was my dad's 1'st Husqvarna and still runs GREAT))
  • Serial tag shows it was built in 2015
  • Its not been used commercially (just here on our place in northern Idaho and our lake place in western Montana)
  • Dealer is no longer in business (long time local shop that loggers in the area used and has since gone out of business as the owner retired)
First I did some checking to see if it was leaking out of the oil tank vent between the bar mount bolts. After checking it out, I couldn't find any evidence that that was the cause of the leak, and I was seeing more oil near the gasket between the 2 halve of the crankcase/oil tank.
I took the wrap handle off and undid the anti-vibration mounts so that I could move the control handle/gas tank to get to the bottom of the crankcase.
Once I got that far, it didn't take me long to figure out what was going on -- someone used the WRONG SCREWS when they assembled the full wrap handle onto the saw.
You can see the 2 spots on the bottom of the crankcase where the screws have been wearing holes thru the case.
View attachment 981178
the one on the left is all the way thru to the ignition/starter area and the right is on the bottom of the bar oil tank and is where the oil is leaking from.

So now the Question is where to go from here?
This was a definite mistake by someone of using the wrong screws at this location.
Like I said the shop I bought it from is out of business.
The factory warranty has expired so I am doubtful that Husqvarna will do anything for me.

IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks

Bob
JB Weld. Build up the tank pocket, and permanently seal that. Fab a small piece of metal, and do the same thing on left. Wait 2 days to harden. Re-Assemble with correct screws. Use the saw forever.

Just found my 562XP has the same issue. I've never had the saw apart. Kind of makes you wonder if it was assembled that way at the factory. Looks exactly like yours. I'm going to give the JB weld a go and I'll let you know how it works out.

Back